Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

VW model build topic
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 29, 30, 31 ... 58, 59, 60  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Accessories/Memorabilia/Toys Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hacksaw-BoB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:06 pm    Post subject: Re: VW model build topic Reply with quote

[size=18]WoW [b][color=blue]volkaholic1[/color][/b] :!: :!: :!:

[color=red]Creativity Above and Beyond[/color][/size] :!: :!: :!:

http://www.VintageVolkswagenModels.com

Collector of Vintage VW Toys

BoB's Restor-Version Shop
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jack1448
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:05 pm    Post subject: Re: VW model build topic Reply with quote

volkaholic1 wrote:
Harley Quinn Bug update,,,, she has a huge wooden mallet ....

I had to look back a couple pages and review the box artwork to understand the reason for the mallet. Then I had to google Harley Quinn to get the backstory on Dr Harleen Frances Quinzel, MD. What can I say - I'm not really into comics or batman Sad although I do remember watching the Batman TV series like every other 9 year old boy was doing at the time.

Nevertheless, I think the Harley Quinn sidestep (to borrow from another air-cooled product line) is one of your wildest and best builds yet. Paint and all the details are spectacular. Could we see some pictures of the Porsche flat 6 engine?

I was hoping to add an update of my own here - one that Volkaholic would be interested in, but I need to retake a few pictures. Hopefully I can share that soon. In the meantime, keep the updates coming!
jack1448
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 2:19 pm    Post subject: Re: VW model build topic Reply with quote

The mechanics were pretty excited to get a new engine to work on - a Porsche 4 cam. The stand was scratch built just for this engine.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

This is one of Volkaholic's resin cast engines, it has taken a while for me to finish this one. Lots of nice details. I probably went a little overboard with the flat acrylic black when I added the highlighting, especially around the carburetors. Here is how the engine came:

Some of the details are highlighted here.

Here is the picture from Volkaholic's gallery that I studied while I was building my copy. He has used this engine in several of his builds earlier in this forum.

Blue Baron
VW Aficionado

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 10:24 pm    Post subject: Re: VW model build topic Reply with quote

I understand that those Pyro mechanics are factory trained.

Heinz Nordhoff
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
volkaholic1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:33 am    Post subject: Re: VW model build topic Reply with quote

well i am glad that engine turned out so well, and the mechanics are well done also, great work!
volkaholic1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 1:20 pm    Post subject: Re: VW model build topic Reply with quote

starting my latest VW model build today, i have decided to kit bash two VW models to build 1 car. I was going to do a type 87 Kommaderwagen, the 4x4 bug based on the schwimmwagen drive train. I am starting with these
My Hobby 1956 oval widow bug
Husagawa Type 82 WWII VW thing

you don't find too many oval window bug models, of course, in this case, i got ot convert it to a split window, oh well

The type 82 has a ton of detail, extra guns, equipment and a figure working on the engine. you do not find too many 1:24 military figures, 1:35 these are thousands of military figures, but not 1:24, although ebay has started having more of the 1:24 custom made stuff.

In doing my research, i found this German site with some really odd ball WWII cars. I have decided to build a Type 92 SS, this is a pimped out version of the type 87, made just for the Waffen SS guys. Extra stuff they got that normal Kommanderwagens did not come with includes leather sests, a fold out writing table for the passenger side, a build in infrared reading lamp for nightvision, & front and rear gun storage

Some had oversized ragtop sunroofs and some had roof racks

after the war, when the factory was in the British zone, the brits keep folks busy by building cars by hand, 1 refinement they added was a roller bar across the front at the bottom of the apron. What the heck did these guys plan on driving over that this would do anything for? Tree stumps?

Also, some had rear reduction gear boxes, some did not. Based on all the variations, i wonder if any 2 cars where exactly the same? what with wartime shortages and constant engineering refinements.
volkaholic1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 10:21 am    Post subject: Re: VW model build topic Reply with quote

Komanderwagen type 92SS update - i resin cast some skinny off road tires and 2 engines, 1 for display, 1 for the car

note that the tires stick out, so they widened the fenders, i will do that soon, looks like they need 4mm each.
Second Air Force
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 4:41 pm    Post subject: Re: VW model build topic Reply with quote

Great one! I started converting one of these ovals to a split in the early nineties but it's languishing in a box now. Yours will be fun to watch.
volkaholic1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:04 am    Post subject: Re: VW model build topic Reply with quote

Kommanderwagen update - notice anything odd about this figure? ok, let me give you a clue,, think Germany, think WWII, think NAZI, now does anything look odd? yep, he is wearing short pants! Really? short pants on a NAZI? i find it comical. The kit is for a dessert car, so evidently this was the dessert "combat short". Think about what if instead of cargo shorts, they can gone booty shorts, would the war have turned out differently? This car is Eastern Front in Russia, so i got to put long pants and a winter coat on him. will be a challenge.

Smoothgateguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 4:11 pm    Post subject: Re: VW model build topic Reply with quote

With everyone doing such great work, I thought I would check in with my latest project. This is a 1/18 scale tin Bus that I have given a Resto-custom theme. The large scale tins are always fun to work on, but this one gave me a fair bit of trouble on re-assembly. It is somewhat crudely made, with a ill fitting windshield and stubborn fit to the body. On the plus side it is made with a fairly heavy gauge metal (steel), and has one of the best friction motors I have ever seen.

I gave the Bus a hard contrasting two tone paint job, and painted the windows and license area to help showcase what little detail the toy has. Originally it would have had a medium blue bottom half, with a white upper body and a blue roof. The passenger side needed a bit of bodywork, but there was not a lot of other corrections needed.

The manufacturer of this toy Bus is unknown--maybe one of our resident toy experts can identify it.

Many thanks to BusNutBob for donating such a cool toy to my Wellness Foundation!

From this angle you can see the poorly fitting windshield

The sides aren't perfectly staright--just like a real one.

Here is the finished chassis, with a distinctive orange gear peeking out the bottom. I love the skinny tall tires.

Here are the painted sides.

Here is the toy as I received it.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
volkaholic1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:28 pm    Post subject: Re: VW model build topic Reply with quote

nice, the think your paint job came out really nice, yes, it is too bad the windshield so wrong, an otherwise great model. does it really zoom across the floor with that friction motor?
Blue Baron
VW Aficionado

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:59 pm    Post subject: Re: VW model build topic Reply with quote

I don't recognize it at all.

Nice job saving a pretty unusual vehicle. Exclamation

Heinz Nordhoff
jack1448
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 2:18 pm    Post subject: Re: VW model build topic Reply with quote

Glad to see this sticky bumped back to top, even if it might have gotten more visibility under the 'Toy Collectors' thread.

Looks like it was a fun project. The slots in the A pillars suggests that there was once a metal surround for front windows, although it must have been a strange looking beast given the aspect ratio of the windows.

Nice job bringing another neglected toy back to life and thanks for sharing with us!
Smoothgateguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:51 pm    Post subject: Re: VW model build topic Reply with quote

Has it really been 6 months since anyone posted one of their projects? Here is the latest project I've been working on. It's an Avenger GT-12 body on a Union VW chassis. There's not much to say about it, so here are some pics of the finished model. I wanted to do some custom decal work on it, but my printer conked out recently so I am not able to this.

Many thanks to Blue Baron for giving me a chance to build this cool kit.

jack1448
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 12:03 pm    Post subject: Re: VW model build topic Reply with quote

Smoothgateguy wrote:
Has it really been 6 months since anyone posted one of their projects?

Thanks for breaking the ice. Myself I've run into issues on my last build, and since then have started 2 more. ADD?

Kidding aside, that's a nice looking build. I recognize the IMC/Union wheels, but would love to see what else is underneath. Lack of tailpipes tells me there is no engine, but I could be wrong. Any build pics?

What is the source for the Avenger GT body? Resin-cast?
Second Air Force
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 2:42 pm    Post subject: Re: VW model build topic Reply with quote

It's good to see you've been able to do some modeling, and the results are great! I'm guilty of not building much of anything this summer...….
Smoothgateguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 6:40 pm    Post subject: Re: VW model build topic Reply with quote

The body is not glued to the chassis. It doesn't have an engine yet, but I'm sure I'll find something to throw in there.
bnam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 4:32 am    Post subject: Re: VW model build topic Reply with quote

A '66 Tamiya Bug I built many years ago.

1966 Fiat 1500 Cabrio (with 1600 Twin cam)
1952 Citroen TA 11BL
Second Air Force
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 4:09 pm    Post subject: Re: VW model build topic Reply with quote

Nice build!! It jogs my memory of a Bahama Blue 66 that was my daily driver years ago.
Blue Baron
VW Aficionado

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 10:45 pm    Post subject: Re: VW model build topic Reply with quote

Great photography.

I like how you placed it in the driveway.

Heinz Nordhoff
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Accessories/Memorabilia/Toys All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 29, 30, 31 ... 58, 59, 60  Next
Jump to:
Page 30 of 60

Jump to: