Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Water in pushrod tubes
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zen Bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:37 am    Post subject: Water in pushrod tubes Reply with quote

Engine out and on the tin off for cleaning. I also have my rocker arms and pushrods out, getting new seals in the pushrod tubes. But I was cleaning it, so I put tubes back in and valve covers on, but power washing it, I took the valve covers off and noticed some water got in through the valve cover on the left side and it seems like a little got down into the pushrod tubes. Anybody have a suggestion on how to dry them out and/or put it anything down there, like someone oil, etc. to make sure I don’t get rust in the time I am putting it back together, which will be a week or two?
'79 w/ Sunroof & zBed @ 10:11pm 22 of June 2009 I drove my grandpa's old bus! Thanks to The Samba and all!! 2.0; single weber carb; 78 heads & exhaust, electronic fuel pump.
malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:20 am    Post subject: Re: Water in pushrod tubes Reply with quote

Not that it matters, but Type 4 has lots of plugs and plates on the bottom? There are many posts on lots of aircooled forums about water or foam from water in the engine oil. That water is probably condensation in the case.

In your instance, I would drain the oil and get a look at how much water is in there. But the water will sink to the bottom. So drain it. Remove the plug and the sump plate, the taco plate too, maybe the oil filter. Since it is out of the bus, get a helper and move the engine around. Rock it to get the most out you can.

If you want, put some cheap oil in it and after you run it, change the oil to your normal oil. I bet everything will be fine. once the oil temp gets to 220 the water will evaporate, if it has a place to vent.

Just my 2 cents. Good luck.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:24 am    Post subject: Re: Water in pushrod tubes Reply with quote

replace the oil. Watch out for the nut on the oil strainer if you take it off. 9 ft lbs max or it breaks a part in the engine that trashes the engine.
Zen Bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:35 am    Post subject: Re: Water in pushrod tubes Reply with quote

Thanks, yeah I was thinking about the oil change as well. There’s no oil in it right now because I’ve got everything off, but I will definitely do that ASAP. Thanks!
'79 w/ Sunroof & zBed @ 10:11pm 22 of June 2009 I drove my grandpa's old bus! Thanks to The Samba and all!! 2.0; single weber carb; 78 heads & exhaust, electronic fuel pump.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: