Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Value of 1957 oval with 62 pan
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
njmedic3306
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:42 am    Post subject: Value of 1957 oval with 62 pan Reply with quote

Looking at a 1957 oval roll back Fabric sun roof with a solid 1962 pan. It’s 9k but I don’t know if it’s worth that with the numbers not matching. It has a 1600 in it now and I doubt I couldn’t afford it otherwise thought.... any suggestions ??
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:42 am    Post subject: Re: Value of 1957 oval with 62 pan Reply with quote

Without pics it would be tough to venture a guess at value but a decent ragtop Oval shell would probably come close to that in value in your area.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
njmedic3306
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:06 am    Post subject: Re: Value of 1957 oval with 62 pan Reply with quote

Think I figured this out. He also has another set of wheels off a 944. There is also the rear hood.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
njmedic3306
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:11 am    Post subject: Re: Value of 1957 oval with 62 pan Reply with quote

Also has these wheels, also 4 wheel disk brakes.
jason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:36 am    Post subject: Re: Value of 1957 oval with 62 pan Reply with quote

Wrong rear apron, wiring looks like it needs some help, I wouldnt pay that. Last all original 56 I found was $4000 a few years back.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:47 am    Post subject: Re: Value of 1957 oval with 62 pan Reply with quote

Tail light placement is horrible & it's got a lot that's not correct. If the pans & rockers are OK, they have a title that matches the VIN# on the tunnel, I'd say that it wasn't a great deal but there aren't many solid examples in that price range, especially in NJ.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
joey1320
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:16 am    Post subject: Re: Value of 1957 oval with 62 pan Reply with quote

There's only one similar example on the classified section and it's all the way out in California. I hate to say it, because the vehicle doesn't warrant that type of asking price, but supply and demand rules supreme. Yup, $9500 for that car, in your location, is correct. I would still try to get it closer to $8k.
njmedic3306
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:32 am    Post subject: Re: Value of 1957 oval with 62 pan Reply with quote

Thanks for the input.

Honestly truth be told he wants to trade me for my 1964. It’s definitely in better shape however that convertible had me in love. Please talk me out of this ..... this is my 1964 with 1641, Eagle Cam, worked heads ....

I also have a 1961 motor I was gonna put in the rag top. I know it’s not exact but closer ...

TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:04 am    Post subject: Re: Value of 1957 oval with 62 pan Reply with quote

How much are you asking for your car? Does it have matching pan/body/title? If you were wanting $6,000 for yours then it's a deal, if you wanted $13,000, I'd expect them to pay the difference.

Personally, I'd stick with the devil that I knew, unless there's something off about your car that would make you get out from under it other than smaller windows & a big hole in the roof.

finster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:07 am    Post subject: Re: Value of 1957 oval with 62 pan Reply with quote

I see your car is for sale at 9k, it's tempting to go for something else but I'd stick with what you have if it were me (a known car rather than an unknown)- it looks cool and you can just keep working away at the details - you could always graft in a rag top if that's the detail you're hooked on.
maybe fit the rear valance too as the engine will be drawing up hot exhaust air and running hot....
joey1320
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:39 am    Post subject: Re: Value of 1957 oval with 62 pan Reply with quote

finster wrote:
I see your car is for sale at 9k, it's tempting to go for something else but I'd stick with what you have if it were me (a known car rather than an unknown)- it looks cool and you can just keep working away at the details - you could always graft in a rag top if that's the detail you're hooked on.
maybe fit the rear valance too as the engine will be drawing up hot exhaust air and running hot....

This 👍
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:01 am    Post subject: Re: Value of 1957 oval with 62 pan Reply with quote

That's not an oval window Bug, it's just an oval window graphed into a later Bug. The windshield and cowl are distinctly 1958-1964.

njmedic3306 wrote:
Think I figured this out. He also has another set of wheels off a 944. There is also the rear hood.

joey1320
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:07 am    Post subject: Re: Value of 1957 oval with 62 pan Reply with quote

EVfun wrote:
That's not an oval window Bug, it's just an oval window graphed into a later Bug. The windshield and cowl are distinctly 1958-1964.

njmedic3306 wrote:

Hmmmm... Interesting.
If that's the case, then OP run away fast.
njmedic3306
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:48 am    Post subject: Re: Value of 1957 oval with 62 pan Reply with quote

Well this isn’t looking good. I was at least hoping it was a 1957 body.
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Value of 1957 oval with 62 pan Reply with quote

EV is correct...just grafted in rear oval

No way I would pay $9k

I also do not understand why anyone would not travel to get the right car

California/Arizona cars worth driving to get
57BLITZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 4:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Value of 1957 oval with 62 pan Reply with quote

EVfun wrote:

GOOD EYE!!!!
Car didn't look quite right to me . . . but after you mention that, easy to see it looks just wrong. The wrong dash will look even worse.
"Back-dating" Beetles must be done carefully . . . very easy to get poor results! Wink
ZENVWDRIVER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:12 am    Post subject: Re: Value of 1957 oval with 62 pan Reply with quote

... do yourself a favor and continue your search, unless you just love this one... is not a real oval and if you ever tried to sell it, you'd have trouble.
- Real ovals are getting difficult to locate in the Jersey area and are getting silly-expensive - this faux-oval is an interesting car - practice some patience and you'll come out the winner.
11/4/52, black Zwitter - SOLD to my little bro.
1954 Porsche, pre A, with VW 36 horse- SOLD
1/54, black 11C Beetle - TRADED
2/55 Iceland green Beetle, on a 1965 pan
3/55 113 Beetle, stratos silver
1955 Messerschmitt KR175 - SOLD, sadly
1960 single cab
1962 SO33, with SO 42 interior
9/63 Pacific blue, Ghia
'87 Toyota MR2
'02 WestFORDia E-150, GAVE TO OUR SON

All super-heroes, wear a MASK
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: