Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Where does this preheat hose go to?
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
themrfreeze
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 6:20 pm    Post subject: Where does this preheat hose go to? Reply with quote

Hi all. Sorry if this is a stupid noob question.

I'm slowly getting my '68 German-market car up-to-snuff, and came across a news article yesterday about a Swedish car museum closing and a ton of old VWs being auctioned off. One of them is a '68 VW 1300, almost identical to my car.

Looking through the photos I found two shots of the engine compartment...identical to mine. However, the museum car has the preheat hose for the oil bath filter hooked up. It heads towards the driver's side and disappears behind the engine (see attached pic). Mine doesn't have the hose and the flap is "wedged" in place. It's my understanding that is generally okay for warm weather driving (which is pretty much all I'll be doing with my car), but now I'm curious about the preheat hose.

I looked behind the fan shroud and found a hole in the "firewall" behind it, which must be for the preheat hose. Does anybody know where the hose goes after that? I would think it has to be getting heat from somewhere...maybe the original driver's side heater box had an outlet for this but the aftermarket units don't, hence it was removed from my car at some point in the past?

TIA for any info you can provide!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 6:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Where does this preheat hose go to? Reply with quote

Yes, some heat exchangers have a nipple for the small hose and a corresponding hole in the tin, time to start watching the classifieds for a used one.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
60ragtop
Bonneville Belt Bitch

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 7:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Where does this preheat hose go to? Reply with quote

hooks to this

Certified Hunter Wheel Alignment Master Technician 1986

tasb wrote:
I've restored a large number too, but I don't toot my horn quite as loud.

sb001 wrote:
maybe he just snapped cause his car sucked Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
themrfreeze
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Where does this preheat hose go to? Reply with quote

Thanks for the feedback guys...I'll have to crawl under the car and see if the heater box has the outlet for the hose or if it's an aftermarket unit that doesn't have it.

On a slightly related note, did VW stamp the engine tins with logos or part numbers or anything? I've noticed the curvature of the rear edge of my breast plate doesn't quite match the curvature of the car itself so there's a small gap between it and the rubber gasket right in the center. I don't see any evidence of accident damage so I'm wondering if it might be an aftermarket tin. Certainly doesn't look brand new though, and there isn't anything stamped on it anywhere.
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Where does this preheat hose go to? Reply with quote

if you dont have a forward tin port nor heater box nipple for installation like the museum Bug photograph, the other factorybstyle method, which all my so equiped Bugs have is that hose going thru the rear tin piece, almost straight down from the aircleaner nipple. a rubber grommet on the tin hole protects the hose, the hose hooks to a nipple that is aimed at the under car engine sled tin, where waste head and cylinder heat is expelled.

And a big Samba Welcome to a newbie!

Yellow 181 Red Bug Orange Bug Orange Bug Orange Bug Green Bug Orange Bug Purple Bug Purple Bug Green Bug Orange Bug Orange Bug Purple Bug Orange Bug Red Bug Yellow 181

Bug On!

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Where does this preheat hose go to? Reply with quote

Yes VW did indeed stamp the stock tins.

You really have to look close to find them. But every piece of tin on my engine is og.

Good Luck.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Where does this preheat hose go to? Reply with quote

67rustavenger wrote:
Yes VW did indeed stamp the stock tins.

You really have to look close to find them. But every piece of tin on my engine is og.

Good Luck.

I wonder why? Its not as if without seeing the hidden stamp that I would try to use the tins on a Ford, or Volvo, or something other than a VW by some mistake. Weird reasoning? who knows? None the less cool, just why?

Question Question Question Question Question Question Question Question

Bug On, with correct tin logos!

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
themrfreeze
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 6:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Where does this preheat hose go to? Reply with quote

bluebus86 wrote:

I wonder why? Its not as if without seeing the hidden stamp that I would try to use the tins on a Ford, or Volvo, or something other than a VW by some mistake. Weird reasoning? who knows?

Perhaps to indicate that the part is an official Volkswagen OEM part and not an aftermarket part. Seems to me that every OEM part I've ever purchased/looked at on all of my various cars was marked with the manufacturer's logo.

In any case I'll have to take a closer look next time I remove the breast plate. Looked at it pretty closely when I cleaned it and didn't see any markings. Thanks for the info!
themrfreeze
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 8:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Where does this preheat hose go to? Reply with quote

I was finally able to get the back of the car jacked up today and look underneath. Low and behold the left heater box has the connection for the preheat hose...it's just missing the hose itself. The car was in California from ~'71-'05 and taken very good care of here on the east coast from '05 until now. What are the chances the heater boxes are originals?

Also, while looking behind the fan shroud for where the preheat hose goes, I noticed that the tube that goes through the fan shroud for the accelerator cable is "loose"...it only goes into the hole in the back firewall maybe 1/4" and the flared end near the carb sits about 1" proud of the fan shroud. It doesn't appear to be permanently affixed in place in any way...I can freely move it back and forth. Is that normal? While underneath the car I took a look at the tube the cable runs through and it appears to be firmly attached to the backside of the engine compartment. I'm concerned that the tube could come loose while driving and allow the accelerator cable to chafe against the hole in the firewall.
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 9:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Where does this preheat hose go to? Reply with quote

themrfreeze wrote:
I was finally able to get the back of the car jacked up today and look underneath. Low and behold the left heater box has the connection for the preheat hose...it's just missing the hose itself. The car was in California from ~'71-'05 and taken very good care of here on the east coast from '05 until now. What are the chances the heater boxes are originals?

They'd almost have to be- I have never in my life seen a heater box that had this extra port for the preheat hose. Were those 1- year only boxes I wonder??

Incidentally, though, the air cleaner pictured above may have been a type used with the 1300 engine as you already mentioned- but all the 1968 US spec 1500cc engines I've seen used a dual-snorkel air cleaner--one on each side. On these the preheat hose still came from the cylinder 1/2 side of the engine through a stovepipe mounted under the tin. This:

So I would love to see a pic of the heater box you have with the extra port, but I don't know why it would have come with that.

themrfreeze wrote:
Also, while looking behind the fan shroud for where the preheat hose goes, I noticed that the tube that goes through the fan shroud for the accelerator cable is "loose"...it only goes into the hole in the back firewall maybe 1/4" and the flared end near the carb sits about 1" proud of the fan shroud. It doesn't appear to be permanently affixed in place in any way...I can freely move it back and forth. Is that normal? While underneath the car I took a look at the tube the cable runs through and it appears to be firmly attached to the backside of the engine compartment. I'm concerned that the tube could come loose while driving and allow the accelerator cable to chafe against the hole in the firewall.

I assume when you say your accelerator cable guide tube goes through a hole in the "firewall," what you really mean is it goes through a hole in the front engine tin piece. It does not actually go through the firewall otherwise it would be in the passenger cabin Smile

The tube goes through the fan shroud and hole in the front engine tin and then goes beneath the firewall engine bay seal just atop the bell housing (you usually have to cut a small notch out of the engine bay seal yourself when you buy a new one to allow the tube to poke through.) On the other side of that seal (atop the bell housing) is where the throttle cable flex tube running under the car comes up and terminates in a flared end.

So when you push the guide tube through the fan shroud and the front tin, it should go under the seal, and into the flared end of the flex tube which helps hold it in place so the cable doesn't walk. Here's a pic I found in my gallery that illustrates this (the end of the flex tube should be on the other side of the seal- the metal guide tube should actually be going through the seal. I just pulled the flex tube through the seal to take the pic):

If it's not going all the way under the seal and into the flex tube's flared end it will be pushed out on the back side (back is back of car) of the fan shroud.

The movement of the cable as you are accelerating can also cause the guide tube to move back and forth through the fan shroud and cause it to push out toward the back of the car. To solve this you can install a hose clamp around the guide tube on the front side (front is front of car) of the fan shroud to hold it in place so it doesn't walk back and forth.

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor
themrfreeze
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 10:23 am    Post subject: Re: Where does this preheat hose go to? Reply with quote

sb001 wrote:

Incidentally, though, the air cleaner pictured above may have been a type used with the 1300 engine as you already mentioned- but all the 1968 US spec 1500cc engines I've seen used a dual-snorkel air cleaner--one on each side.

So I would love to see a pic of the heater box you have with the extra port, but I don't know why it would have come with that.

My car is a '68 German-spec with a 1300cc engine, hence the "older" style air cleaner. If I end up jacking the car up again before winter hits I'll try to take some pictures of the heater box.

Quote:

I assume when you say your accelerator cable guide tube goes through a hole in the "firewall," what you really mean is it goes through a hole in the front engine tin piece. It does not actually go through the firewall otherwise it would be in the passenger cabin Smile

Lol, yes...I wasn't sure what to call that vertical steel sheet that's behind the fan shroud. Smile Still figuring out some of the nuances of these cars.

Quote:

The tube goes through the fan shroud and hole in the front engine tin and then goes beneath the firewall engine bay seal just atop the bell housing (you usually have to cut a small notch out of the engine bay seal yourself when you buy a new one to allow the tube to poke through.) On the other side of that seal (atop the bell housing) is where the throttle cable flex tube running under the car comes up and terminates in a flared end.

This and the pic are super helpful...thanks! It's possible the tube simply came out of the end of the flex cable (is it just a friction fit?). Mine doesn't have a bend in it though. I messed around a bit trying to push it farther into the hole in the front engine tin and didn't have any luck, but maybe I'll stick a camera back there to get a better idea of what's back there. The idea of using a clamp to prevent the tube from backing out is excellent...will definitely do that.
themrfreeze
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 12:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Where does this preheat hose go to? Reply with quote

themrfreeze wrote:
sb001 wrote:

My car is a '68 German-spec with a 1300cc engine, hence the "older" style air cleaner. If I end up jacking the car up again before winter hits I'll try to take some pictures of the heater box.

Was under the car today to install the pre-heater hose and snapped a pic of the connection on the heater box (at least as best as I could from under the car). The detached hose is also in the pic.

And before anybody mentions it, i know the fuel lines need to be replaced. That's a job next-year me will be doing. Very Happy

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: