Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Automatic Transmission Rebuilding 101
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Multi69s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 5:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Automatic Transmission Rebuilding 101 Reply with quote

From what I have found, I don't believe the 76 automatic is an 003, but an 010 (I could be wrong though). I could not find my transporter Bentley, so I looked at the Rock Auto web site, where I usually buy my rebuild kits. They listed different part numbers for the 76 Transporter (out of stock), and the 003 that we use in the Type 3s. I then was able to find my Transporter Bentley and this is what it said.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I then went back to rock auto, and the 73-75 Transporters use the 003 kit. However, all is not lost. Give these folks a call, they should be able to tell you for sure what you have, and it looks like they have what you need in stock.

http://www.bulkpart.com/2/category/VW-010Bannerkit.html
Gone but not forgotten 72 Baja Bug 2010
My builds
T4 into Squareback http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=458944&highlight=
Auto Trans Rebuild http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=516066&highlight=
AC in Squareback https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
i_luv_my_bus76
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 5:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Automatic Transmission Rebuilding 101 Reply with quote

Multi69s wrote:
From what I have found, I don't believe the 76 automatic is an 003, but an 010 (I could be wrong though). I could not find my transporter Bentley, so I looked at the Rock Auto web site, where I usually buy my rebuild kits. They listed different part numbers for the 76 Transporter (out of stock), and the 003 that we use in the Type 3s. I then was able to find my Transporter Bentley and this is what it said.

I then went back to rock auto, and the 73-75 Transporters use the 003 kit. However, all is not lost. Give these folks a call, they should be able to tell you for sure what you have, and it looks like they have what you need in stock.

http://www.bulkpart.com/2/category/VW-010Bannerkit.html

@Multi69s you are a good dude. Thank you for helping me out
neildohert10
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 4:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Automatic Transmission Rebuilding 101 Reply with quote

Hi, I have put a rebuild kit in the gearbox and am trying to reattach it to the diff. I am having trouble getting the splines to line up so that the box goes on. Does anyone know a tip to get the various shfts rotating as you slide the gearbox onto its mounting bolts please? Shocked
neildohert10
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 5:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Automatic Transmission Rebuilding 101 Reply with quote

Hi,
I have reassembled the gearbox and am wondering how you setup the brake band adjustments. At this stage I am planning on returning them to their original position before the rebuild, but noticed you had them compltely backed off. So guess there must be some sort of a guideline for the amount of clearance to begin with ? Thanks again for the great guide.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 8:22 am    Post subject: Re: Automatic Transmission Rebuilding 101 Reply with quote

neildohert10 wrote:
Hi,
I have reassembled the gearbox and am wondering how you setup the brake band adjustments. At this stage I am planning on returning them to their original position before the rebuild, but noticed you had them compltely backed off. So guess there must be some sort of a guideline for the amount of clearance to begin with ? Thanks again for the great guide.

What are you using for a manual for directions for this? You need to have the brown Bentley type 3 manual.

If memory serves....... there are directions for tightening bands down to a specific torque and then backing off the lock nut a specific amount.

Also....for your previous issue of shafts and splines.....you MUST MUST MUST MUST.....be extremely careful that the inner lobe shaped....smallest drive shaft in the center....is exactly engaged....perfectly....in the oil pump. The only way to insure this is to look at the oil pump alignment with a flashlight...pre-align the shaft....and install it.

Its virtually impossible to tell otherwise that its engaged.

If you have then spent considerable time rattling the box around to get splines to line up....once you figure out why this is happening .....you need to stop...recheck that the inner oil pump shaft has not slid out.

If this shaft disengages.....your effects upon reassembly and start up range from driving a,short ways before it fully disengages....or no drive at all....and constant revving will eventually burn things up because there is no oil being pumped. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Typ3nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 7:56 am    Post subject: Re: Automatic Transmission Rebuilding 101 Reply with quote

Volkswagen 003 Automatic Transmission Kits Update ...
I'm planning on rebuilding an Volkswagen 003 Auto Trans for my 1973 stock Type 3 and have found a couple companies TransTec & Cobra Transmission offering a Master, Banner & Overhaul Kit. There are some kits offered that include a modulator. Was wondering what others that have rebuilt recently are using and what else beside these kits should be purchased for the rebuilding process, such as modulator, filter, trans goo etc.
This is a great tread and has inspired me to give it a go on a rebuild.
gheezerghia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 8:02 am    Post subject: Re: Automatic Transmission Rebuilding 101 Reply with quote

I had my Tranny rebuilt at Rancho by Harold Carter. I bet if you gave Rancho a call and asked to speak with him about rebuilding your tranny he would help you out with what to purchase and possibly give you some pointers too.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: Automatic Transmission Rebuilding 101 Reply with quote

Typ3nut wrote:
Volkswagen 003 Automatic Transmission Kits Update ...
I'm planning on rebuilding an Volkswagen 003 Auto Trans for my 1973 stock Type 3 and have found a couple companies TransTec & Cobra Transmission offering a Master, Banner & Overhaul Kit. There are some kits offered that include a modulator. Was wondering what others that have rebuilt recently are using and what else beside these kits should be purchased for the rebuilding process, such as modulator, filter, trans goo etc.
This is a great tread and has inspired me to give it a go on a rebuild.

if you can GET a modulator...get one. They are not easy to find...and there is is more than one modulator part #...so while its adjustable...its not always perfect.

The modulator is in series with teh valve body. I will have to look in the "Without Guesswork book"...but from memory I 'think"...there were 3-4 different ones used between transmissions in type 3 and 4 cars....both of which are interchangeable. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 1:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Automatic Transmission Rebuilding 101 Reply with quote

Also, there were colored paint marks on some... not sure why it signified, and haven't found a reference of what the various colors meant.
Typ3nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 7:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Automatic Transmission Rebuilding 101 Reply with quote

Ray,
I Thank You for your wealth of knowledge in the F.I. and 003 trans treads, these have helped guide me through many repairs.
After reading countless treads on the 003 Auto Trans, I guess that what my question was directed more towards was the "Quality" of these parts that come in the Master Kits available, such as metal and rubber items. Also, any other parts needed that may be required which are not included in these kits for reassembly.
Info gathered for the Type 3 fully automatic vacuum modulators
part#
003 325 391 (no letter) - dual carb
003 325 391 A (yellow stripe) - F.I. : 1968 thru 1971
003 325 391 C (brown stripe) - F.I. : 1972 & 1973
Color stripe signifies the years used.
Multi69s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 4:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Automatic Transmission Rebuilding 101 Reply with quote

As Ray stated, if you can find a kit with a new modulator, GET IT. Also, PM me the site that has these has these. I had a total modulator failure when my car sat for about 2 months, as I was building the AC system. It literally sucked the ATF out of the trans.

When you are selecting which modulator to get, in "most" cases you want to get one that matches the intake system of the car that the trans came out of.

The reason I say this is that the governor, valve body, and modulator are set to work together at the factory. All the engine does is to supply vacuum. In fact on working on these trans, I have seen four completely different valve body arrangements. Therefore, in my experience, I believe that for a stock application, all the 3 items previously mentioned should match, even if the trans is going in another vehicle. In most cases, if all of the components match, you can swap the trans between cars, and adjust the modulator to match the engine's vacuum signature.

If these items don't match then your shift points won't be where they are supposed to be. As an example, I've done a little playing, and now my current trans setup is:

With the kickdown switch disconnected, when I floor it, the trans doesn't up shift until about 5000 rpm. With the kickdown switch connected, its about 5500 rpm, so its kind of in sport mode. The down side is that if you get in any irregular traffic, the trans will try and hunt for the right gear. The reason I bring this up is that, I created this change, by altering, the relationship of the previously mentioned items, and this configuration WOULD NOT be enjoyable to drive with a stock engine.

However, after all of this, if it wasn't for Ray, this post would have never been written. He was and still is a mentor to me. If it wasn't for him, I would still be living in a Type 1 world only. He also keeps me in check, if I go astray. Good luck with the trans build, and keep us informed.
My builds
T4 into Squareback http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=458944&highlight=
Auto Trans Rebuild http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=516066&highlight=
AC in Squareback https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 6:20 am    Post subject: Re: Automatic Transmission Rebuilding 101 Reply with quote

I am mid-way through the restoration of a type III with a fully automatic trans. I am trying to learn what the largest engine is that can be matched up. I have been told that going too large could have some affect on the vacuum. Anyhow any advice would be appreciated. Thanks much.
1977 Porsche 911S
gheezerghia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 9:51 am    Post subject: Re: Automatic Transmission Rebuilding 101 Reply with quote

Js, Yesterday I drove my fully Automatic 71 Fastback with it’s newly installed 2.5 Subaru motor in it. It’s my understanding that that motor is rated at 165hp. It shifted nicely but I don’t believe the kick down switch was working? When I punched it it definitely didn’t drop down to a lower gear. If anyone reading this has any input regarding my switch I’m all ears. Hope this helps
Multi69s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 3:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Automatic Transmission Rebuilding 101 Reply with quote

Two replies here:

Engine size is not really a problem with the auto, its getting the proper vacuum signal to the modulator that is important. You need to supply manifold vacuum to the modulator. The cam you go with will have more affect then the size of the engine (lobe centers, overlap). a large mild engine will be easier to get the shifting right, then a small wild engine. On my 2L type 4 engine with dual DCNFs, they had manifold vacuum ports on the carbs.

I ended up tying all four together and running them to the trans. If the carb vacuum ports are below the butterflies, its manifold vacuum, if they are above the butterflies it is distributer vacuum.

Its almost like a cross over tube, but if you notice, the tubes are very small diameter. Vacuum doesn't need large hoses, if you do go large, it will act like a cross over tube, and make tuning difficult.

As far as the kickdown switch, it is purely an electrical device. The throttle contacts a micro switch which send power to the kick down switch causing a down shift. Here is a pic of my setup.

You pull power from the 12V side of the coil and run it to the micro switch. Then when you floor it close the micro switch and send 12V to the kick down.

So check your linkage to make sure the micro switch is engaging, check to see that 12V is leaving it when engaged. You may want to throw up a picture of your linkage.
My builds
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 12:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Automatic Transmission Rebuilding 101 Reply with quote

Guys. Thank you so much for the details. Very helpful to understand. If it were not so rare I would swap the gear box out for a stick. Then again it does not seen too difficult to navigate especially with your guidance and experience.
1977 Porsche 911S
Multi69s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 1:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Automatic Transmission Rebuilding 101 Reply with quote

Two ways to think about it, if you want a stop light to stop light racer a wild engine with a four speed may seem like a logical choice. However, the same setup in a bug will eat you alive (as will most modern cars). However, a large but mild (and quiet) engine with an auto will catch a lot of people off guard. Most people don't even know what a Squareback is. So when you are cruising, then punch it and torque away, they get really curious. Plus, your left leg doesn't get tired in traffic.
My builds
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 12:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Automatic Transmission Rebuilding 101 Reply with quote

Multi69s wrote:
Two ways to think about it, if you want a stop light to stop light racer a wild engine with a four speed may seem like a logical choice. However, the same setup in a bug will eat you alive (as will most modern cars). However, a large but mild (and quiet) engine with an auto will catch a lot of people off guard. Most people don't even know what a Squareback is. So when you are cruising, then punch it and torque away, they get really curious. Plus, your left leg doesn't get tired in traffic.

Yup, my wife's 70 Fastback with AT is a fun to drive car. With the AT adjusted correctly, it's like driving a go kart. The 2 pedals make it fun, because you're only working the gas and the brake. Not to mention when you tip the throttle just enough, you can get it to kick down for better acceleration.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
gheezerghia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 6:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Automatic Transmission Rebuilding 101 Reply with quote

So I have a rebuilt tranny and because I'm not sure the pressures were tested by the builder I've elected to do them myself. So far the "Main Pressure" (116-120 psi) at 1000 rpm is 125 psi, and the "Primary Throttle Pressure" is 42 psi. I've reconnected the vacuum modulator and the Throttle Press. was 0 psi and the Main Press. was 54 psi. The car has Subaru 2.5 liter motor so I'm concerned about the next phase of testing where it requires you to give it full throttle in both Drive and Reverse! Any suggestions as to how to proceed? Give it throttle until you see the numbers your looking for, or not? Obviously I don't want to destroy anything. Thanks for the help
Multi69s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 3:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Automatic Transmission Rebuilding 101 Reply with quote

Sorry I've been away for awhile. Because of age, and previous injuries, I am moving from dirt bikes to a Polaris RZR. Those that know me, know that nothing of mine remains stock, so I have been learning and experimenting with my new toy.

GGhia - the full throttle test you are talking about is a test of the torque converter. I wouldn't worry about it or do it. I have found that most torque converter failures are caused by the owner. When they install the engine, they don't line up the pump shaft right and crack the pump.

One thing about the T3 torque converter is that it has a very low stall speed. If you have trouble at a stop and idling, you might want to go to a 010 bus torque converter (That's what I am running), or have yours altered at a shop.

You "Might" have an issue concerning the shift points and the engine's power band. The shifting is a combo of engine vacuum, modulator, valve body, and the governor. If at WOT, it shifts too soon, 1st make sure that the electronic kick down is working. If it is working, than you can increase the trans pressure at the modulator valve. This will delay the upshifts as well as the down shifts. At one point, I had my Type 4 powered Squareback upshifting at around 5,800 RPM. Good luck
My builds
Typ3nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 1:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Automatic Transmission Rebuilding 101 Reply with quote

In addition to the Brown Bentley this ATSG Volkswagen Models 003 - 010 Techtran Manual is equally as good, great technical service information and exploded views.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: