Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New Vanagon, new problems - '86 Syncro
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Multiman mv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 6:38 pm    Post subject: Re: New Vanagon, new problems - '86 Syncro Reply with quote

Have you looked into the airflow meter? Common cause of vanagon syndrome. You seem well versed in vanagon repair and have probably looked into it. If not, you might want to go down this route and at least get the Gowesty fix for the afm. If it’s not the issue causing the bucking, the signal filter might prevent it from occurring in the future. It will be 62 dollars well spent.

http://www.gowesty.com/product/fuel-injection/23990/gowesty-signal-filter-for-air-flow-meter-
sethpat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 8:27 am    Post subject: Re: New Vanagon, new problems - '86 Syncro Reply with quote

Multiman mv wrote:
Have you looked into the airflow meter? Common cause of vanagon syndrome. You seem well versed in vanagon repair and have probably looked into it. If not, you might want to go down this route and at least get the Gowesty fix for the afm. If it’s not the issue causing the bucking, the signal filter might prevent it from occurring in the future. It will be 62 dollars well spent.

http://www.gowesty.com/product/fuel-injection/23990/gowesty-signal-filter-for-air-flow-meter-

Yeah it's on my list...

Frankenbus (sold)

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=674133&highlight=

1975 Westfalia
914 IV 1.7
93mm pistons
Weber 34 ICT's
Cam 264* .402 lift
sethpat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 12:37 pm    Post subject: Re: New Vanagon, new problems - '86 Syncro Reply with quote

Just took apart, checked and cleaned my AFM as illustrated in this thread
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=369815
And as of right now it's running perfect. I went ahead and cleaned my IAT sensor as well. My AFM was not showing any drops and had a max reading of about 4.5 volts. I moved the wiper manually as well as with the door.

I'm even more confused now than before haha.

Frankenbus (sold)

1975 Westfalia
914 IV 1.7
93mm pistons
Weber 34 ICT's
Cam 264* .402 lift
Multiman mv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 2:12 pm    Post subject: Re: New Vanagon, new problems - '86 Syncro Reply with quote

Well I guess you’re at least checking off the boxes through a process of elimination. I hope you get to the bottom of the issue. Nice looking work on the suspension, rust treatment and undercoating. You’ll get the running issues figured out. Keep up the good work.

With all the rust and corrosion on the underbody have you thought about checking the condition of the fuel tank? A small amount of rust and corrosion can wreak havoc on injectors. I wonder if it’s worth dropping the tank (a good time for a reseal and fuel line replacement if you haven’t crossed that bridge already) and check the condition inside the tank. Just a thought.
sethpat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 2:50 pm    Post subject: Re: New Vanagon, new problems - '86 Syncro Reply with quote

Multiman mv wrote:
Well I guess you’re at least checking off the boxes through a process of elimination. I hope you get to the bottom of the issue. Nice looking work on the suspension, rust treatment and undercoating. You’ll get the running issues figured out. Keep up the good work.

With all the rust and corrosion on the underbody have you thought about checking the condition of the fuel tank? A small amount of rust and corrosion can wreak havoc on injectors. I wonder if it’s worth dropping the tank (a good time for a reseal and fuel line replacement if you haven’t crossed that bridge already) and check the condition inside the tank. Just a thought.

Thank you very much, I appreciate it. I took a fuel sample early on when I replaced my fuel filter and did not see any signs of water or rust, so I've kinda ruled that out. Great suggestion though, thank you.

Frankenbus (sold)

1975 Westfalia
914 IV 1.7
93mm pistons
Weber 34 ICT's
Cam 264* .402 lift
crukab
Samba Chef

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 11:02 am    Post subject: Re: New Vanagon, new problems - '86 Syncro Reply with quote

I was wondering if that Syncro was a "Bag of Snakes" when I saw it for sale.
Did you tow it from Baltimore, or drive it ??

My Pops:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604100&highlight=
I know you will always be with me, rest in peace with no more pain. 8/13/14.....

In the yard right now:
'51 Dodge 5 window truck
'65 Bug
'66 Singlecab
'82 Rabbit Truck Diesel from CALI Smile
'86 Doublecab W/T
'91 Vanagon carat/wolfsbrg.Tiico
'88 Dodge Ram pickup
'11 Jetta Wagon
sethpat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:14 pm    Post subject: Re: New Vanagon, new problems - '86 Syncro Reply with quote

Totally missed that last post. It was definitely a "bag of snakes" but I'm getting it sorted slowly but surely. I put in on the auto train after driving from Burlington to Baltimore.

I've driven about 400 miles since the AFM work with zero issues, combined highway and city driving. Been messing with some small stuff when I can.

Swapped out the switch for my defroster and vents, which is super nice to have that working. The coolest improvement so far is the addition of a top bunk. I didn't want to go through the hassle of sourcing a Westy bed and modifying the roof to make it work so I came up with my own solution and it looks great (I think) and is perfectly functional. This combines the benefit of the headroom on a tin top with the perks of a top bunk. Spent about $40 at Home Depot and some credit card points on Amazon for some memory foam. The original design had the front section folding out via hinges, but unfortunately there isn't enough room when folded back to close the pop top. Instead I just store it in the van or the rocket box and throw it up. Takes a full minute or so to set up and is quite sturdy. I've been up there with my wife with no worries. If anyone is interested I'm happy to share more info, I haven't seen anyone else do it any other way besides the Westy conversion.

I also got my diff locker panel working, which of course is one of the most exciting interior improvements besides maybe finding an OEM key. Also added a few stickers and minor maintenance including a new inner and outer bearing on my left rear, as well as changing the trans and front diff oil.

Time for photos.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Chicken in my Van

Napa has bulbs for the panel from an E36 (I believe) BMW that fit and are slightly brighter. If I come across the part number I'll post it here.

Top Bunk

Frankenbus (sold)

1975 Westfalia
914 IV 1.7
93mm pistons
Weber 34 ICT's
Cam 264* .402 lift
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:32 pm    Post subject: Re: New Vanagon, new problems - '86 Syncro Reply with quote

That friggin' chicken cracked me up! Keep it coming.
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:28 am    Post subject: Re: New Vanagon, new problems - '86 Syncro Reply with quote

Nice key pic. I've got my copy made, where exactly do you live..... Cool Cool Wink

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
sethpat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:34 am    Post subject: Re: New Vanagon, new problems - '86 Syncro Reply with quote

IdahoDoug wrote:
That friggin' chicken cracked me up! Keep it coming.

Ha! I thought it was pretty funny too. She loves getting in cars for whatever reason.

Frankenbus (sold)

1975 Westfalia
914 IV 1.7
93mm pistons
Weber 34 ICT's
Cam 264* .402 lift
sethpat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:35 am    Post subject: Re: New Vanagon, new problems - '86 Syncro Reply with quote

dobryan wrote:
Nice key pic. I've got my copy made, where exactly do you live..... Cool Cool Wink

Hahaha come on by! Just do me a favor and give my insurance agent a call once you're on the road. Best of luck finding the safety switch though.

Frankenbus (sold)

1975 Westfalia
914 IV 1.7
93mm pistons
Weber 34 ICT's
Cam 264* .402 lift
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:14 pm    Post subject: Re: New Vanagon, new problems - '86 Syncro Reply with quote

I've never passed the aux cord to a chicken before
MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:02 pm    Post subject: Re: New Vanagon, new problems - '86 Syncro Reply with quote

sethpat wrote:
... Also added a few stickers...

Laughing Laughing Laughing

The information age has morphed into the age of disinformation and willful ignorance. Agnotology!
Help the fight against Truth Decay.
Defend democracy, support Ukraine.
sethpat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 12:14 pm    Post subject: Re: New Vanagon, new problems - '86 Syncro Reply with quote

Hey friends, looking for a bit of input here. My 2.1 is still chugging along but just decided to pull it because all of my exhaust manifold gaskets were shot and leaking and I also had a pretty bad oil leak coming from a failing oil pump gasket. I threw in a new oil pump for the hell of it (a waste of money honestly after pulling the old one and realizing it was totally fine) and I'm replacing the rusty old manifold studs. I also plan on replacing all of the coolent lines since they're out and accessible. Just curious if you guys think there's anything else I should do while it's out without going too terribly far down a rabbit hole. I still want to eventually do a swap but figure I may as well keep running my waterboxer as long as it's running well.

Thanks for your time.

Seth

Frankenbus (sold)

1975 Westfalia
914 IV 1.7
93mm pistons
Weber 34 ICT's
Cam 264* .402 lift
Howesight
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 7:06 pm    Post subject: Re: New Vanagon, new problems - '86 Syncro Reply with quote

While you have removed some hoses and hardware in the area, you now have more room to replace the o-ring "gasket" between the oil cooler and the crankcase. These fail abruptly in the first cold weather encountered leaving many owners in tears with a huge oil leak.

If the water pump is old, it might be wise to replace it also.
Atadloco
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: New Vanagon, new problems - '86 Syncro Reply with quote

With your engine engine and transmission out, it'll be a good time to refresh your gas tank components. Could be the original sending unit so it may be worth just doing. I remember driving past that Syncro one day a few years ago on a back road trip through Vermont.
sethpat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 1:56 pm    Post subject: Re: New Vanagon, new problems - '86 Syncro Reply with quote

Hey there internet friends. Back at it with more vanagon problems. The suspension refresher, lathering of ospho and high quality undercoat got me through a couple years, thousands of miles and some really awesome camping trips however it’s time I face the music. The years of salt roads have caught up with the old girl and I have to make a decision, with your help. I either need to start tearing this thing down and commit to a restoration like I did with my bus (see link) or cut my losses on the old syncro and move on. If I commit to the restoration I’m going to need to find a donor westy for all of the needed metal/ interior and finally swap the roof. With this route I’m not sure if I should bother with all of that work or find a decent 2wd camper and swap all of the syncro components over. Please take a look at my rust photos and help me come to a conclusion
-
Seth

Frankenbus (sold)

1975 Westfalia
914 IV 1.7
93mm pistons
Weber 34 ICT's
Cam 264* .402 lift
sethpat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 1:57 pm    Post subject: Re: New Vanagon, new problems - '86 Syncro Reply with quote

Frankenbus (sold)

1975 Westfalia
914 IV 1.7
93mm pistons
Weber 34 ICT's
Cam 264* .402 lift
sethpat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 1:59 pm    Post subject: Re: New Vanagon, new problems - '86 Syncro Reply with quote

That drivers side rear jacking point/trailing arm support is my biggest concern at the moment. The sliding door channel is about 90% gone. You can see where I put in some angled aluminum so I could still open the door (worked pretty well honestly haha)

Frankenbus (sold)

1975 Westfalia
914 IV 1.7
93mm pistons
Weber 34 ICT's
Cam 264* .402 lift
ajdenette
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 7:18 pm    Post subject: Re: New Vanagon, new problems - '86 Syncro Reply with quote

I am not one to condemn a van easily but I would be looking for a 2WD westy donor to move the Syncro bits over to, I think that van is a bit too far gone with the rear cross member that both wheels attach to being that far gone and the front frame at the rear of the sub frame also showing so much rust I am betting the gas tank support area is gone as well.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=732777
1990 Vanagon Syncro Base awaiting body work
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: