Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Spending money on upgrades to the Westy vs. Peace Vans Modern
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:03 am    Post subject: Re: Spending money on upgrades to the Westy vs. Peace Vans Modern Reply with quote

I just forwarded the link to a friend of ours. It looks like this is a good solution for getting out on the road without trying to do it in an antique. I'm on this forum about everyday, and the threads started, "I am on the road experiencing no problems" rarely get started. While not for us at this time, I see the market especially for a fleet of reliable rental vans. Nicely done. Does it have a shower and toilet? You'd really have something there with those two features.
Westified
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Spending money on upgrades to the Westy vs. Peace Vans Modern Reply with quote

Here is another option thst just came out. Looks like a modern Westy.
[img]
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
[/img]

This is made by Pleasure-way.
https://pleasureway.com/tofino/
photogdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Spending money on upgrades to the Westy vs. Peace Vans Modern Reply with quote

Westified wrote:
Here is another option thst just came out. Looks like a modern Westy.

This is made by Pleasure-way.
https://pleasureway.com/tofino/

69K...WOW! Shocked
I think my van's value just went up a notch!

My Westy Movies:
photogdave On Vimeo
photogdave On YouTube

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
elizer Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Spending money on upgrades to the Westy vs. Peace Vans Modern Reply with quote

Not sure why they didnt have the diesel option for the promaster. The 3.6 pentastar wasnt great in a jku Rubicon and cant see it being a good choice for a cargo van or camper
Mountain1.8t
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Spending money on upgrades to the Westy vs. Peace Vans Modern Reply with quote

Here's another new, bigger option with a pop top:

https://www.gohymer.com/aktiv-2-0-loft-edition-overview/

jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Spending money on upgrades to the Westy vs. Peace Vans Modern Reply with quote

MarkWard wrote:
I just forwarded the link to a friend of ours. It looks like this is a good solution for getting out on the road without trying to do it in an antique. I'm on this forum about everyday, and the threads started, "I am on the road experiencing no problems" rarely get started.

While a modern van is attractive and I'm sure there's one in my future, my modern cars (VWs with less than 50K miles) have been towed more than my Vanagons.

Dozens of trouble-free trips posted here where an SOS to the samba was unnecessary:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=517708

The Vanagon requires some special attention so it's not for everyone.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
Nuthin2It Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 4:50 am    Post subject: Re: Spending money on upgrades to the Westy vs. Peace Vans Modern Reply with quote

We saw this camper in Ireland. Alas, we'll likely never see one here.

jbmbenjamin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Spending money on upgrades to the Westy vs. Peace Vans Modern Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
I agree with Bobby about the hands on simple approach.

My Wife got a '16 Prius two years ago.
It ran great until Friday when it didn't........ at all.

I popped the hood, let out a heavy sigh, dropped the hood and moved everything to the Westy Vanagon which started right up and off we went for the weekend with no worries.

They just flat bedded the Prius off to Toyota Land.
I do NOT like running crap that I can't fix! Sadly we're upside down in it right now. $$'s

I may get the Ghia rolling and dump the Prius....... drive simple.

All that to say from experience, new Mercedes really do suck.

Dave

Dave,
Hope I’m not out of line here. And I apologize in advance if I am.
In response to your Prius issue.... My 05 had drive battery issues so I got a used module pack from an ‘11 and rebuilt it myself. Probably the most challenging automotive endever I’ve ever attempted. But much like the good folks on this Samba forum have been invaluable in helping me approach all the much needed repairs on my 83.5 Westy, there is a Prius forum called Prius Chat that gave me the courage to move forward to an ultimate success. They were just wonderfully helpful and supportive. Again, exactly like all you folks on the Samba.
If you wish, just PM me and I’ll point you in the direction of learning way more than you ever wanted to know about Prius repairs.
Again, sorry if I’m out of line here, but your posts have been especially helpful to me and I know to many, many others as well. Just trying to return the favor.
John
Energy Concepts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:40 am    Post subject: Re: Spending money on upgrades to the Westy vs. Peace Vans Modern Reply with quote

DanHoug wrote:
i see a few deciding factors on Westy ownership, not cast in stone but trends....

- the Spore. don't know what else to call this but some of us are infected with what can only be described as some sort of spore that gets into us and takes over all reason, there's just something about these vans that we gotta have. they aren't fast, don't get good mpg, breakdown, difficult in wind and fast traffic, and on yet we can't let go when maybe we should.

I could sign this quote: "Terence McKenna" ! Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
guzyk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 5:10 am    Post subject: Re: Spending money on upgrades to the Westy vs. Peace Vans Modern Reply with quote

Just watched the Tofino video, looks nice and modern and "Westy inspired" but $$$ at $70k.

At least there are plenty of shops that will work on it since it's a Dodge van underneath.

https://youtu.be/w5qGbbk922o

For comparison, a new $23k 1987 Westy in today's inflation adjusted dollars would be around $52k

Last edited by guzyk on Thu Sep 26, 2019 5:54 am; edited 1 time in total
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 5:53 am    Post subject: Re: Spending money on upgrades to the Westy vs. Peace Vans Modern Reply with quote

modern cars have alot of price cost bloat from the miles of technology and safety worked into the design vs an 80's car..
so inflated to $69k vs $52k isn't really out of line I guess.
a Westy was 2X's the price of a standard car back in it's day.

guzyk wrote:
Just watched the Tofino video, looks nice and modern and "Westy inspired" but $$$ at $70k At least there are plenty of shops that will work on it since it's a Dodge van underneath.

https://youtu.be/w5qGbbk922o

For comparison, a new $23k 1987 Westy in today's inflation adjusted dollars would be around $52k
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VdubVanner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 9:23 am    Post subject: Re: Spending money on upgrades to the Westy vs. Peace Vans Modern Reply with quote

Pleasureway (made in Saskatoon) = $69,500 US = $92,000 CDN!! Add taxes to that on top.

Plus it's 8ft 2" high so that rules out parking it in a normal existing garage. In the Big City -- with vandalism and theft rife -- that automatically nixes it. Even if I add another $15,000 CDN for body work on top of my rebuild costs, my ol' van is still a bargain and parks out of sight in my 1940s garage to boot.
SyncroChrick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 2:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Spending money on upgrades to the Westy vs. Peace Vans Modern Reply with quote

I am not even certain $70 covers it.

The base cargo Metris is about $33k

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehiclede...Type=alpha

The Peace Vans base conversion is $40k

You are at $73k absolute bottom.
Then add a few options (either on the van or the camper conversion) and taxes.

You are closer to $85k-90k

I am getting old perhaps but that sounds totally insane to me.
SyncroChrick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 2:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Spending money on upgrades to the Westy vs. Peace Vans Modern Reply with quote

Here is one for $80k (plus taxes)

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehiclede...pe=listing
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 3:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Spending money on upgrades to the Westy vs. Peace Vans Modern Reply with quote

The Metris is sub-funky.

The Vanagon is old, cranky, slow, poor HVAC, and you sit on top of a pogo stick.

But...

there IS no substitute

(ok, I stole that line from air-cooled Porsche world headquarters, but it's true here too)

Since threads just like this one get started every year or so, it seems obvious that a lot of people would like a Vanagon sized camper with some modern accoutrements. I know I would.

And I want it to look either like a Vanagon or like my old Bay Window
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 3:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Spending money on upgrades to the Westy vs. Peace Vans Modern Reply with quote

front end of this Ford nugget looks pretty good...

https://newatlas.com/ford-nugget-camper-van/58176/
VdubVanner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 3:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Spending money on upgrades to the Westy vs. Peace Vans Modern Reply with quote

Merian wrote:

Compared to what?

Certainly not the real McCoy:

I'll ignore your other comment: The Vanagon is old, cranky, slow, poor HVAC, and you sit on top of a pogo stick.
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 5:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Spending money on upgrades to the Westy vs. Peace Vans Modern Reply with quote

VdubVanner wrote:
Merian wrote:

Compared to what?

Compared to other modern options - look at the Nissan Crying or Very sad for example...
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 6:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Spending money on upgrades to the Westy vs. Peace Vans Modern Reply with quote

https://www.theverge.com/2019/9/24/20882538/canoo-evelozcity-ev-subsicrption-electric-vehicle
Squidfish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 9:18 am    Post subject: Re: Spending money on upgrades to the Westy vs. Peace Vans Modern Reply with quote

Merian wrote:
https://www.theverge.com/2019/9/24/20882538/canoo-evelozcity-ev-subsicrption-electric-vehicle

Very cool, love the rear interior design.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: