Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Seat covers. Sheepskin wool or VW vinyl?
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Poptopcamper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 3:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Seat covers. Sheepskin wool or VW vinyl? Reply with quote

Here are pictures of the new 40 year old VW vinyl seat covers that found under my funky plaid 40 year old Riviera seat covers. I know how Indiana Jones feels when he discovers an ancient artifact.😎
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

2020 VW Tiguan
2001 Harley Electraglide Classic
1986 BMW R 800cc motorcycle
2002 Chevy Camaro Z28
1999 Harley Sportster 1200 Custom
alaskadan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 4:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Seat covers. Sheepskin wool or VW vinyl? Reply with quote

Yes your plan sounds fine. The foam backer sewn to the bottom of the plaid serves a number of purposes. Its called scrim backed foam. It gives you another 1/2" of cushion, is a buffer between the plaid and the vinyl, but mostly is there to allow for the sewing in of pleats. I'd opt for it if I were you. It's cheap and easy for the upholsterer . Its commonly left off of the boxing (the sides of a cushion). The scrim backing isn't mandatory though.
alaskadan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 5:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Seat covers. Sheepskin wool or VW vinyl? Reply with quote

In fact it is an opportunity to go with a different pattern. Those sewn pleats run from to back on the top panel of the cushion and vertically on the backrest front panel. An easy variation would be a horseshoe shaped pattern with a pleated insert. Take it a step further and use 3/4" scrim back on the horseshoe and 1/2" scrim back for the insert. Gives it a little bit of a bucket seat look and feel.
Poptopcamper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 4:54 am    Post subject: Re: Seat covers. Sheepskin wool or VW vinyl? Reply with quote

One final thought after finding new VW vinyl seats under my 40 year old Riviera plaid seats: if 1978 VW vinyl seats can last 40 years with protection, imagine how long today's VW vinyl seats will last if you take care of them. I bought a new 2009 VW New Beetle for my wife in 2009, and I was disappointed that I couldn't get leather seats for her. But I have to say, her seats still look like new and all I do is vacuum and Armour All them regularly. I think if I buy a new car, I'm going for the Vinyl from now on.
Also, when I was a boy in the 1950s, people used to buy clear plastic seat covers from a company called Fingerhut to protect their car seats and their living room furniture. The idea was that you ripped off the plastic seat covers when you sold your car, and the factory seats looked like new. For the new owner. Hmmm? I'm glad the previous owner didn't know about the new factory seat covers hiding under the Riviera seat covers in my bus. That's all. Time to cruise and show off my new seats.😎
2020 VW Tiguan
2001 Harley Electraglide Classic
1986 BMW R 800cc motorcycle
2002 Chevy Camaro Z28
1999 Harley Sportster 1200 Custom
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: