Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Start with a new case they told me. Did I listen?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Trike Ike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 4:08 pm    Post subject: Start with a new case they told me. Did I listen? Reply with quote

Starting over.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Type 5 Joe
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 4:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Start with a new case they told me. Did I listen? Reply with quote

What happened?

Looks like a stroker engine?

I don't use the P.M. service on here.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 4:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Start with a new case they told me. Did I listen? Reply with quote

Ouch...

Also looks like the attack of the green slime...There is about 10x the amount there that is actually needed, hope you don't use that much on new case....

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...

Last edited by Dale M. on Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
jeffrey8164 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 4:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Start with a new case they told me. Did I listen? Reply with quote

Look on the bright side, now you will have a new case.
The real dilemma is what caused your failure.
I’m putting a 2276 together for my Ghia and even though I’ve built quite a few performance VW engines in my day, I still pucker up every time I start one for the first time.

Last edited by jeffrey8164 on Wed Oct 10, 2018 4:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vilihardrada
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 4:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Start with a new case they told me. Did I listen? Reply with quote

And is the crank still straight!
calvinater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 4:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Start with a new case they told me. Did I listen? Reply with quote

Whats that white stuff on case parting line?
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 5:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Start with a new case they told me. Did I listen? Reply with quote

If you started with a new case....
wouldn't' you just have a new case with a hole it?

I don't know. You don't have to say if you don't want to. We've all done it, although sometimes you can shut it off sooner and avoid the actual hole.
Type 5 Joe
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 5:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Start with a new case they told me. Did I listen? Reply with quote

Did it break a rod bolt?

Looks like the case was clearanced but the rods were not.

Hopefully he wasn't running "0" deck height... Or "0" deck height with copper heads gaskets like some would recommend. Bad Idea.

j-dub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Start with a new case they told me. Did I listen? Reply with quote

Years ago I had a 1776 that had a lifter bore break and the lifter got sent out of the case, it made a hole that looked very close to that.
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Start with a new case they told me. Did I listen? Reply with quote

I don't understand. Are you saying the new case would have contained a broken rod?
Trike Ike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Start with a new case they told me. Did I listen? Reply with quote

The hole is the old case ( short block ) I reused due to financial shortage. It was a single port 1300cc to start. Single relief. New 85.5 pistons, heads new dual port stock. Dual IDF.

I knew better than to upgrade but I did, and it broke a rod soon after. And ruined my case, the rod and number two piston. Also split the cam in half.

The new short block was built for me. The white stuff in the case halves is high temp silicone, I hope. I also ordered new pistons and cylinders. Its 1600cc with a engle 100 cam and I still want to use the Weber IDF.

It's for a trike I've been riding for 10 years

modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Start with a new case they told me. Did I listen? Reply with quote

Three Bond makes several kinds of white silicone flange sealant.
Trike Ike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Start with a new case they told me. Did I listen? Reply with quote

Hey Modok, I was hot rodding. I was deep down sub conciousness wanting a new short block so everything was new. I was high speed on the freeway. I heard a knocking after a slight loss in power and then it stopped as I revved it faster. So I kept going shortly after it lo nicked again and then clicked and let out its last gasp in the form of o puff of white smoke. "I should have" is my new best friend along with hindsight.
Trike Ike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Start with a new case they told me. Did I listen? Reply with quote

I used the green goo " curil t " on the cylinder to case because I did a lot of reading. It is supposed to expand with the engine and not harden so I thought. Should I use "ultra black" instead? I did also use valve lapping compound to rub the new cylinder to the new heads, cleaned after, so nothing was between the heads and cylinders.
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Start with a new case they told me. Did I listen? Reply with quote

Trike on the highway.. yeah I see, bit of wind noise? Can't hear well.

usually what happens, after it starts going south you can hear it, but then if it gets quieter you think that maybne it's not so bad?, but, why did it get quieter?... the 2 bearings shells climb on top of one another and then it grabs solid and explodes Shocked
FreeBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Start with a new case they told me. Did I listen? Reply with quote

modok wrote:
If you started with a new case....
wouldn't' you just have a new case with a hole it?

I don't know. You don't have to say if you don't want to. We've all done it, although sometimes you can shut it off sooner and avoid the actual hole.

Yeah, you got lucky! The new case would not have prevented a rod problem, you'd just be buying your 2nd new case... think of the money you saved! Now imagine you'd bought a TF-1 case first...you've saved even more!!

Loosing the new case would have just added insult to injury...
Bugsy61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:43 am    Post subject: Re: Start with a new case they told me. Did I listen? Reply with quote

Sorry for your bad luck. Really like your trike. Very sharp. What did you use for a frame?
Chip Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:04 am    Post subject: Re: Start with a new case they told me. Did I listen? Reply with quote

Type 5 Joe wrote:

Hopefully he wasn't running "0" deck height... Or "0" deck height with copper heads gaskets like some would recommend. Bad Idea.

Gonna have to explain yourself here... clearance is clearance. 0 deck is not clearance. But adding a copper shim at the top will get the same clearance as adding a shim at the bottom. You have to make sure that piece of copper doesn't have a smaller ID than the cylinder. Coppers work just fine. Plenty of us doing it successfully.
Trike Ike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:56 am    Post subject: Re: Start with a new case they told me. Did I listen? Reply with quote

Hey guys, I'm posting pics but they aren't in proper order. The case that has the hole is 1300cc upgraded to 1600cc dual port dual carb. The painted blue engine is that engine that failed due to not splitting the case and installing new bearings and pressure relief valve.

The broken case was on my bench. Picture taken.

Then I ordered a new short block. Dual reliefs AS41. Which is the plastic wrapped and then on my bench. I building the new one now.

I'm sure it will be great now that I have a solid base to build on.

Modok take a look at these, you described it well.

The new case is on my bench own as I type. I just installed dual port 8mm head studs with ultra black sealer. It has case savers.

My heads are new stock dual port 51cc chamber.

this is my new short block.
Type 5 Joe
Banned

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:06 am    Post subject: Re: Start with a new case they told me. Did I listen? Reply with quote

Hey Chip,

That is exactly it... But clearance is indeed clearance.

When you clearance the inside of a case... You give a little extra room for a rod bearing failure. At least .040" - .060" That way if there is a problem you don't slam the case.

Deck is the same... If you run "0" deck, and you spin a bearing, or if the bearing shells double up... The piston will slap the head.

If your turning 6000 RPM, the piston will hit the head at least a couple thousand times before you can shut it off.

I had a guy bring in his engine that did this... The piston shattered and a chunk got between the rod and the case (and lifter bores)... Exploded the engine.

-And yes, the copper "head gaskets" are not made precision along with most off-the-shelf bored heads (sloppy) to register exactly on center with piston clearance if needed.

Copper head gaskets are crap in my opinion... Glad you are having "good luck" with them.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: