Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

vw stock exhaust system
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
narrowfarm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:02 am    Post subject: vw stock exhaust system Reply with quote

Hello I am wondering if my 1300cc single port 1966 engine could take a 1200cc exhaust?? I don't need the heat set up for my convertible summer time kit car. I am looking to possible buy the 1200cc stale air exhaust system. I just have the j tubes on the 1300cc engine and would like to use the heat riser ports on the 1200cc stale air muffler which is much simple design compared to the stock 1300cc exhaust system with all the heating ports that I don't need.
. My 1300cc has an after market exhaust system and my intake manifold builds up condensation and gets cold. The after market heat risers are not working properly
Will the 1200cc exhaust bolt up to the 1300cc engine??? I just need the simple design and the heat riser tubes as the 1200cc has.
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 5:05 am    Post subject: Re: vw stock exhaust system Reply with quote

No. The 1200 engine is narrower between the exhaust flanges.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

And even between 1200, the reach of the different style mufflers is different. Also the diameter of the sealing ring - stale air has a 32mm ID and fresh air has the same 35mm of the tailpipe. Here's a photo of a 1200 fresh air muffler on a 1200 stale air engine - you can see they don't line up:

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Denny B
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:39 am    Post subject: Re: vw stock exhaust system Reply with quote

This gets my curiosity up....I have a '65 Beetle that I thought was a 1200 but I have the muffler in the top photo (1300-1600). So...is my '65 Beetle a 1300?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:45 am    Post subject: Re: vw stock exhaust system Reply with quote

Are you sure it's that top muffler? There have been several different manufacturers over the years.

What's the engine serial number? (that will only give you born-as info, and all kinds of changes can happen in half a century, but it's better than nothing)

Fresh air was introduced on the 1200 in mid December 1962. Those have the extra ducts leading down to the heater boxes and they look similar to the 1300-and-up heater boxes but they are still narrower. The last couple comparison images above are between stale and fresh air 1200 mufflers.

Okay, let's fall back on the cylinder head and intake manifold ID image:

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:20 am    Post subject: Re: vw stock exhaust system Reply with quote

narrowfarm wrote:
Hello I am wondering if my 1300cc single port 1966 engine could take a 1200cc exhaust?? I don't need the heat set up for my convertible summer time kit car. I am looking to possible buy the 1200cc stale air exhaust system. I just have the j tubes on the 1300cc engine and would like to use the heat riser ports on the 1200cc stale air muffler which is much simple design compared to the stock 1300cc exhaust system with all the heating ports that I don't need.
. My 1300cc has an after market exhaust system and my intake manifold builds up condensation and gets cold. The after market heat risers are not working properly
Will the 1200cc exhaust bolt up to the 1300cc engine??? I just need the simple design and the heat riser tubes as the 1200cc has.

You do realise you can just uncrimp or cut and remove the two fresh air manifolds from the typical stock 1300-1600 muffler, right? They're just sheet metal; might take you about fifteen minutes to remove them, tops.
narrowfarm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:52 pm    Post subject: Re: vw stock exhaust system Reply with quote

Thanks so much for the pictures!! just curious what dose the fresh air ports do??
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:17 pm    Post subject: Re: vw stock exhaust system Reply with quote

Well, they are part of the heat exchanger system. The heater boxes themselves transfer heat from cylinders 1 and 3, but the shells on the muffler do something of the same for cylinders 2 and 4 - the fan shroud blows air over those hot pipes before going through the heater boxes, maximizing the heat delivered to the car.

Oh, and yes they can be removed. I've taken them off before - sometimes they are the only good bits remaining on rotted out German mufflers, and prying them off in such a way that they can be re-used, well it's a bit of work, but those old German ones are sometimes a bit better than the ones found in the aftermarket, and changing them out can be a good thing. Also I went kind of the opposite way - I don't mind the additional heating effect of these so I flipped a left side shell upside down and made it fit onto the right side of the Offroad Extractor on my Baja Bug. (I was never able to make it work for the left side though)

Denny B
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:56 pm    Post subject: Re: vw stock exhaust system Reply with quote

glutamodo wrote:
Are you sure it's that top muffler? There have been several different manufacturers over the years.

What's the engine serial number? (that will only give you born-as info, and all kinds of changes can happen in half a century, but it's better than nothing)

Fresh air was introduced on the 1200 in mid December 1962. Those have the extra ducts leading down to the heater boxes and they look similar to the 1300-and-up heater boxes but they are still narrower. The last couple comparison images above are between stale and fresh air 1200 mufflers.

Okay, let's fall back on the cylinder head and intake manifold ID image:

My engine # is: 9629625

My intake manifold looks like the photo to the left so I guess I have a 40HP 1200cc.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: