Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1968 Deluxe Build
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
schmittie120
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 9:42 am    Post subject: Re: 1968 Deluxe Build Reply with quote

Great work!!!

What insulation are you using? I didn’t see a brand
Trashman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:23 am    Post subject: Re: 1968 Deluxe Build Reply with quote

schmittie120 wrote:

Im using this stuff that I got off of amazon https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B016QUS1YE/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:35 am    Post subject: Re: 1968 Deluxe Build Reply with quote

schmittie120 wrote:
Great work!!!

Look at the logo & the build, that is obviously by the Decepticon faction. Twisted Evil

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Trashman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:48 am    Post subject: Re: 1968 Deluxe Build Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
Look at the logo & the build, that is obviously by the Decepticon faction. Twisted Evil

Laughing
sunny74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 4:13 am    Post subject: Re: 1968 Deluxe Build Reply with quote

Following along....the bus is looking great
Trashman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 2:18 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 Deluxe Build Reply with quote

Don't know how I haven't done this for so long but finally put in a new engine lid seal this morning with some good German rubber, as the old one was only about half still intact. Progress is progress

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Old seal

Heres a pic of the frame on the ground for fun

RustBucket86
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:17 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 Deluxe Build Reply with quote

Applause Great Job! Was fun scrolling through the pics. Lots of motivation for my 70 transporter.
orwell84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:44 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 Deluxe Build Reply with quote

So if I understand correctly, your suspension uses a compressor to raise the bus when it is moving and lower it when it stops or just when it is parked/turned off? I saw a video of a bus that seemed to drive that way and always wondered when I've seen photos of really low buses how they were actually driven. I'll admit that it's not my thing, but I'm just curious and not trying to bait you by playing dumb. It looks like a lot of hard work that has been well done and that has always been something I really respect.
Trashman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:15 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 Deluxe Build Reply with quote

orwell84 wrote:
So if I understand correctly, your suspension uses a compressor to raise the bus when it is moving and lower it when it stops or just when it is parked/turned off? I saw a video of a bus that seemed to drive that way and always wondered when I've seen photos of really low buses how they were actually driven. I'll admit that it's not my thing, but I'm just curious and not trying to bait you by playing dumb. It looks like a lot of hard work that has been well done and that has always been something I really respect.

You are more or less correct in your understanding. I have a controller that actuates a bunch of valves to control the amount of air pressure that each air spring has in it. This allows me to lower or raise the bus at my leisure. The system I have also has height presets so I can have my frame on the ground parked position, my super low slow cruise position, my regular driving height, and a getting over speed bumps and in/out of driveways height. It also has an auto-leveling feature that I am working on installing. So if I get more/less passengers in the bus or load cargo in, the system compensates for that and makes adjustments every few seconds if need be. Here's a picture of the controller in my ash tray.

And here is a picture of my two compressors (right), air tank (top left), and valve block (bottom left). In between the air tank and the valve block you can barely make out the e-level system ecu.

The reason I have such a nice air management system, besides the fact that it is just awesome, is because I daily drive this bus and I wanted something that was going to work flawlessly without any guess work with pressures and any questions in reliability.

Last edited by Trashman on Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
orwell84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:22 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 Deluxe Build Reply with quote

I didn’t realize there was so much involved. Definitely not a job for the faint of heart. I’ve enjoyed watching your progress. Good luck with your project.
Trashman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:24 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 Deluxe Build Reply with quote

orwell84 wrote:
Definitely not a job for the faint of heart. I’ve enjoyed watching your progress. Good luck with your project.

Definitely not! And Thanks!
Trashman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:35 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 Deluxe Build Reply with quote

And on another note, I re-made the torsion housing end plates/torsion eliminators to get the heim joints in the middle of there adjustments so I could dial in the alignment better. I now have a perfect toe alignment!

Here's the new piece I fabbed up the other day

Hikelite
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 5:40 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 Deluxe Build Reply with quote

Trashman wrote:
I daily drive this bus

One of the many things that makes this bus so awesome.
Loved watching this project. I never wanted a lowered bus (Bugs on the other hand....), but your build kinda makes me want one as a daily driver. Wink

Excellent work. Much respect.

My 1968 Campmobile
Trashman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:21 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 Deluxe Build Reply with quote

Hikelite wrote:
Trashman wrote:
I daily drive this bus

One of the many things that makes this bus so awesome.
Loved watching this project. I never wanted a lowered bus (Bugs on the other hand....), but your build kinda makes me want one as a daily driver. Wink

Excellent work. Much respect.

Thanks Kevin! After dropping this thing the "common" way and now with air-ride, I don't think I would ever want to daily a static dropped bus again. The practicality with the new setup is great. I do want to build a moderately lifted bay (just lifted spindles and some all terrains)in the future though...
Hikelite
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 6:47 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 Deluxe Build Reply with quote

Trashman wrote:
I do want to build a moderately lifted bay (just lifted spindles and some all terrains)in the future though...

If mildly lifted mostly means strengthening things and making it better able to absorb larger movements, then ya, It would be interesting to see what you came up with.

I used to take mine to places I shouldn't have. Now I would not take my bus down some of the roads I did in the 90's. I'm quite sure the crack in the frame, and some of the other broken bits were the result of those roads, but the bus always made it. And faster than my 4Runner would, since I didn't want to stop going uphill! Confused

I agree with you. That type of suspension let's the vehicle stay usable. When I was younger, and involved in car clubs, I always liked the stance of lowered cars, but every time we met up, I would cringe as they scraped across the speed bumps. Crying or Very sad Looks like there are better ways a couple decades later. (starts counting... how many decades? nevermind I don't wanna know) Laughing

My 1968 Campmobile
Trashman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:33 am    Post subject: Re: 1968 Deluxe Build Reply with quote

Started getting the height sensors for the e-level installed this weekend. I got both of the rear sensors installed and got all of the wires ran for the front sensors as well. For the front sensors, I will have to weld on a small piece to each lower control arm so the heim end can mount to it. Heres some pics of the rear ones installed.

In the highest ride height position

In the lowest ride height position

Plugged in!

Trashman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:38 am    Post subject: Re: 1968 Deluxe Build Reply with quote

And for those of you wondering, the height sensors are essentially just potentiometers. I will save height presets and the system will save the voltage reading from each sensor for each preset. So lets say I'm hauling a bunch of stuff but I want to be at my usual ride height. Most systems are pressure based and would keep each setting at a specific air pressure. That type of system would make the bus sit lower than normal consequently. With this system, it is height based so it is able to compensate for the added weight and add more pressure to level the bus out. It also levels in real time so it can adjust to any changes or shifts in weight.
Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 5:27 am    Post subject: Re: 1968 Deluxe Build Reply with quote

Trashman wrote:
And for those of you wondering, the height sensors are essentially just potentiometers. I will save height presets and the system will save the voltage reading from each sensor for each preset. So lets say I'm hauling a bunch of stuff but I want to be at my usual ride height. Most systems are pressure based and would keep each setting at a specific air pressure. That type of system would make the bus sit lower than normal consequently. With this system, it is height based so it is able to compensate for the added weight and add more pressure to level the bus out. It also levels in real time so it can adjust to any changes or shifts in weight.

That is awesome!
Other cars: 2003 F150, 2003 Jetta GLI vr6-6sp

Sambastic: adj; the quality of being nit picky, elitist, expecting everyone to do things the way they believe is best with no regard to situation, "sambastic"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Trashman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:22 am    Post subject: Re: 1968 Deluxe Build Reply with quote

Got the front height sensors installed yesterday after work. Front were a bit more involved than the rear since I had to make and weld on little tabs to the lower control arms for the heim end to connect to. The geometry was also a little tougher to make work since there wasn't much space to work with. Now today I can calibrate the system and the system will have full functionality!

Here's a pic of one of the fronts

soissisc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:23 am    Post subject: Re: 1968 Deluxe Build Reply with quote

What happens if one pot goes bad, or a wire breaks?

68 Westy
92 Jetta (oh it is retired)
99 Eurovan
05 NBC
06 Audi A3
72 Westy (I am going to fix it up)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next
Jump to:
Page 13 of 17

Jump to: