Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Vanagon Land Rover Defender mirrors and brackets now avail in US
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 10:32 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Land Rover Defender mirrors and brackets now avail in US Reply with quote

Can we get more pics of the mirrors from standing away from the van? I didn't realize you had a long arm extension on yours.
mbcbags
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Land Rover Defender mirrors and brackets now avail in US Reply with quote

I contacted Dan at LRNJ and bought his last set. Just received and installed them; best thing ever!!! I can't wait to drive around and see what's going on around me instead of the side of my van. AND they look like a factory option, not some aftermarket thing that doesn't belong.

He said he'll have more in stock soon so if you're interested send him a message and get on the wait list. It's worth it IMO.
onslowb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Land Rover Defender mirrors and brackets now avail in US Reply with quote

I got a set too. Better view than the stock power or floppy mirrors and in my opinion look better...there is a very slight vibration but similar to stock mirrors and no flopping. Good solution for me.
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 5:36 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Land Rover Defender mirrors and brackets now avail in US Reply with quote

Put up some pics! I'm looking at these or truck mirror style and this is half the cost!
dabaron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:15 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Land Rover Defender mirrors and brackets now avail in US Reply with quote

mbcbags wrote:
I contacted Dan at LRNJ and bought his last set. Just received and installed them; best thing ever!!! I can't wait to drive around and see what's going on around me instead of the side of my van. AND they look like a factory option, not some aftermarket thing that doesn't belong.

i have power mirrors (that don't work) - they have an extra hole for the mirror bracket. think his bracket could be modded to add that 3rd hole?

BiWerks Design, LLC
mbcbags
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Land Rover Defender mirrors and brackets now avail in US Reply with quote

I added a piece of thin insulating foam on the lower part of the bracket to keep the raw metal off the side of my van. Worked perfectly.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
[/img]

Vilas69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 4:32 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Land Rover Defender mirrors and brackets now avail in US Reply with quote

As anyone did the mod and then use the MUD Xl wirrors? They even have a dual mirror setup that should be excellent for blind spots, but looking at the reviews, it seems that the quality is not up to the design... Any similar product?
https://www.mudstuff.co.uk/mud-blind-spot-mirror.html
Vilas69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:11 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Land Rover Defender mirrors and brackets now avail in US Reply with quote

Anyone?

Anyway, when it comes to stock Defender mirrors, they do hold better than the vanagon stock, even with the same small ball and not very clever under a big flat mirror holding point, right?
mbcbags
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:20 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Land Rover Defender mirrors and brackets now avail in US Reply with quote

Vilas69 wrote:
Anyone?

Anyway, when it comes to stock Defender mirrors, they do hold better than the vanagon stock, even with the same small ball and not very clever under a big flat mirror holding point, right?

I had the same concern about them not holding due to the smaller size ball holding the mirror. But so far it's been great and they are staying in place quite nicely. Even repeated closing of the doors hasn't caused them to move; unlike the old VW mirrors that would shift with the smallest bump.

The convex is weird at first since things seem really close, but that's easy to adjust to on my end. After driving around for awhile it wasn't so bad. They do vibrate a little as previously called out. But it's not so bad and I'll never go back to anything else.
smd333
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:13 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Land Rover Defender mirrors and brackets now avail in US Reply with quote

Just waiting for them to come back in stock so I can order a set.
mbcbags
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:31 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Land Rover Defender mirrors and brackets now avail in US Reply with quote

mbcbags wrote:
Vilas69 wrote:
Anyone?

I had the same concern about them not holding due to the smaller size ball holding the mirror. But so far it's been great and they are staying in place quite nicely. Even repeated closing of the doors hasn't caused them to move; unlike the old VW mirrors that would shift with the smallest bump.

The convex is weird at first since things seem really close, but that's easy to adjust to on my end. After driving around for awhile it wasn't so bad. They do vibrate a little as previously called out. But it's not so bad and I'll never go back to anything else.

My driver side mirror had started to flop a little so I started to investigate how to tighten it down. Sure enough I found an easily accessible socket head screw next to the ball socket that you can snug down to make the mirror even more solid. So far I'm loving the mirrors and can't recommend them enough!
valvecovergasket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 1:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Land Rover Defender mirrors and brackets now avail in US Reply with quote

got a set of brackets, waiting on some hardware and thin rubber gasket to finish it up... hopefully will have it done tonight. i opted for the larger D130 mirrors.
as someone mentioned - the fact that these are a fraction of the price of the LT mirrors, and look fairly stock, is a nice plus
hansh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 11:02 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Land Rover Defender mirrors and brackets now avail in US Reply with quote

Got a set yesterday. I love the convex view and increased visibility. I’d rubber-washered my originals about 5 years ago. One was still holding solid, but both had some age-related decrease in clarity and faded, black plastic. These Land Rover ones look good, and, so far, work good. I haven’t used them through a stiff headwind yet, but I’m very happy with the product, cost, visibility/clarity, and aesthetic!
vanis13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 5:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Land Rover Defender mirrors and brackets now avail in US Reply with quote

smd333 wrote:
Just waiting for them to come back in stock so I can order a set.

Timing update - Brackets to be sent to ebay seller next week so he should be able to send out shortly after that.

I had an injury on the trip from which I got back on 10/15 so production was delayed a bit. I'll post back on here when bracket shipped to ebay seller.

Andy

www.SuperVanagon.com - some stuff I make
vanis13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 6:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Land Rover Defender mirrors and brackets now avail in US Reply with quote

valvecovergasket wrote:
i opted for the larger D130 mirrors.

Can you provide more details? I checked out the 'larger' mirrors available for this bracket and though physically larger, the convex was ?smaller? so I could actually see less.

Overall I found the offered combination of the small mirror (with the largest viewing area due to its convex) being the best combination.

vanis13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 6:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Land Rover Defender mirrors and brackets now avail in US Reply with quote

hansh wrote:
These Land Rover ones look good, and, so far, work good. I haven’t used them through a stiff headwind yet, but I’m very happy with the product, cost, visibility/clarity, and aesthetic!

I have found them to hold well. 90 on the HWY (2.5 subi conversion) into a 20 mph headwind. No issue.

If you want them snugger, the ball-retaining 5mm allen bolt on the bottom is easy to tighten.

vanis13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 6:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Land Rover Defender mirrors and brackets now avail in US Reply with quote

Vilas69 wrote:
As anyone did the mod and then use the MUD Xl wirrors? They even have a dual mirror setup that should be excellent for blind spots, but looking at the reviews, it seems that the quality is not up to the design... Any similar product?
https://www.mudstuff.co.uk/mud-blind-spot-mirror.html

When first doing the comparisons of the mirrors available I looked at these as an option. They are from a different distributor and something like 3x the price so didn't make the initial review. What I concluded after looking at the other options is this -

The best option in my opinion is the small mirror that has the largest convex and thus the largest viewing area. I too liked the 'blind spot' second mirror idea and concluded that the convex of the small mirror gave a good blind spot view already and that I would lose more by having only the flat mirror on the top. And at 3x the price, it just did't seem worth it.

If anyone tries these out, let us know what you think. These Mud mirrors should work with these brackets.

valvecovergasket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 9:04 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Land Rover Defender mirrors and brackets now avail in US Reply with quote

vanis13 wrote:
valvecovergasket wrote:

Can you provide more details? I checked out the 'larger' mirrors available for this bracket and though physically larger, the convex was ?smaller? so I could actually see less.

Overall I found the offered combination of the small mirror (with the largest viewing area due to its convex) being the best combination.

i have some pictures ill post later today if i have a chance, but i havent had an opportunity to drive the van with the setup yet. in any case i think they look quite a bit better! haha
erste
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 6:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Land Rover Defender mirrors and brackets now avail in US Reply with quote

vanis13 wrote:

I have found them to hold well. 90 on the HWY (2.5 subi conversion) into a 20 mph headwind. No issue.

can confirm. 100+ with no flop. Had them for almost 2 years and no need to tighten the pivot.
valvecovergasket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 5:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Land Rover Defender mirrors and brackets now avail in US Reply with quote

valvecovergasket wrote:
vanis13 wrote:
valvecovergasket wrote:

i have some pictures ill post later today if i have a chance, but i havent had an opportunity to drive the van with the setup yet. in any case i think they look quite a bit better! haha

running just a little late on this haha

but the 130 mirrors are a really good size i think... a lot better than the (much smaller) 90/110. i ran across a 110 this weekend and was reminded how small the factory mirrors are

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: