Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Grant Steering Wheel
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lilchas57
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 5:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Grant Steering Wheel Reply with quote

I have a classic wood grant steering wheel also on my 68. Will buy the #3565 kit for install. I have a horn button on dash but want to have horn button on wheel, any help on hooking up wires to have a complete horn, thanks
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 5:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Grant Steering Wheel Reply with quote

Lilchas57 wrote:
I have a classic wood grant steering wheel also on my 68. Will buy the #3565 kit for install. I have a horn button on dash but want to have horn button on wheel, any help on hooking up wires to have a complete horn, thanks

In 68, the upper steering shaft bearing and the steering shaft itself were part of the circuit for grounding the horn. Trace the brown wire from the horn (-) terminal. It should run to the brown wire for the upper steering bearing. This transfers the current to the steering shaft itself. The shaft is insulated from the column housing and from the steering box on the front beam. Your metal steering wheel mounts to the top end of the shaft making it also a part of the ground circuit.
There should be a wire passing thru the steering shaft. At the bottom, it will be connected to the bolt/nut that attached the steering box to the insulating coupler. This pic show how the wire connects to the steering box bolt while the steering shaft itself is electrically insulated by the coupler.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The top end of this wire pops out from the opening at the top end of the steering shaft. There it connects to one side of the horn button. If your horn button closes the connection between this wire and your steering wheel/coupler you are done. When you press the installed horn button you close the circuit which will ground your horn to the steering box.

If for some reason pressing the horn button does NOT connect the wire to the steering wheel, there should be two terminals on the horn button (you may need to cut a connector on the horn button). There should be a male spade somewhere inside your steering wheel or inside the adapter where you can connect one of the terminals. Worse case, add a wire with a ring terminal on one end and a female push on connector at the other. Mount the ring connector to one of the bolts that hold the steering wheel adapter in place. The other terminal on the horn button connects to the wire coming out of the shaft. When you press the horn button these two wires are connected together and the horn should sound. Any time the steering wheel or steering shaft is grounded while the ignition is ON, the horn should sound.
'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}
Lilchas57
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 3:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Grant Steering Wheel Reply with quote

Thank you so much for the good info, I need it because I forgot to mention that my car is really a piece meal dune buggy , which has there own issues , Thanks again.
abchica
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 2:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Grant Steering Wheel Reply with quote

Does anyone know which installation kit should I use for matching a grant 502 to a Mexican 75' Beetle???? I'm looking on Amazon and there are two kits: the 3565 and the 3568, according to Grant, the 3568 its the kit made for my bug, however, there are many reviews which indicate that the 3568 didn't fit their cars and on the reviews of the 3565 kit, people comment otherwise. Please, someone, help me with my dilemma!!! Crying or Very sad
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 4:15 am    Post subject: Re: Grant Steering Wheel Reply with quote

Does your Beetle have a steering column mounted wiper switch? Maybe post a pic? This is the biggest interference point for aftermarket steering wheels.

I think it really depends if your steering wheel is flat or dished. The dished wheels will give you more clearance. Flat ones need taller spacers.

These two kits are just for fitting the wheel to the end of the shaft. They don't take into account spacing to make sure the wheel is free to rotate. Spacers are an extra item. Just did a quick Google search and it looks like the 3565 kit is for the earlier larger diameter splined steering shaft end as it will fit a '71 Beetle. The 3568 looks like it is for the later style (smaller diameter) splined end (same splines used on the Golf/Rabbit/Jetta).

You can usually tell which shaft by the size of the socket needed to remove the large nut at the end of the steering shaft (under the horn button). A 27mm socket is needed for the earlier large spline shaft while a 24mm socket is needed for the later smaller diameter splines. This was for the German made Beetles. I'm assuming the Mexico built Beetles used the same standards. Other than the difference in the splined centers, these kits seem to be identical.

The later Beetle steering columns that place the wiper switch on the steering column ('72-later) need more space to prevent the steering wheel from contacting the windshield wiper lever. I think Grant sells an additional 2" spacer (#4000) to push the wheel away from the end of the shaft giving you more room for the levers. Hopefully someone will confirm if this spacer with your steering wheel is enough to clear the levers.

As a workaround, some will just heat+bend the levers out of the way, but this tends to look "hacked".
'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: