Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

valve guides
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vugbug68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:38 pm    Post subject: valve guides Reply with quote

I ordered a few different oversized valve guides to replace one that came loose on my Tims Stage 1's. CB had .002" and .005" so I ordered 2 of each, the valve would not slide into the .002" guide at all, but it fit perfect in the .005" guide, tried a few different valves with the same results, I dont understand nothing was said about the inside diameter being different. Anyone else have this issue?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:12 am    Post subject: Re: valve guides Reply with quote

If the diameter is extra small you may have to ream it in two, or possibly even three steps.
My preferred method is one pass diamond hones, but you can only take out about .0007-.001 per pass, so if the ID was extra small I'd have to start with a .313-.314 HSS reamer, then pass both my diamond hones through it, so, three steps.
And, so, what's the difference between two steps and three? well, not much.
What's the issue?

the issue is.... if you have the right reamer for the hole, or the right hole for the reamer.
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:25 am    Post subject: Re: valve guides Reply with quote

That's what I'd say if you walked into the shop.

Did I nail it? who knows.
You don't have to have mastery, or even proficiency, just to make it work, nor do I expect everybody to be an expert. If you want to start at the stone age or whatever....that would be fun too. But.....it's going to be hard if you go back so far that you don't have a 0-1 micrometer. So, tell me you do?
FreeBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:23 am    Post subject: Re: valve guides Reply with quote

vugbug68 wrote:
I ordered a few different oversized valve guides to replace one that came loose on my Tims Stage 1's. CB had .002" and .005" so I ordered 2 of each, the valve would not slide into the .002" guide at all, but it fit perfect in the .005" guide, tried a few different valves with the same results, I dont understand nothing was said about the inside diameter being different. Anyone else have this issue?

Hi, I think we need to start at the beginning: what you may not know (not many people do) is that the inside diameter is something which needs to be adjusted. This is because, when the guide is pressed in, the inside diameter will change, and you have to adjust it (with a reamer) to the proper size for the valve stem.

That's the basics; for specifics, read what Modok says.
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:39 am    Post subject: Re: valve guides Reply with quote

I suppose if one didn't know that guides have to be reamed to size, one might also try to hammer a new guide in there and possibly crack the boss too! We all have to start somewhere, right? But, still, expensive lesson if it all goes bad, no?

Any machine shop should be able to install them, and ream to size. But a shop not familiar with air cooled heads might also muck up the job.

So, I suppose if I spent good money on parts from a shop that does almost exclusively one type of part, I would most likely call that shop for info, or more likely just have them fix a problem.

So, why not send them to Tim's and have them fixed correctly?

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
Coyotemutt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:12 am    Post subject: Re: valve guides Reply with quote

Q-Dog wrote:

So, why not send them to Tim's and have them fixed correctly?

On that note, if you have nice enough heads to warrant freshening up the valve guides, which shops would you send them to?

Makes sense to send Tim's heads back to Tim, of course.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:17 am    Post subject: Re: valve guides Reply with quote

vugbug68 wrote:

All valve guides need to be reamed after they are installed. How much? Depends on how much crush you are applying to the OD of the guide relative to the hole in the head. It can vary slightly from guide to guide, even on the same head. Can you get away with doing it in your garage? Sometimes yes and sometimes no. I would never give an aircooled head to a shop that doesn't normally do them.

https://www.facebook.com/mofoco?ref=ts&fref=ts

www.mofoco.com

Cylinder Head Reference Sheet
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Type 5 Joe
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:39 am    Post subject: Re: valve guides Reply with quote

The 1st issue to address would be the loose guide.

The guide boss most likely is ovalled / Galled / oversize / inconsistent in size... If it was run that way for awhile.

You need to set the head up in a mill and "dial in" on the guide boss hole. Obviously it must be positioned with truest part of the existing hole aligned with the ram (or quill) of the machine.

Do a "kiss cut" with an end mill to establish location and a land for an oversize reamer.... Ream the hole and check it visually and with measuring tools for a full "clean up".

Then determine the size (outside diameter) of the guide you need... Often I just make the guide a custom size on a the lathe. Finish it on the O.D. with the interference fit you desire... Make the I.D. slightly undersize for final finishing.

Then address the inside diameter / valve stem clearance after its installed.

You'll need to re-cut the seat once the guide installation / valve stem fit issue is repaired... I would recommend having both heads gone through.

I'm sure Steve Tims could do all this for you... And maybe work with you on price a little (maybe) as they were his heads.

I don't use the P.M. service on here.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
FeelthySanchez
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:16 am    Post subject: Re: valve guides Reply with quote

Another nudge to suggest contacting/sending it off to Tims, as it could be a native goof. If so, repairs might even be gratis.
Also maybe ask yourself how well did ya wish this engine to run:
So far, only a couple gents here have mentioned that valve guide R&R also requires that the corresponding valve seat be reconditioned to maintain concentricity (ref: Head Reconditioning 101, 2 Units)
Enough clue..Whats that mean?
OldIronSpine wrote:
I'm not sure how compression works.
Turbos don't produce torque, they produce HP. Instead of torque.
The real problem with NA engines is you don't hear the nice whine of the turbo as it spools up.
Before I commit, I'm going to do more research because I don't really know what piston rings are.
vugbug68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:21 pm    Post subject: Re: valve guides Reply with quote

I understand that they have to be reamed to size once installed, but I’m confused why the difference in size (it’s like .004”) I might just take them down to CB or Tim’s, the heads have 30-35k on them so I’d hate to have another one come loose, might be time for a refresh anyway.
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 3:22 pm    Post subject: Re: valve guides Reply with quote

VALVE GUIDES NEED SIZING !!!!! they are not put in and run items.
FeelthySanchez
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 3:53 pm    Post subject: Re: valve guides Reply with quote

Difference in their OD sizes is to CYA as much as possible: we know that 1 guide fell out, so at the least - the new guide going in there needs a larger OD.
Generally best left to the gent whom performs the valve job, but here's the basics of it: If a +.002" OS guide doesn't stick fast, knock-out the +.002 & try the +.005" size.
Guide IDs are normally & deliberately furnished a trifle undersize because they will distort/upset slightly when pressed into the head's guide boss. Think of it as a simple math equation: undersized ID as furnished + slight compression when installed = more undersized ID due to the press fit. Hence the "crush" that Roy noted, & need for the subsequent ream-to-fit operation.

Bottom line is @ 30-35K, she may be about due for a valve job anyway, so let the machinist sweat the gory details Wink
Enough clue..Whats that mean?
OldIronSpine wrote:
I'm not sure how compression works.
Turbos don't produce torque, they produce HP. Instead of torque.
The real problem with NA engines is you don't hear the nice whine of the turbo as it spools up.
Before I commit, I'm going to do more research because I don't really know what piston rings are.
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 12:37 pm    Post subject: Re: valve guides Reply with quote

so... why did the guide fall out Confused china head?
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 1:26 pm    Post subject: Re: valve guides Reply with quote

vugbug68 wrote:
I understand that they have to be reamed to size once installed, but I’m confused why the difference in size (it’s like .004”) I might just take them down to CB or Tim’s, the heads have 30-35k on them so I’d hate to have another one come loose, might be time for a refresh anyway.

Actually I have noticed that CB and some of the others make the guides with precision ID, even honed, to maximize the chances of a success for noobs, which MUST have been special order. Why is the .005 over different? probably they ran out and it's a new batch.
Cb will change the product with no notice. If they run out of one thing they will substitute a different brand with no notice. Like how they sent me silverline cam bearings and I shrugged and sent them to the recycle bin.
That's fine. Cb's not the ideal outfit but it's about the best we have, so, support em. Like I said on a professional level the specification for guide ID is anywhere between finished size and .005" under, and since the method of reaming guides is different there isn't an ideal.....but professionals are not going to want to PAY for a already honed guide when they will just have to re-hone it anyway, that's just common sense.

Last edited by modok on Sun Oct 14, 2018 12:41 am; edited 1 time in total
nsracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:02 pm    Post subject: Re: valve guides Reply with quote

Are you trying the guides and valve stem outside the head? or installed? Before you install the guides, you need to figure out the dimensions of that g guide boss. Is the bore oval? Is the bore tapered? You need and inside mic to see that. How much press will the new guide get?

This is machining shit. Care must be taken when removing the old guide. Most shops will just chatter gun the guide out. Sometimes it will mushroom and broach the guide boss.

On installing guides, i found the only guides that need resizing are the ones hammered in with sledgehammers. Laughing

If you install the proper size guides and they go in straight, the valve stem should fit. If you do not heat the heads when you install the new guides it will sometimes get mushroomed if you hammer the shit out of it.

I have done many rebuilds on heads before when I did big-valve conversions and that has been my experience w/ installing guides.

It is not as simple as it seems.
vugbug68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:43 pm    Post subject: Re: valve guides Reply with quote

nsracing wrote:

If you install the proper size guides and they go in straight, the valve stem should fit. If you do not heat the heads when you install the new guides it will sometimes get mushroomed if you hammer the shit out of it.

I tried to fit the valve in the guide before I did anything, just to see how nice the valve fit, thats when I noticed the valve would not fit in the .002" guides, but fit nice in the .005" guides, just an observation, I'd say you could install the .005" guides and not have to ream the guide after.

The reason i'm in this mess is an intake guide came loose on one of my heads, I'm surprised how little material there is around the guide on these heads (Stage 1 w/ dual springs)

oh well, it will be fixed soon
nsracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:46 am    Post subject: Re: valve guides Reply with quote

When the intakeare missing the guide bosses, the guides will walk. That is why i do not use heads that have been chopped like that. I like the 040 castings as they remain to have these intake bosses.

The 113 bosses have been chopped too-
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: