Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New carburetor, rough idle on cold start... am I doing it wrong
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
73SlowBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 5:52 pm    Post subject: Re: New carburetor, rough idle on cold start... am I doing it wrong Reply with quote

Starbucket wrote:
sotoman wrote:
ok guys. i ordered the rpm dwell meter from ebay.
i can get a timing light cheap at the flea market next weekend.
thats a big help, thanks.

the new distributor and sending my solex to Tim is gonna have to wait a bit Crying or Very sad

but i can use the rpm dwell meter to improve what i have as much as i can for now...

question: i have this laying around... can i use this in my beetle?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

the manifold heat tubes arent clogged, because i glass beaded them a few years ago when we rebuilt the engine.

also, i have lots of usable parts here if anyone is interested in trading...

Almost all chain auto parts stores loan timing lights for free.

You Can use the oil bath filter pm your bug. Clean it out real well first
VolkzBitz Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:01 pm    Post subject: Re: New carburetor, rough idle on cold start... am I doing it wrong Reply with quote

Are you using an electric fuel pump? It could be pushing too much pressure and flooding the carburetor.

Der Vergaser Meister
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sotoman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:32 pm    Post subject: Re: New carburetor, rough idle on cold start... am I doing it wrong Reply with quote

yes im using an electric fuel pump.

and i dont know how to set up the oil bath on my carb.
i looked on youtube and i didnt find any videos on how to actually set it up

I roast the best friggin coffee you'll ever have! Shipped to your door. Cheap!
73SlowBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 4:50 pm    Post subject: Re: New carburetor, rough idle on cold start... am I doing it wrong Reply with quote

Not sure what you have to set up?
To clean it, take the top off, and run some kerosene or carb cleaner in it after disposing of the old oil if there is any. Swish it all around and let it dry. Fill with more oil to the line (not over).

Do you have the charcoal emissions canister under the rear passenger fender still? If not just set the oil bath up on top and tighten tighten it down. The big hole on the right bottom right side of your cleaner is where the carb preheat goes. The small one on the right is for the oil breather/crankcase ventilation hose. The two little ones on the left you won't use with your 009 distributor. Just connect everything the same as you have it now. The only addition will be the carb preheat hose. It'll work without it. But It'll run better cold with it.
joey1320
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 4:59 pm    Post subject: Re: New carburetor, rough idle on cold start... am I doing it wrong Reply with quote

joey1320 wrote:

Check your fuel pressure - you want 3psi at idle. HF sells a $13 fuel/vacuum tester kit (before 20% coupon). Most aftermarket fuel pump are not properly set to OEM specs. You can adjust the fuel pressure by adding/removing gaskets under the pump.

I see you have an electric fuel pump, more reasons to check your fuel pressure. If it's over 3psi, you'll need to add a regulator to set it correctly.

What is the engine currently doing?
kpf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:51 am    Post subject: Re: New carburetor, rough idle on cold start... am I doing it wrong Reply with quote

sotoman wrote:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Did you happen to keep that original distributor? That’s the one you need. Most likely, you can disassemble, clean, and lube it, and it will be as good as new.

Kris
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: