Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What did you do to your Bug Today?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 356, 357, 358 ... 447, 448, 449  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:21 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Removed the carbs to have them rebuilt after 12 years.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DurocShark
Samba Member

Location: Crappy town in a crappy state. But the beach is nearby, so I have that going for me.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:25 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Purdy Glenn! I'd be happy if ANYTHING looked that good after 12 years of my "care"... Wink
73SlowBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:42 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

67rustavenger wrote:
73SlowBug wrote:
Went on a nice roadtrip with wife and daughter to Junebug at Mohnton PA. The motor feels good! Pulls strong! There were plenty of friendly vendors at the show. Got some new door seals and a new antenna. Door seals installed. Adjusted clutch when I got home. I had no freeplay at all, and clutch was not fully engaging. Slipping at high load in 4th gear. I'm hoping that was all I needed, and not a new clutch.

Eh! If you couldn't smell the clutch. You'll likely be ok.
But, yea. They need a bit of adjusting. Once in a while.

Good Luck.

Nope, couldn't smell the clutch. I hope you're right.
Matt Brutosky
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:32 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Finally got the factory rear defrost window back in after having to replace the rear package tray/firewall. And got the redwood headliner in (still needs to have screw holes filled, sanded and oiled) because I am horrible at installing bow hung headliners.
Volcrew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:14 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
Keep an open mind continue to learn. Very Happy

Good advice. I tell engineering students that the diploma is just an indication that the school thinks you have the ability to learn. You have to then continue as a life-long learner.
ctknecht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:13 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

vamram wrote:
CTK, the only thing that's ever worked for me to get a solid pedal with a single push is to
1.)tighten both adjusters on all 4 tires so that you can't turn the tires by hand; 2.)pump the brakes a couple of times between tightening of each wheel's adjusters.
3.) Bleed each wheel using the one person pump while you bleed method; follow the order of the Bentley manual for your model car;
4.) back of the adjusters a click at a time per wheel until the wheel drags but you can turn it w/out getting a hernia.

This worked for me on my two Supers over the last couple of months. I have great brakes now, no double-pumping needed.

vamram, thanks for the tip responding to my need to pump the brakes to stop even after adjusting a bleeding. We finally got around to doing this and the brakes work so much better now (for drum brakes that is). Sadly, this was the first thing we attempted to do when we bought the car in March so it was reasonably safe. Ultimately, we rebuilt all 4 of them completely and learned a lot along the way.

In the process of this last adjustment/bleeding, we had to replace the brake light switches. Right after we finished adjusting and bleeding, my son took it out for a drive and I noticed the brake lights not working...he was so disappointed we had to park it again until repaired.

All good now. Brake lights work and even the brake warning light is working properly now. I replaced both switches with the 3 pronged switches. The PO had improperly wired the 2 prong versions, which is possible, but has to be done a certain way. Along with improper wiring, he was only using 1 switch for the brake warning sensor (concept works off differential of the 2 sensors so it never would have worked his way) and the other switch for the brake lights (rather than running them in parallel and having redundancy for the lights).

Next we need to work on the oil leak (we think is coming from the oil cooler seals), the interior (floors and dash panel/gauges), and then the suspension (everyone keeps telling us our bug looks great lowered, LOL Very Happy ).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nachche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:50 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

DurocShark wrote:
It's a lift table. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XNZ5GV6/

Not normally useful for VW engines because it doesn't go down low enough, but the baja has so much clearance already, it worked pretty well. I borrowed it from work. Sadly they didn't have an ATV jack which I would have preferred. Wink

thanks!! i see what you mean about the height problem..
vdubguru
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 1:56 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

I bought my first aircooled vw. Have had many watercooled VW's and a couple Audis but, this is the first of the aircooled persuasion.
techincally it wasn't today but a week ago... semantics
1968 with a 1600 motor (not original). From the looks of things its been restored once before. pretty clean of rust. There are a few spots here and there but its a good runner.
plans are to get it sitting low with smoothies and white walls, a roof rack and some other little mods. Would like to swap to the blade style bumpers down the road. We'll see what happens!

Cheers!
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:24 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

It's a beauty as it is. Leave it like that! Just saying....

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:58 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

vamram wrote:

X2

Looks perfect the way it is.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DurocShark
Samba Member

Location: Crappy town in a crappy state. But the beach is nearby, so I have that going for me.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 5:50 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Replaced the alternator in the 68 Baja.

Why is that such a PITA? You'd think VW would have come up with SOMETHING better in the many decades this engine has been around...
DurocShark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 5:54 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

wcfvw69 wrote:
vamram wrote:

X2

Looks perfect the way it is.

I'd swap you for my 68 Baja with a brand new 1835 engine TODAY. Laughing

Seriously, if you want to modify one, find one that needs some love anyway. That one is too beautiful as-is to mess with.

Of course, it's your car. Don't let us old farts tell you what to do. Smile
J@ngo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 6:51 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Installed Headlights and fenders
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 7:46 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Drove my 1970 next door and attached a dragging thingee to drag Mrs. Cusser's horse arena. She then dragged the arena with thqt and then with her own drag harrow using the VW.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Emspilot55
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:47 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

vdubguru wrote:
I bought my first aircooled vw. Have had many watercooled VW's and a couple Audis but, this is the first of the aircooled persuasion.
techincally it wasn't today but a week ago... semantics
1968 with a 1600 motor (not original). From the looks of things its been restored once before. pretty clean of rust. There are a few spots here and there but its a good runner.
plans are to get it sitting low with smoothies and white walls, a roof rack and some other little mods. Would like to swap to the blade style bumpers down the road. We'll see what happens!

Cheers!

Beautiful!!
seiyaTokyo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:23 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Drove it and shot a movie of my 1974 VW1200 Very Happy

Link
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Volcrew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:58 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

seiyaTokyo wrote:
Drove it and shot a movie of my 1974 VW1200 Very Happy

Kobayashi san: Thanks for posting. Your posts remind me of my fond memories in Japan.
Ricksurfin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 4:55 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Had a bad front end shake between 40-45mph. Replace tie rod ends and all is good now.
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:25 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Ricksurfin wrote:
Had a bad front end shake between 40-45mph. Replace tie rod ends and all is good now.

Did you set toe after the exchange? Hoping so. The car can get a little squirrely if it is off by much.

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
Ricksurfin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 5:23 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Yes, set to 1/8”. Seems to drive good, but may take for an alignment.

Edit: Drove to work today, and have a slight drift to the left when I take my hands off the steering wheel. Need to check tire pressures, and also confirm that I have the correct amount of toe in.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 356, 357, 358 ... 447, 448, 449  Next
Jump to:
Page 357 of 449

Jump to: