Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Slipping clutch...
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
73SlowBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 6:25 pm    Post subject: Slipping clutch... Reply with quote

I went to adjust my clutch as a last ditch before replacing, and had 0 free play. There was plenty tension on the cable even with it fully released. What would cause this? Last time I adjusted the cable was probably January, and it's been fine since. Today, I had to loosen the cable to get freeplay in spec, and the clutch is no longer slipping. I'd think it would go the other way as the clutch disc wears down, unless I'm missing something. My pedal assembly is in good shape (not broken). If the cable was "stretching", i'd think id have to tighten, not loosen. Is this just what happens as the clutch wears? Maybe a transmission mount was bent somehow (doubt it)? Thanks.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 6:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Slipping clutch... Reply with quote

As the clutch disc wears the cable tightens, regular maintenace requires loosening it every so often. So far it sounds like yours isn't doing anything odd.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
73SlowBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Slipping clutch... Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
As the clutch disc wears the cable tightens, regular maintenace requires loosening it every so often. So far it sounds like yours isn't doing anything odd.

Thanks. Good to know. I'll keep an eye on it. I've never replaced a clutch on a bug. I'm not wanting to do it now for the first time.
DurocShark
Samba Member

Location: Crappy town in a crappy state. But the beach is nearby, so I have that going for me.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Slipping clutch... Reply with quote

73SlowBug wrote:
busdaddy wrote:

Thanks. Good to know. I'll keep an eye on it. I've never replaced a clutch on a bug. I'm not wanting to do it now for the first time.

If you can pull the engine, you can do the clutch.

Just hope you don't find one of these like I did:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Multi69s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 12:04 am    Post subject: Re: Slipping clutch... Reply with quote

Check your motor mounts. Get a good light and a pry bar, crawl under the car and do a little prying, and looking. If the motor mounts are bad, the engine / trans, shifts position, which affects the clutch cable. Unless the clutch has came apart, or the throw out bearing has a problem, you shouldn't go from normal to no free play.
Gone but not forgotten 72 Baja Bug 2010
My builds
T4 into Squareback http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=458944&highlight=
Auto Trans Rebuild http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=516066&highlight=
AC in Squareback https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
73SlowBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 1:03 am    Post subject: Re: Slipping clutch... Reply with quote

Multi69s wrote:
Check your motor mounts. Get a good light and a pry bar, crawl under the car and do a little prying, and looking. If the motor mounts are bad, the engine / trans, shifts position, which affects the clutch cable. Unless the clutch has came apart, or the throw out bearing has a problem, you shouldn't go from normal to no free play.

My motor mounts are new and were replaced last year. I don't think it was sudden, I just didn't notice until it reached the of slipping. All is well now. No slip.
Multi69s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 1:15 am    Post subject: Re: Slipping clutch... Reply with quote

73SlowBug wrote:
Multi69s wrote:

My motor mounts are new and were replaced last year. I don't think it was sudden, I just didn't notice until it reached the of slipping. All is well now. No slip.

Something had to change to cause the clutch to slip, things just don't fix themselves. Check the clutch tube where it exists by the transmission. Also lift up the back seat and check the clutch tube for breakage. After 40 years it is very common for a clutch tube retaining weld, or the tube itself to break.
My builds
T4 into Squareback http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=458944&highlight=
Auto Trans Rebuild http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=516066&highlight=
AC in Squareback https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 6:14 am    Post subject: Re: Slipping clutch... Reply with quote

Check your motor mounts anyway. I recently replaced the motor mounts on my '74. It was the 2nd time in a year i had to do it because of the crappy quality of the after market ones. That one bad mount didn't cause the issue you're having however, it did cause big clunks as the engine torqued and would smack down on the mount when I released the gas pedal. I suppose you could have more than one bad mount.

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
73SlowBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 11:31 am    Post subject: Re: Slipping clutch... Reply with quote

Still didn't find anything broken or bent or loose today. I also just went through a thorough state inspection, and the mounts checked out. They definitely checked them (that's how i found out i needed new ones last year). I've put 400 miles on since the initial post. The freeplay is still in spec, and no clutch slip. Honestly think it just gradual "wandered" to no freeplay, without me noticing, until it finally started slipping, as the clutch broke in and settled. It had been quite a few thousand miles since last adjusted. Probably 10k-11k since last January.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 12:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Slipping clutch... Reply with quote

Multi69s wrote:
Something had to change to cause the clutch to slip, things just don't fix themselves.

To me, it sounds like 73SlowBug DID adjust the clutch cable to allow some slack, why the slip stopped.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Multi69s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 12:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Slipping clutch... Reply with quote

Unlike a vast majority of folks on this forum, I am getting up there in years, (hopefully retire in 4). All of this time the only car that I had for a daily driver is VW (my 92 year old dad had the first VW/Porsche shop in this region). During all this time I have run engines from stock to wild. That being said, I have never had a clutch that "wandered" to no free play. A stretched or braking clutch cable would cause too much free play. So something had to shift / break to have you lose your free play (clutch tube, throw out bearing, pressure plate, clutch disc separating, or even the pedal assembly getting loose from the tunnel). Its great that you got the free play back to where its supposed to be. However, pay attention to it like a hawk. If you start to notice that the free play is starting to tighten up again, you will have to do some serious investigating.
My builds
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 3:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Slipping clutch... Reply with quote

Multi69s wrote:
I have never had a clutch that "wandered" to no free play. A stretched or braking clutch cable would cause too much free play.

Neither have I experienced that on my two VWs.

But I've also never had a generator belt or accelerator cable break while I was driving either. A clutch cable - yes, broke one in 1979 while on vacation in California, but even then carried a spare cable, wingnut, and grease.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
73SlowBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 2:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Slipping clutch... Reply with quote

[quote="Cusser"]
Multi69s wrote:
I have never had a clutch that "wandered" to no free play. A stretched or braking clutch cable would cause too much free play.

I now know what caused this problem. Oil from my rear main seal was leaking onto the clutch, causing accelerated wear. My clutch went out around Thanksgiving and had now been replaced. I also needed a new flywheel (not resurfaced) because mine had, according to my mechanic, disintegrated.
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 2:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Slipping clutch... Reply with quote

Oil on a clutch disc might make it grab or slip, but accelerated clutch wear? Sounds weird. Once you get enough oil or grease on the disc, it will slip or grab quickly. And I’ve never heard of a flywheel that “disintegrated”. Unless, of course, the mechanic was talking about the teeth; but in this case, you’d have heard a lot of racket when engaging the starter.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: