Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What did you do to your Bug Today?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 355, 356, 357 ... 447, 448, 449  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
JaimeReyes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 7:52 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

I replaced the shift rod bushing and the coupler today! old bushing was as hard as plastic and was just crumbling. first time i’ve done this so it took me a couple hours to complete. shifter feels soooo much better and i’m proud of myself for completing it and not having any problems afterwards. can find every gear and it’s nice and tight and smooth! Very Happy
AlmostHeavenWV_VW Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 6:41 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Yesterday got the bug's front end buttoned up. Was having an issue with the right wheel hub getting toasty, even with short little trips. Thought we had the brake shoes mal-adjusted, but we figured out that my right hand side front spindle is a 68 and earlier spindle.... so it's a different side ID for the inner wheel bearing. 1.06" (early) vs 1.14" (late 69'+)

Swapped back in the old bearing on that side (was still good), and problem solved! Brakes adjusted up nicely and that pedal is strong. Very Happy

Then I drove it back to town from the fieldwork site. About another ~80 miles back home. (Total miles this week ~ 200)

Beetle ran like a sewing machine the whole time. Crusin' along down the road.
Bosch DVDA 205AJ Distributor
nachche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 6:33 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

DurocShark wrote:
Got the 1835 bolted up:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Hi! that looks like a very interesting chair/jack.. can I have more info about it? Cool
nachche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 6:39 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

seiyaTokyo wrote:
Enjoy driving '74 my beetle 1200
make a Gopro movie!!

Link

Seiya

Nice car and nice movie.
DurocShark
Samba Member

Location: Crappy town in a crappy state. But the beach is nearby, so I have that going for me.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 7:01 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

It's a lift table. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XNZ5GV6/

Not normally useful for VW engines because it doesn't go down low enough, but the baja has so much clearance already, it worked pretty well. I borrowed it from work. Sadly they didn't have an ATV jack which I would have preferred. Wink
DurocShark
Samba Member

Location: Crappy town in a crappy state. But the beach is nearby, so I have that going for me.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 5:17 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

https://youtu.be/ql78ezP6UT8

Whoops!

I have some ignition timing issues... Laughing
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 8:21 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

DurocShark wrote:
https://youtu.be/ql78ezP6UT8

Whoops!

I have some ignition timing issues... Laughing

Yep! That was bad timing on the horn chiming in!!!

Did you get it to start?

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
DurocShark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 9:02 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

No. I went back to the beginning (finding TDC, setting the distributor, etc) but it never started. Then I had an event to get to, so had to stop.

I'll dive back in tomorrow.
Volcrew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 5:31 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Started the messy task of breaking down the IRS. Disassembled the backing plate and threw in the parts washer; tomorrow the clean parts will go in the blast cabinet. Pressed out the control arm bushings. Didn't get the stub shaft out yet; my puller is about half inch too short.
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 3:57 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Volcrew wrote:
Started the messy task of breaking down the IRS. Disassembled the backing plate and threw in the parts washer; tomorrow the clean parts will go in the blast cabinet. Pressed out the control arm bushings. Didn't get the stub shaft out yet; my puller is about half inch too short.

Smacking it w/a block of wood and a hammer has worked for me w/out any damage to the stub axle.

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Volcrew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 6:50 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

vamram wrote:
Volcrew wrote:

Smacking it w/a block of wood and a hammer has worked for me w/out any damage to the stub axle.

Thanks for the tip. This bug restoration is new to me, so I appreciate the help.
Volcrew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 5:57 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Blasted parts today until the air compressor quit. The starting capacitor was leaking oil, but a new one didn't fix.
volkz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 12:40 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

finally fixed my sagging driver seat bottom by swapping out the springs from a extra passenger side seat I had. Its much better driving level than sloped to the left, haha.
Volcrew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:37 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

The steering stabilizer came in, so after locating some hardware, it was fitted.

Continuing to degrease, blast and paint components.

Mocked up the spring plate. Notice anything missing in this picture?

Volcrew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 4:38 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

I put the urethane bushings in the freezer over night, then split them with the bandsaw.

Drilled the spring plate's missing hole.

Blasted and painted more stuff. Broke down the other old spring plate.

BIGMIKEY
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 4:18 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Today I investigated why I have no flow from my drivers side defrost vent. All the hoses were intact and the flaps worked like they are supposed to but still no flow. I probed down into the duct at the corner of the windshield with a length of stiff wire. I hit an obstruction about 12" in. The same wire went all the way down to the heater channel on the passenger side. So, OK something is blocking. I figured... Mouse nest. So I disconnected the 3 hoses from the crow's foot 3-way split. In the one that feeds the defrost vent in the corner of the windshield I found this:

A Mexican 10 Peso coin, 1976 vintage.

Just the right size to fit down the hose but too big to go into the plastic of the crow's foot. There was also a weird bent wire thing, looked like a big bobby pin that was jammed in there as well. My wife identified it as a Hot roller clip for setting hair. Said she hasn't seen one of those since the 1970's. Well, sure.

This is the third Mexican coin I have found during the build of this Bug. I found this One Peso coin when I took the fresh air box out.

First coin I found was a cincuenta centavos coin that fell out of somewhere while rolling the body to work on the heater channel bottom plate.

All three.

Gotta love previous owners.

Good flow from the drivers side vent now. Also the other vents are flowing heated air.

Mike T

Deserter Series 1 project.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=787047&highlight=

1973 Beetle Driver, Marina Blue.
brotheratkhesahn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 4:46 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

When I went to look at and test drive the '73 SB I eventually bought, the PO mentioned the "Super Beetle Shimmy". I didn't notice it when I took it for a spin and after purchasing it, on the hour drive home it was barely discernible. Upon arriving home, my buddy that had rode with me to get the car and followed me home on my Jeep says that the brake lights on the SB stopped working on the way. A little diagnostics and I figured out that a switch on the master cylinder was bad. Replaced them, pulled the wheels and tires to bleed the brakes and I was good. Until I drove it. Major front end shake. So I perused the forums here and ran across the most logical solution, numbering the lug bolt holes on the rim and brake drum and trying different combinations. Bingo! No more shimmy. Thanks Samba!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 3:57 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

I got together with friends and we learned how to assemble and test VW transaxle as taught by a retired mechanic with 50 + years of experience. The day you stop learning or think you know it all is the day you start dying. Keep an open mind continue to learn. Very Happy
73SlowBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 6:15 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Went on a nice roadtrip with wife and daughter to Junebug at Mohnton PA. The motor feels good! Pulls strong! There were plenty of friendly vendors at the show. Got some new door seals and a new antenna. Door seals installed. Adjusted clutch when I got home. I had no freeplay at all, and clutch was not fully engaging. Slipping at high load in 4th gear. I'm hoping that was all I needed, and not a new clutch.
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:15 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

73SlowBug wrote:
Went on a nice roadtrip with wife and daughter to Junebug at Mohnton PA. The motor feels good! Pulls strong! There were plenty of friendly vendors at the show. Got some new door seals and a new antenna. Door seals installed. Adjusted clutch when I got home. I had no freeplay at all, and clutch was not fully engaging. Slipping at high load in 4th gear. I'm hoping that was all I needed, and not a new clutch.

Eh! If you couldn't smell the clutch. You'll likely be ok.
But, yea. They need a bit of adjusting. Once in a while.

Good Luck.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 355, 356, 357 ... 447, 448, 449  Next
Jump to:
Page 356 of 449

Jump to: