Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What did you do to your Beetle this week?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 283, 284, 285 ... 315, 316, 317  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
MeeferMadness
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:14 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

Took my October 58 car in for alignment. Unfortunately the drivers side front wheel had camber issues. Either the shims were set wrong or there is something bent. Will investigate and hopefully correct the problem.
Bruce
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Murt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 6:44 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

Just sitting down to watch the football game (soccer I guess for you guys) Very Happy
Today, I’ve just pulled my headlights apart, checked and cleaned everything and re-assembled with Bosch yellow headlight glass and new rubbers
I hate those spring clips Very Happy Very Happy

2017 Golf GTD saloon
2008 VW EOS 2.0 TFSi
TastyTuner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 6:12 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

Beetle in the garage finally has working brakes after replacing everything. gathered up some friends for a brew at my house then headed to a car show for the afternoon.

scottyrocks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:01 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

In the ongoing search for the answer to why my car has an occasional stumble I pulled apart the carburetor looking for the piece of schmutz that would be randomly blocking a critical passage.

Alas, there was none to be found, but I did clean up the jets (with a piece of straw whisk from a broom). Also, the float needle valve was moving, but with some difficulty. I cleaned that up so it now slides smoothly.

Put it all back together, adjusted the idle mixture screw, but the occasional miss is still there, curiously still, after the car has been driven about 5 minutes, getting worse the longer the car is driven.

Now it will be on to the main wiring, starting at the battery, and moving to the pieces that connect to the back of the light switch.
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:22 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

Anticipating a cruise tomorrow (that's not gonna happen).

I adjusted the brakes, checked the tire pressures, changed the oil, adjusted the valve lash, reinstalled the heater ducts, reinstalled the 010 distributor after discovering that the carbon button in the cap had left home without sending a forwarding address. Set the timing with a stroboscopic timing light @ 32° at 3k plus rpm. Adjusted the carbs

I had some time left over.
So I worked on rebuilding the engine I have on the stand. I installed the lower cylinder air deflector tins, push rod tubes with new seals. Torqued the heads after applying sealant to the bottom side of the washers that are in the rocker box.
Tomorrow morning. I'll check the head torque and begin cutting the chromo push rods.

All in all. I think I had a very productive day.

Have a great weekend.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
Cali_Army_Guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:29 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

Built my short block for the literal 4th time last night only to pull it apart yet again because two studs in the case were stripped and wouldn’t tighten. Got that fixed today and will try again tomorrow. Quite possibly the most frustrating engine build of my life.
57BLITZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 11:12 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

Drove my '62 to work everyday this week!
I adjusted the points in my 009 Wednesday night . . . probably didn't need adjusting, but wanted my son to see what's inside a distributor.
This is the engine I put together a couple years ago . . . assembled with spare, used parts I had laying around along with two cylinders I purchased from Pick-N-Pull to replace the rusted ones . . .

centerpunch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 1:28 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

Finally installed my modified speaker panel with gauges, and the vintage Momo steering wheel I found on ebay. Virtually all aftermarket steering wheels have angled spokes with either holes or slots, I thought this simpler design would be a better fit in a vintage bug.
scottyrocks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 2:50 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

This weekend I finished up the front end wiring cleanup, and began the fuel system refresh, beginning with the tank, which is out of the car now.

Replaced burnt wires, installed inline fuses, a new light switch, and a new, modern turn signal flasher.

The electrical cleanup did not solve my occasional miss issue, but every light now works, and the directionals flash like a modern car.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 3:03 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

centerpunch wrote:
Finally installed my modified speaker panel with gauges, and the vintage Momo steering wheel I found on ebay. Virtually all aftermarket steering wheels have angled spokes with either holes or slots, I thought this simpler design would be a better fit in a vintage bug.

The new (old) steering wheel looks super nice. Gauges are awesome too.

What's the deal with the VS shift lever? You gonna install that too?
I have one and it shifts great.

Thanks for posting this pic.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
centerpunch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 4:26 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

67rustavenger wrote:

Thanks! The car came with a Gene Berg shifter, but it seems too short to me, plus I hate T-handle shifters. I found an Austin-Healey Amco shift knob that I retapped to fit the VS shifter, so that will go on next.

Doing this car “old school,” like I would have done in high school (1970’s). Also used the Vintage 190 alloy wheels that look like steelies. (Since I took this photo I have painted the brake hubs black- the car has disc brakes).

pdaddy68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:03 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

Helped my 6 year old install a steering wheel Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 5:40 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

centerpunch wrote:
67rustavenger wrote:

Thanks! The car came with a Gene Berg shifter, but it seems too short to me, plus I hate T-handle shifters. I found an Austin-Healey Amco shift knob that I retapped to fit the VS shifter, so that will go on next.

Doing this car “old school,” like I would have done in high school (1970’s). Also used the Vintage 190 alloy wheels that look like steelies. (Since I took this photo I have painted the brake hubs black- the car has disc brakes).

Those wheels are nice too. I didn't know anyone made a stockish looking alloy wheel. Even though those appear to be designed for a Porsche Speedster. At least they come in wide five lug pattern.
You'll like the VS shift lever. I have one in my 67 and it shifts very precisely.
BTW. From what I have searched and found online. The bumper brackets on 67's are grey. Not black. Just sayin! Smile
Nice looking car.

Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 5:51 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

Noticed that my brake lights were not functioning yesterday morning. When I got home from work. I started probing the wiring looking for what the issue was. I found that there was no continuity between the "T-2" wiring splitter and the MC.
Removed the lower brake wiring harness and soaked the connections in white vinegar. Then gave them a little scrub to clean up the connections. Checked the continuity and found all was good. Reinstalled the harness.
Go figure, I now have brake lights again.

While I had the gas tank out. I added a jumper with a diode between the + and - posts on the electric fuel pump.
It was acting up a bit with continuous running when there was no rpm detected. It should only run for 3 seconds before shutting off.
After the diode jumper was installed. The pump behaves as designed.
Key on wait 3 second, pump off. Perfect!

Have a great week.

centerpunch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:53 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

67rustavenger wrote:
Those wheels are nice too. I didn't know anyone made a stockish looking alloy wheel. Even though those appear to be designed for a Porsche Speedster. At least they come in wide five lug pattern.
You'll like the VS shift lever. I have one in my 67 and it shifts very precisely.
BTW. From what I have searched and found online. The bumper brackets on 67's are grey. Not black. Just sayin! Smile
Nice looking car.

Here is the info on the wheels- I used silver, 4.5F and 5.5R.
https://www.vintagespyders.com/product/vintage-190/

Yes, the car is very nice, but certainly not 100% correct, which I really don't care about anyway. Rear bumpers are also wrong I think.

I've also converted to clear front turn signal lenses, rewired with switchback LEDs for white DRL and amber turn.

Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 5:29 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

Note to self: Always check the float level on your ready to install dual carbs!

That said. I checked the float level on my Dellorto 36 carbs and found that they were too low. Causing the engine to run very funky. Like it was completely out of sync.
Once the float level was corrected. The throttle response is great with no more stumble when squeezing the fun pedal. Just a smooth acceleration through the power band.

I also reset the timing further advanced to 36° advance at 3200+ rpm. I have semi hemi heads. So I can run more timing advance.

I also have an engine on the stand in the garage. I installed the tins and headers. Carbs too.

alex857
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 2:16 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

Did some colorful autumn driving:

HippyTom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 5:12 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

Took my 63 to a fancy pants car show on a fancy pants golf course about an hour north. Nice cool morning, nice drive, even used my heater a bit. Was cruising up the parkway at 80 and passed a pair of old TR6s heading that way. Talked to them at the show and they were hi5ing me at getting their doors blown off by a Bug.

140 cars and I was the only VW. Great day, got lots of love representing Dubs and even brought home some hardware.

The only drive I’ve had down the middle of a fairway all year.

63 Sunroof Bug, Former Herbie, Dad bought in 66
79 Super Beetle Convertible, OG paint and interior
69 Weekender Bus
77 Bay Window Bus, OG paint
69 Bug Convertible - SOLD
71 Super Beetle Vert - SOLD
64 Karmann-Ghia, barn find - SOLD
pdaddy68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 8:27 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

Very cool , gotta love those 63s😀
1984 Jetta (white)
1963 type 1 (turkis)
1966 Type2 11 window
2008 Frontier king cab 4x4
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 9:13 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

I finally got around to painting a couple spare wheels with good clips I had on hand, threw tires on them along with some balancing beads, and bolted them on the car. Knocked the dents out of some hub caps I picked up at Dubsplash a few months ago, cleaned them up, and popped them in place... must say I'm pretty happy for how they came out considering I paid $20 for the whole set. I rounded out the week by taking a 120 mile drive around some backroads and byways today.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 283, 284, 285 ... 315, 316, 317  Next
Jump to:
Page 284 of 317

Jump to: