Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

paint protection
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rebel2324
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 6:41 pm    Post subject: paint protection Reply with quote

I have a 57 that had received many small rock chips on the front fenders and hood. i have now repaired and repainted it and would like to hear from anyone that has used any type of clear film protection. I have called locally and no one is willing to install it on my car. I would like to coat the complete front fenders and the complete hood. They say that there are to many contours to use the clear film or the film would be stretched to tight and would not offer any protection. Has anyone had this done and if so which film was installed and what has your experience been with it? How about spray coatings? I know the old systems were not good but maybe there are better products out there now.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
xkotekng
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:51 am    Post subject: Re: paint protection Reply with quote

Hi, my small business is installing Xpel ppf and window tint( 13 years and counting) I am in the process of restoring a 58 beetle and was considering the same idea once its done. I have spent a few nights at home studying the panels, I have to agree doing a full front fender will prove quite difficult.
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:34 pm    Post subject: Re: paint protection Reply with quote

Maybe a front bra would be best for highway driving
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:09 pm    Post subject: Re: paint protection Reply with quote

Try clear Plastidip.
https://m.lowes.com/pd/Plasti-Dip-11-fl-oz-Clear-A...gKjw_D_BwE

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Rebel2324
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:18 pm    Post subject: Re: paint protection Reply with quote

I have watched videos on the xpel product. It would be really interesting to see whether it would go over an oval fender and whether it would still offer a great deal of protection. We have an RV that has a 3M film at the front and it still looks brand new after 12 years. The spray on material from a can seem to have a lot of both negative and positive reviews. I'm not sure the technology is advanced enough yet. Don't think I would attempt to wrap a fender myself because there is probably a big learning curve to applying it. I have also purchased a bra and am considering having an upholsterer friend customize it for the car and only using it to drive to car shows or on the highway. I know the perils of leaving one on or having it flap in the wind. The car is getting parked for the winter next week so hope to have an option by next spring. If you try the xpel ppf I would be really interested in your results, or anyone else's for that matter.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: