Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Turbo Street Rail Build
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
madmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:13 am    Post subject: Re: Turbo Street Rail Build Reply with quote

930's then , Laughing Laughing I hear ya on more padding Wink our michigan roads suck Laughing
76 Drag/Street bug 2180cc 'Turbo' 11:85 @113 mph"If I go any faster I'll burn up the Hamster" ,gets 28 mpg. also 10/09/22 11.90 @115 mph
"If I'm ever on Life Support,UNPLUG Me, Then Plug me back In see if that Works"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
di11ard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 7:58 am    Post subject: Re: Turbo Street Rail Build Reply with quote

I finally upgraded the shifter!

After removing the old unit, I found the box had a crack along the seam on the top right. This was creating some flex when shifting.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I am not a welder, so, I looked in the scrap pile and found some aluminum angle left over from creating the center console. I will cut a few pieces to re-enforce the box.

After a bit of gridinging and trimming, it is time to install this gorgeous piece of art from bug-tech:

Installed:

I should have not waited as long as I did to upgrade the shifter. This thing completely changes the experience driving the rail. Yes, she handles the same, but the feel from the short/tight throws makes the driver feel more connected to the machine.

A huge recomendation from me to anyone considering the upgrade.
pullstart
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 8:36 am    Post subject: Re: Turbo Street Rail Build Reply with quote

Looks sweet! Does it have a reverse lockout?

my build page: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=662104&start=0
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
di11ard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:57 am    Post subject: Re: Turbo Street Rail Build Reply with quote

pullstart wrote:
Looks sweet! Does it have a reverse lockout?

THANKS!

There is a bar on the right of the shifter (with springs) that can be tightened or lossened to set the tension for reverse lockout... So, not exactly a reverse lock out (in the traditional sense), but you can set it tight enough to make it almost impossible to get into reverse.

I have mine set so it takes a good 20 or 30 lbs of force to pull into reverse. I have not downshifted into reverse by accident with this setup.

Here is a picture of a Bug-Tech shifter, shown from the opposite side, to give a better idea:
pullstart
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 6:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Turbo Street Rail Build Reply with quote

That’s a great design, I can’t stand the lockout button I have to catch with my pinky to grab reverse... not so easy to get a second hand on it with the 5 points now...

my build page: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=662104&start=0
di11ard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 8:58 am    Post subject: Re: Turbo Street Rail Build Reply with quote

pullstart wrote:
That’s a great design, I can’t stand the lockout button I have to catch with my pinky to grab reverse... not so easy to get a second hand on it with the 5 points now...

Exactly. I'm a big fan of this design.
di11ard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:29 am    Post subject: Re: Turbo Street Rail Build Reply with quote

I finally decided how I wanted to add padding to my seats this past week. I decided to use Neoprene foam rubber to line the seats. This is something I have seen lots of guys add to cafe racer (motorcycle) seats over the years. I thought this would give me a bit of padding without adding much "bulk" to the seats.

With that in mind, I purchased a couple rolls of foam from Amazon. At $25 per roll (6 foot in a roll), I purchased two. This gave me plenty of rubber to experiment and ensure I could achieve the desired look.

I cut, sanded and formed the individual pads for the seats.

I grabbed a few yards of fabric at the craft store to use as a backing for the pads. This could have been skipped, but adding the backing will help removing the foam if needed in the future. Glueing the pads directly to the seats could make for a mess without the backing.

Test fitting the pads:

One the pads were cut, sanded and had a fabric backing, I glued the pads to the seats, with the exception of the bottom pad that is velcroed in place. I opted to velcro the bottom seat pads to access the seat bolts in a situation where they may need to be removed.

As you can see above, I have a bit of glue shown on the edges that needs to be cleaned. I can do this with a fine grit sand paper, or possibly using some go gone... But I need to experiment to ensure it will not eat away the foam.

Overall, I spent a couple days in the garage on this project. I am fairly happy with the results. The foam is medium/soft density. It softens the seats & dapens the vibrations without being too compliant.
di11ard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 9:12 am    Post subject: Re: Turbo Street Rail Build Reply with quote

I broke another CV joint.

I got it on video this time...

Link
geno1950
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 9:49 am    Post subject: Re: Turbo Street Rail Build Reply with quote

Nice street buggy! What is the lever and red knob behind your shifter?
di11ard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:30 am    Post subject: Re: Turbo Street Rail Build Reply with quote

geno1950 wrote:
Nice street buggy! What is the lever and red knob behind your shifter?

Thanks.

Turn signal controller. The red knob is to flash hazards.
Booky
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 5:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Turbo Street Rail Build Reply with quote

What happened with this build did you finish it? I’d like to build one like it.
Bashr52
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 5:52 am    Post subject: Re: Turbo Street Rail Build Reply with quote

di11ard wrote:
I broke another CV joint.

I got it on video this time...

Link

Well it is quite apparent when it lets go isn't it Laughing

Are you replacing them with stock CV's or have you found upgraded parts? Are they still type 1 size, or are they Thing/Type 4?
di11ard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 1:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Turbo Street Rail Build Reply with quote

Booky wrote:
What happened with this build did you finish it? I’d like to build one like it.

Still tinkering on the buggy. Not much to report now that we have snow on the ground.

I am convinced I am going to change the powerplant in the next year or so, but, I cannot make up my mind between gas or electric.

Small projects that will be addressed this winter:
    Weight box behind the front beam (for adding/removing lead shot)
    Upgraded steering (Rack and Pinion or Porsche ZF steering box)
    Rear Sway Bar
    Harness bar
di11ard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 1:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Turbo Street Rail Build Reply with quote

Bashr52 wrote:

Well it is quite apparent when it lets go isn't it Laughing

Are you replacing them with stock CV's or have you found upgraded parts? Are they still type 1 size, or are they Thing/Type 4?

I am running type 2 CVs.

I think they are being over articulated. I need to change to 930 CVs, but I keep thinking about changing the trans and engine... So I haven't made any changes at this time and just keep replacing with type 2 CVs (since I have a few extras on the shelf).

As long as I treat her nice, they don't seem to break.
BloxhamB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 2:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Turbo Street Rail Build Reply with quote

I know this is kind of an old thread, but Ive lurked on this site for a very long time and finding this thread finally made me want to join. Amazing looking street rail, and has honestly made me want to build something similar rather than a Baja Bug like I’ve been lusting after. With the exception of wanting a flat 6 (EG33 or EZ30) rather than forced induction, and possibly in a mid mount set up rather than all that weight hanging off the back.

di11ard wrote:
Time to get some help from the local expert.

Judging from this picture you have a bit more -camber in the rear, unless it’s exaggerated from being strapped down onto the trailer. Any idea what your camber measurements are front and rear?

I’m also kind of curious whether or not you know what frame it is and if you know the wheelbase? It looks like a Berrien Warrior?? Which would make it 95” before your 2x3 arms.

Thanks in advance, and again coolest rail I’ve seen, major props to you.
di11ard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 9:48 am    Post subject: Re: Turbo Street Rail Build Reply with quote

BloxhamB wrote:
I know this is kind of an old thread, but Ive lurked on this site for a very long time and finding this thread finally made me want to join. Amazing looking street rail, and has honestly made me want to build something similar rather than a Baja Bug like I’ve been lusting after. With the exception of wanting a flat 6 (EG33 or EZ30) rather than forced induction, and possibly in a mid mount set up rather than all that weight hanging off the back.

di11ard wrote:
Time to get some help from the local expert.

Judging from this picture you have a bit more -camber in the rear, unless it’s exaggerated from being strapped down onto the trailer. Any idea what your camber measurements are front and rear?

I’m also kind of curious whether or not you know what frame it is and if you know the wheelbase? It looks like a Berrien Warrior?? Which would make it 95” before your 2x3 arms.

Thanks in advance, and again coolest rail I’ve seen, major props to you.

Thanks for the kind words! I am glad you signed up.

A mid-engine setup would be really cool and make for a great project. I am excited to see what you build.

My camber is set at 0 degrees front and back. Ideally, I'd like to have a couple degrees on the front... I will adjust the front camber in a future project as I'd like to do it correctly with offset link pins (like they use in formula vee).

The picture does show a lot of negative rear camber as I had not adjusted the camber plates at the time of that picture.

I'm not positive of the frame, but a Berrien Warrior is a very probable guess.... However, my wheelbase from the center of the front wheel to the center of the rear wheel is 94.5"
di11ard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2019 7:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Turbo Street Rail Build Reply with quote

Last spring the lower front beam mounts were extended forward to increase negative caster, and new upper shock mounts were added to the rear. Today, I finally slapped on a layer of paint over the modifications (to cover the bare metal).

She will be on the dyno tomorrow for the first time!
di11ard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 12:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Turbo Street Rail Build Reply with quote

First run on the dyno is now in the books.

First Run: 170 horsepower & 212 lb.-ft. of torque
Second Run: 174 horsepower & 219 lb.-ft. of torque

Both runs at 12 lbs of boost.

Link
di11ard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 6:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Turbo Street Rail Build Reply with quote

Link
ratrodrail
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 11:42 am    Post subject: Re: Turbo Street Rail Build Reply with quote

I know this is a bit old but worth bringing back up. Awesome build. I'm looking to do a similar build with an sr20 turbo. I'm currently trying to source the chassis and not having luck finding just what I want. Does anyone know what chassis this is? Berrien Buggy? I don't know but I like the chassis design it seems to be proportional. Its hard to find pictures of rails that also tell what manufacture and model they are. I know a lot of them are completely custom and that is out of my wheel house.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: