Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

PICS Wanted of removed side/rocker panel
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ianNJ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:18 am    Post subject: PICS Wanted of removed side/rocker panel Reply with quote

Hey guys. Not sure what you call it but the side skirt/rocker panel on a later version GL...has anyone removed these? I know there are clips and holes under it. I would like to remove them, bondo the holes and not have them at all. Has anyone done this?

in the pic its the silver/tan part or part that wraps around and matches the bumper.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

90 GL Frankenstine w/Boxeer 2.0 TDI CR, Peloquin TBD
RIP - 2003 Eurovan

Instagram @ian.Surfside

*if you known someone that struggles with addiction let me know.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 4:34 am    Post subject: Re: PICS Wanted of removed side/rocker panel Reply with quote

No, I haven't but having dealt with trim attachment holes in years gone by, bondo isn't your answer...... welding is.

Thin round bondo patches can literally fall out.

Also bondo through metal can actually wick in moisture and cause rust.
Never use bondo to fill a hole in metal as a long term repair.

Oh, I've seen it done for sure! As a Younger person...... I've done this very "repair"...... It just isn't the correct repair method.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mikemtnbike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 5:40 am    Post subject: Re: PICS Wanted of removed side/rocker panel Reply with quote

That's called "cladding."

It's easy to remove- there's bolts along the bottom that have to be loosened, probably rusty, spray with your favorite penetrant and let sit for a day or two before attacking. After the bolts are removed, it just lifts of the clips.

For filling the holes- I think the three options for that, in descending order of "proper", are:

1) Welding.
2) Goop. The (in)famous Terry Kay suggested this one, I've seen the results, not bad at all. In a nutshell, remove the cladding, drill out the rivets, put a backer behind the hole, fill with Goop, smooth, paint over.
3) Drill out the existing pop rivet, replace with another pop rivet. Would kind of give the van a steampunk look, I guess.

Why are you removing the cladding? It looks to be in good shape...if it's because you don't like the way it looks, check out my gallery, I painted my muuuuuuuch more beat up cladding with truckbed liner and I think it looks great.
dabaron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 5:52 am    Post subject: Re: PICS Wanted of removed side/rocker panel Reply with quote

mikemtnbike wrote:
That's called "cladding."

It's easy to remove- there's bolts along the bottom that have to be loosened, probably rusty, spray with your favorite penetrant and let sit for a day or two before attacking. After the bolts are removed, it just lifts of the clips.

i believe it's a 10mm nut. just loosen them (no need to remove the nut), then slowly pull the bottom away from the Vanagon. lift straight up. DO NOT FORCE, you might break the collar on the back that the nut/bolt clamp use to secure it to the Vanagon.

i need to Gorilla Glue a few of mine back on. you might also need to replace some rivets. the 1/4" rivets that come with the guns are not long enough. 1/2" is what you will need.

BiWerks Design, LLC
mikemtnbike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:41 am    Post subject: Re: PICS Wanted of removed side/rocker panel Reply with quote

yeah, it's confusing that I said loosen at first, then say removal- loosen is all you have to do. Thanks dabaron.
dabaron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:16 am    Post subject: Re: PICS Wanted of removed side/rocker panel Reply with quote

mikemtnbike wrote:
yeah, it's confusing that I said loosen at first, then say removal- loosen is all you have to do. Thanks dabaron.

i had a heck of a time with mine because the collars at the bottom were torn but still hanging on, barely. took some time to figure out that the collars were borked and i was not helping them by being a hamfisted brute.

BiWerks Design, LLC
wesitarz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:53 am    Post subject: Re: PICS Wanted of removed side/rocker panel Reply with quote

Regarding removal: PB blaster on the nuts (10mm), ratchet and socket to loosen and the nuts might loosen if not too rusted or the bolts might break off which is good, if not fashion a hook of some kind and from below, press down on the top of the carriage bolt while turning with the socket. The turning and pressure pushed the bottom hooks out along with the cladding on mine and no need to loosen the nut all the way.
I happened to have this in my workshop:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
ianNJ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:49 pm    Post subject: Re: PICS Wanted of removed side/rocker panel Reply with quote

Thanks!

I want to remove it because I think it looks too low. I’m gojng to wait until the wheels/tires and lift are in. I think it will appear to be an inch or so higher as it hangs down.

Thanks for the tip about bondo. I can have a buddy help
Me weld it for sure. Any idea how many holes are down there?

As for the bed liner. That is definitely a good idea. Which would be my second option so I am glad I see thoes pics.

90 GL Frankenstine w/Boxeer 2.0 TDI CR, Peloquin TBD
RIP - 2003 Eurovan

Instagram @ian.Surfside

*if you known someone that struggles with addiction let me know.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rmcd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:59 pm    Post subject: Re: PICS Wanted of removed side/rocker panel Reply with quote

The Bentley show details and has templates for mounting the cladding on the front doors. The templates are off btw.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: