Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Original fog lights
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 11:44 am    Post subject: Re: Original fog lights Reply with quote

Nigel where did you get the blue cap from? Trying to source some different colors for some various projects...

2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDi 6 speed manual

206-841-7324
[email protected]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
NASkeet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 6:17 am    Post subject: Re: Original fog lights Reply with quote

Stuartzickefoose wrote:
Nigel where did you get the blue cap from? Trying to source some different colors for some various projects...

Hello Stuart.

Are you referring to the blue switch-knob lens in the following picture!?! Smile

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

If so, the answer is that I made this and other coloured lenses (i.e. orange, yellow & light-green) by cutting out two different-diameter discs, from off-cuts of coloured, translucent acrylic (ICI Perspex) sheet. These are then combined to form a lens of the same dimensions as the original green lenses of the VW Type 3 & 4 pattern heated rear-window switches.

Extremely few British specification, 1968~79 VW Type 2s were equipped with heated rear windows and associated dashboard switches, so even if one could find a VW Type 2 in local car breakers' yards (a rare event - I encountered fewer than six over a period of nearly 30 years), there would have been little chance of finding a single one of these VW Type 2 pattern switches, yet alone several! Crying or Very sad

I scrounged (i.e. swopped for a tin of miscellaneous garment buttons) the material off-cuts from the art department, at Basildon College, where I worked as a part-time, short-term contract lecturer, during 1995~96.

I used the same material to create new coloured warning-light lenses, for my 60 mm diameter, Lucas 8-segment warning light clusters.

Nigel A. Skeet

Independent tutor (semi-retired) of mathematics, physics, technology & engineering for secondary, tertiary, further & higher education.

Much modified, RHD 1973 VW "1600" Type 2 Westfalia Continental campervan, with the World's only decent, cross-over-arm, SWF pantograph rear-window wiper

Onetime member, plus former Technical Editor & Editor of Transporter Talk magazine
Volkswagen Type 2 Owners' Club (Great Britain)

http://www.vwt2oc.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 7:38 am    Post subject: Re: Original fog lights Reply with quote

Wow didn't know they were hard to find there, I have like 20...

I was hoping they were screw in caps...trying to copy a stock switch setup just in blue...Confused

2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDi 6 speed manual

206-841-7324
[email protected]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 7:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Original fog lights Reply with quote

For anyone interested, I took some measurements on the holes where the front fog light wires run through the nose. These fog lights were factory installed in this single cab in 1975, so make of that what you will. Here are the details:

The wire hole is 1 cm in diameter, with its center located 3.0 cm from the top of the nose skin seam, and 44 cm from the edge of the door jamb, with the measuring tape following the curve of the nose.

1969 Transporter, 1971 Westfalia, 1976, 1977, 1976, 1977, 1971, 1973, 1977 Westfalias,
1979 Champagne Sunroof, 1974 Westfalia Automatic, 1979 Transporter, 1972 Sportsmobile, 1973 Transporter Wild Westerner, 1974 Westfalia parts bus
, 1975 Mexican single cab *FOR SALE*, 1978 Irish 4-door double cab RHD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sestino
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 6:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Original fog lights Reply with quote

Bump.

I am doing a lot of wiring on my bus this summer and I'm thinking about adding some auxiliary lights on my front bumper.

Anyway, I came across this old thread and its lengthy discussion of Hella dash switches for fog lamps. I just looked on Ebay and it looks like there is a U.S. seller with some NOS switches. They do not have the symbol of a light on the center, but they do have three color disc options.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hella-Universal-Fog-Light-Switch-/172164418581?hash=item2815cc8c15
BayCreamPuff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 6:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Original fog lights Reply with quote

sestino wrote:
Bump.

I am doing a lot of wiring on my bus this summer and I'm thinking about adding some auxiliary lights on my front bumper.

Anyway, I came across this old thread and its lengthy discussion of Hella dash switches for fog lamps. I just looked on Ebay and it looks like there is a U.S. seller with some NOS switches. They do not have the symbol of a light on the center, but they do have three color disc options.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hella-Universal-Fog-Light-Switch-/172164418581?hash=item2815cc8c15

Those aren't NOS. They are new hella switches. It'll work, but won't match your existing switches.

If you want it to match you can just use a defogger switch. It's got all the contacts you need for front fog lights. Paint the face orange with some nail polish if you want.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/search.php?...ds=Defrost

Earl Grey
'87 GoWesty 2.2 Westfalia

Marsha Mellow
'00 Eurovan VR6 Full Camper
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 7:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Original fog lights Reply with quote

BayCreamPuff wrote:
If you want it to match you can just use a defogger switch. It's got all the contacts you need for front fog lights. Paint the face orange with some nail polish if you want.

Whatever happened to the guy in Greece who made up a bunch of nice reproduction orange fog light switch bezels?

Scott was selling these, but is now out of stock. Perhaps he can't get the orange bezels either.
http://www.germansupply.com/home/customer/product.php?productid=18406
1969 Transporter, 1971 Westfalia, 1976, 1977, 1976, 1977, 1971, 1973, 1977 Westfalias,
1979 Champagne Sunroof, 1974 Westfalia Automatic, 1979 Transporter, 1972 Sportsmobile, 1973 Transporter Wild Westerner, 1974 Westfalia parts bus
chimneyfish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 10:25 am    Post subject: Re: Original fog lights Reply with quote

jtauxe wrote:
BayCreamPuff wrote:

Whatever happened to the guy in Greece who made up a bunch of nice reproduction orange fog light switch bezels?

Scott was selling these, but is now out of stock. Perhaps he can't get the orange bezels either.
http://www.germansupply.com/home/customer/product.php?productid=18406

I have not seen Eleny (Topaz) who sold them on here for a while, or been in contact with her. I have bought several parts in the past from her and her husband, who repops the items.

Jeffrey at BusOK has them (original German NOS ones):
http://have-a-nice-bay.nl/product_info.php?products_id=7516

His Samba profile is here:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=164874

Fog light switch thread here:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5...;start=60- you will see in that thread, that Jason has so many, he could organise a samba tiddlywinks tournament Wink
1972 T2 Camper (Devon), 1988 Golf, 1972 Type 1, 1984 Polo, 1972 T2 Camper (Danbury)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 3:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Original fog lights Reply with quote

chimneyfish wrote:
I have not seen Eleny (Topaz) who sold them on here for a while, or been in contact with her. I have bought several parts in the past from her and her husband, who repops the items.

Yes, Topaz is the name.

Hmm... it just so happens that my daughter is on her way to Athens as we speak, on the Semester at Sea ship. I might see if she can run an errand...
NASkeet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 8:47 am    Post subject: Re: Original fog lights Reply with quote

NASkeet wrote:
I have an aluminium switch-panel, substituted in place of the dashboard's central ash tray, incorporating six 20 mm, square-section, push-button switches (cost just a few pounds for the set of eight), salvaged from a Citroën Visa car; two of which have emblems and integral orange-lensed, tell-tale warning lamps, for front & rear fog lamps.

I have recently sourced a Hella fog-light switch, with integral orange-lensed warning light (Hella part No. 6RE 001 596-051) which features the 1968~79 VW Type 2, switch-knob pattern (i.e. dimpled, truncated cone), which is a three-pole switch, with the following functions:

Position 0: All lamps switched off
Position 1: Rear fog-lamps switched on
Position 2: Front fog-lamp switched on
Position 3: Front & rear fog-lamp switched on

I might use it instead of the two 20 mm, square-section, push-button switches (cost just a few pounds for the set of eight), with emblems and integral orange-lensed, tell-tale warning lamps, for front & rear fog lamps salvaged from a Citroën Visa car.

Such a switch might also be used in conjuction with relays, for the after-market, two-zone, electrically-heated front windscreen for the 1968~79 VW Type 2s, but considering that each zone has 19A current rating, one would need to significantly uprate the rear-to-front electrical supply cable and/or the electrical-supply (i.e. battery and/or alternator), to cope with operating both 19A zones at the same time.

Nigel A. Skeet

Independent tutor (semi-retired) of mathematics, physics, technology & engineering for secondary, tertiary, further & higher education.

Much modified, RHD 1973 VW "1600" Type 2 Westfalia Continental campervan, with the World's only decent, cross-over-arm, SWF pantograph rear-window wiper

Onetime member, plus former Technical Editor & Editor of Transporter Talk magazine

Last edited by NASkeet on Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:16 am; edited 1 time in total
alman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 1:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Original fog lights Reply with quote

^ that switch is pretty cool! that may belong in the rarest of the rare thread?
NASkeet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:36 am    Post subject: Re: Original fog lights Reply with quote

The switch has FOUR ¼-inch spade terminals and three selected ON positions.

Two of the selected ON positions appear to involve rotating the knob CLOCKWISE or ANTI-CLOCKWISE.

Rotating the knob in the CLOCKWISE direction would switch ON just the REAR fog lamps.

Rotating the knob in the ANTI-CLOCKWISE direction would switch ON just the FRONT fog lamps.

The third selected ON position, involves pulling OUT the switch-knob, which switches ON both the FRONT and REAR fog lamps together.

Looking at the following pictures of a similar switch with green lens, I deduce that it might be possible for me to replace the 1968~79 VW Type 2 pattern switch-knob with a spare VW Type 3 & 4 pattern switch-knob (would probably need modifying), to match the other switches on my 1973 VW Type 2 dashboard.

Looking at the current classified advertisements for VW & Porsche single-throw fog-light switches, I can't help feeling that the vendors are expressing their sense of humour! Shocked Rolling Eyes

Porsche 914 OEM Hella Fog Light Switch and Knob Price: $150

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1842564

VW Type 3 & 4 style switch-knob , single-throw switch

Fog light switch Price: $150

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2044214

Late style 1968~79 VW Type 2 pattern single-throw fog-light switch

Bay window fog light switch HELLA ON/OFF Price: $95

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2184792

Early type 1968~79 VW Type 2 pattern single-throw fog-light switch

Nigel A. Skeet

otiswesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 5:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Original fog lights Reply with quote

Pretty nice Nigel

Whats the Hella part number at the bottom of the cardboard?

Just a regular guy
alman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 4:35 am    Post subject: Re: Original fog lights Reply with quote

otiswesty wrote:
Pretty nice Nigel

it is in his post.
Hella part No. 6RE 001 596-051
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

otiswesty wrote:
I found a couple more like those, Opossum. I wonder if the different types are VWoA accessory vs VW in Europe, or whether it is dependent on model year? My LT is from Europe obviously, hmmm.

Actually, that first pic below is VWoA and those overriders are a VWoA product, so maybe the amber round front fogs are a VWoA dealer addon.

1977 Accessories

1975 Accessories

#1975vanlife

Who puts rectangular fog lights on a round headlight car?

Oh, forgot it was the 70s
NASkeet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:03 am    Post subject: Re: Original fog lights Reply with quote

alman72 wrote:
otiswesty wrote:
Pretty nice Nigel

it is in his post.
Hella part No. 6RE 001 596-051

Perhaps I should have printed it in extra-large font size, emboldened and contrasting colour!?!

This switch seems to have been manufactured later than the one featured in my 1976 Hella accessories catalogue; featuring a bar code on the reverse side of the cardboard packaging. On the right-hand side of the cardboard packaging, opposite the large, blue Hella logo, there is printed in small typescript 3.88 (possibly representing March 1988) and 480 464-68 and 01.

On the terminal-end of switch, in addition to the terminal labels, there is embossed in the black-plastic surface, a Hella logo, followed by the digits 1596-05.

Included in the packaging, is a black self-adhesive sticker to fit onto the dashboard (space permitting). Supplementing the instructions on the back of the blister-pack, the sticker shows which fog-lamps are switched on by rotating or pulling the switch-knob. Printed on the sticker’s black background, are white & red fog-lamp emblems, for the front & rear fog-lamps respectively.

The switch has FOUR ¼-inch spade terminals and three selected ON positions.

The four terminals, marked as indicated, are for connection to:

· ZN - Front fog-lamp relay terminal 86
· 58 - Side-light supply terminal
· NES - Rear fog lamps
· DBGM - Tell-tale lamp’s earth

Two of the selected ON positions appear to involve rotating the switch-knob CLOCKWISE or ANTI-CLOCKWISE.

Rotating the switch-knob in the CLOCKWISE direction would switch ON just the REAR fog lamps and illuminate the switch’s tell-tale lamp.

Rotating the switch-knob in the ANTI-CLOCKWISE direction would switch ON just the FRONT fog lamps, but will NOT illuminate the switch’s tell-tale lamp.

The third selected ON position, involves pulling OUT the switch-knob, which switches ON both the FRONT and REAR fog lamps together and illuminate the switch’s tell-tale lamp.

The fact that the switch’s tell-tale lamp only illuminates when the rear fog-lamps are switched on, reinforces my conviction that one ideally needs separate instrument-panel mounted, tell-tale lamps, for both the front & rear fog lamps. It is my intention to include this facility within one of the two Lucas 6WL, 60 mm diameter, 8-segment warning-light clusters.

Nigel A. Skeet

Last edited by NASkeet on Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:03 am; edited 1 time in total
H8 Ashbury
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:31 am    Post subject: Re: Original fog lights Reply with quote

For reference, this pair has never been installed or fiddled with.

NASkeet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:18 am    Post subject: Re: Original fog lights Reply with quote

In addition to the NOS – new-old-stock Hella triple-throw fog-lamp switch (Hella part No. 6RE 001 596 051), with integral orange-lensed tell-tale lamp, I received in the mail today, an “unused”, Hella triple-throw fog-lamp switch (probably Hella part No. 6RE 001 596 001), with integral green-lensed tell-tale lamp; contained in a non-original, plain brown cardboard box, labelled “HELLA 11/49 SIDELIGHT + HEADLIGHT SWITCH CLASSIC CAR”.

When I contacted the vendor to clarify the switch’s various ON positions, he was convinced that it had only one rotary ON position and one pull-out ON position, but I tested it myself earlier this afternoon using the ohms-scale on my multi-meter and confirmed that it has a total of three ON positions, of identical function to that of my NOS orange-lensed fog-lamp switch.

Likewise, the four terminals are labelled ZN, 58, NES and DBGM. However, instead of being embossed with the Hella logo, followed by the digits 1596-05, the Hella logo, followed by the digits 11/49; which the vendor might have interpreted as being the Hella part number.

Given that I did not need to compromise the integrity of any original NOS packaging (which might otherwise compromise the possible future resale value of my orange-lensed fog-lamp switch), I was able to more closely examine the green-lensed fog-lamp switch, including the removal of the 1968~79 VW Type 2 style switch-knob, which would be required in order to fit the switch into a vehicle’s dashboard.

To remove the switch-knob, one must first unscrew the green plastic lens, after which the switch-knob simply slides off the square-sectioned portion at the lower end of the colourless, transparent plastic shaft. The thread size appears to be M8.

I am ignorant of the significance of the digits 11/49, but on German E-bay, I stumbled upon another such switch which bears this mark, but the switch has no switch-knob or lens! If one can find a suitable switch-knob and lens, it might be a relative bargain by current standards, at circa 25 Euros plus shipping.

Ford Taunus orig. Hella 11/49 Schalter switch Nebelschlussleuchte Opel NSU VW

https://www.ebay.de/itm/Ford-Taunus-orig-Hella-11-...SweJ1ZwUb3

There are two others listed on North American E-bay, from a museum in Germany, but at asking prices of US$149 & US$95 respectively, plus shipping, they are a bit TOO expensive for my taste!

HELLA GREEN FOG LAMP LIGHT DASH BOARD SWITCH SCHALTER MERCEDES

https://www.ebay.com/itm/HELLA-GREEN-FOG-LAMP-LIGH...rk:14:pf:0

GREEN CONTROL LIGHT PULL SWITCH DASHBOARD FOG LAMP LIGHT CAR HELLA - VINTAGE

https://www.ebay.com/itm/GREEN-CONTROL-LIGHT-PULL-...rk:39:pf:0

Here's another priced at US$155 plus shipping.

VINTAGE HELLA DOUBLE THROW FOG LAMP SWITCH VOLKSWAGEN T2 T2b BEETLE KÄFER BUG

https://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-HELLA-DOUBLE-THRO...xyDgRRBPPV

Nigel A. Skeet

Last edited by NASkeet on Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:49 am; edited 5 times in total
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:

#1975vanlife

Pay no attention to whats behind the bush.....

Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed

NASkeet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:

#1975vanlife

Let's not forget that Hella also manufactured some square front fog lamps, such as those that are illustrated in my 1976 Hella accessories catalogue. Wink

Nigel A. Skeet

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7

Jump to: