Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Advice on exhaust, muffler for my buggy?
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jimflorida
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 12:30 pm    Post subject: Advice on exhaust, muffler for my buggy? Reply with quote

I have a Sand Rover T-Bug and want to replace my rusted out dual cannons. I wanted a nice system like the Tri-Mil Bobcat Quiet, but the higher curved pipe won’t clear my body. Will probably stick with dual cannons (I know they are not ideal), but I want something not too loud. May look for a couple of motorcycle mufflers (or other straight mufflers) to weld on to make a homemade dual cannon. Any disadvantages to going this route?
Are there other 4 into 1 systems other than the Tri-Mil that might fit?
cbeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 1:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Advice on exhaust, muffler for my buggy? Reply with quote

A stinger would not fit under my bed floor.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 3:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Advice on exhaust, muffler for my buggy? Reply with quote

Jimflorida wrote:
I have a Sand Rover T-Bug and want to replace my rusted out dual cannons. I wanted a nice system like the Tri-Mil Bobcat Quiet, but the higher curved pipe won’t clear my body. Will probably stick with dual cannons (I know they are not ideal), but I want something not too loud. May look for a couple of motorcycle mufflers (or other straight mufflers) to weld on to make a homemade dual cannon. Any disadvantages to going this route?
Are there other 4 into 1 systems other than the Tri-Mil that might fit?

Thoughts from someone who has used "dune buggy duals"...

They are loud and much more so after the glass has been blown out -- as in set car alarms off loud! They do NOT get along with dual single barrel carbs with a severe tendancy for a 2 cylinder idle that smells rank from unburnt gas. They do not correctly work the carb heat for a centermount system, even the ones that have the preheat fittings. I could ice up, that is why I went with Kadrons.

My current build is a Berry Mini-T buggy. I decided to go with a Dansk reproduction of the 1973 split exhaust. My understanding is that they will work with duals because they essentially treat the exhaust as 4 seperates into there own chambers (no advantage of a tuned collector, but no disadvantage of a off-tuned collector.)

Cbeck, your system looks great but isn't it a loud strait pipe system?

Last edited by EVfun on Sun Oct 07, 2018 5:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
cbeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 5:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Advice on exhaust, muffler for my buggy? Reply with quote

Only when you put your foot in it Twisted Evil Went for a ride with the local buggy club a couple weeks ago. Their junk was so loud running duals, I could not here mine over theirs. One husband and wife, between the 2 of them have won the loud pipes contest at mid america fun fest for like 7 years. If I stick a baffle in it, I can feel the loss of top end. That style is only available in 1 5/8. Gonna be hard to find something else to fit now.

Jimflorida
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 5:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Advice on exhaust, muffler for my buggy? Reply with quote

Here is the rear of my T-Bug. Most of the 4 into 1’s that I have seen will not fit with my rear body section as low as it is. It has dual cannons currently.
rubenski
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Advice on exhaust, muffler for my buggy? Reply with quote

how about a csp super competition?

https://www.csp-shop.com/en/brand-shops/super-competition-exhaust-251-001-038s-20049b.html
Jimflorida
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Advice on exhaust, muffler for my buggy? Reply with quote

Something like that might work. That one seems like a lot of Euro’s though.
weasel_ugs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 5:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Advice on exhaust, muffler for my buggy? Reply with quote

what about the Manx sidewinder?

http://meyersmanx.com/sidewinder-exhaust.html
Skulptorchaz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Advice on exhaust, muffler for my buggy? Reply with quote

That would be my suggestion. (Tri-Mil)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jimflorida
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Advice on exhaust, muffler for my buggy? Reply with quote

Thanks for the suggestion. Tri-Mil does make this system that might be a good option for my buggy.
barrist
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 5:29 am    Post subject: Re: Advice on exhaust, muffler for my buggy? Reply with quote

That's the Tri Mill System I have, just substituted the Bus muffler.

Have a Great Day,

Bill
liquidrush
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Advice on exhaust, muffler for my buggy? Reply with quote

Bill, that thing is sweet! How about some more pics of it? I'd love to see it.
Jimflorida
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Advice on exhaust, muffler for my buggy? Reply with quote

I like that Bill. Smile
barrist
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:57 am    Post subject: Re: Advice on exhaust, muffler for my buggy? Reply with quote

liquidrush wrote:
Bill, that thing is sweet! How about some more pics of it? I'd love to see it.

All the Pics right here... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482756

Thanks, and Have a Great Day,

Bill
mr_bill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Advice on exhaust, muffler for my buggy? Reply with quote

THIS exhaust from A-1 in Santa Ana, Ca. would work nicely !! Cool Cool

"Mr Bill"
Dos Perros Motorsports
Orange, CA
1972 Class 11x/Stock Bug
'60's era "vintage" Tunnell-Buggy

"...no one here....get's out ALIVE...."

Motor = electric
Engine = internal combustion

www.facebook.com/groups/DosPerrosMotorsports
www.alrchapter132.org
www.DAV.org
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Skulptorchaz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 4:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Advice on exhaust, muffler for my buggy? Reply with quote

That's pretty cool. It looks like the may have tried to "tune" the lengths.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 4:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Advice on exhaust, muffler for my buggy? Reply with quote

Nice looking system Mr Bill. Clearly it isn't an equal length system. What does that do for tuning? Dune buggy duals are VERY not tuned and raise h@#% with dual 1 barrel carbs. I wonder about tuning issues with other collector systems that aren't tuned. I'm sure not as bad, and likely at other rpm points, but it would seem to create scavenging differences. How does it compare in practice to equal length header systems?
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 3:15 am    Post subject: Re: Advice on exhaust, muffler for my buggy? Reply with quote

EVfun wrote:
Nice looking system Mr Bill. Clearly it isn't an equal length system. What does that do for tuning? Dune buggy duals are VERY not tuned and raise h@#% with dual 1 barrel carbs. I wonder about tuning issues with other collector systems that aren't tuned. I'm sure not as bad, and likely at other rpm points, but it would seem to create scavenging differences. How does it compare in practice to equal length header systems?

Not many are truly equal length if to actually measure them. It would still be a big step up from your usual dual cannons!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: