Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1965 11 Window Sundial Project
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dschup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 7:20 am    Post subject: Re: 1965 11 Window Sundial Project Reply with quote

Thanks for the advise about the mount and I'll check the existing shift coupler.

I was able to weld in the bracket, but I don't think I had the correct amount of gap between the two pieces. Check out the pics below, any advise is welcome. I'm using a 110w Lincoln Handy Mig w/gas.

I tacked the bracket in place while it was bolted to my apron, so at least I know it will line up.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

KWZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 7:59 am    Post subject: Re: 1965 11 Window Sundial Project Reply with quote

Baby steps..... The bus is definitely going in the right direction. Post some more correct tire pics!
dschup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:51 pm    Post subject: Re: 1965 11 Window Sundial Project Reply with quote

More correct tire pics will be added when the bus is running or at least out of the garage.

In the mean time, I was able to weld in the passenger side apron mount and mock up the apron and engine lid. Everything seems to line up pretty well with a few things i'll have to adjust after I get this thing running and driving. Still some welding to do, but I'm learning to weld on the slow side to prevent mistakes.

For now I feel great with my first real welding repair. I've got to patch 2 small portions of the frame with 1/8 sheet metal, then on to the engine shelves.

**Thank you to everyone who has ever posted something regarding sheet metal repair and welding. I would not be trying this without first being able to read all of the information you have posted**

Skim
Rants Master

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:36 pm    Post subject: Re: 1965 11 Window Sundial Project Reply with quote

dschup wrote:

I was able to weld in the bracket, but I don't think I had the correct amount of gap between the two pieces. Check out the pics below, any advise is welcome.

Hi turn your heat up a just a tad bit more so your weld will penetrate all the way through. Once you grind those tacks down there won’t be much weld holding it anymore. That particular piece is pretty stout so you can lay into it pretty good without burning through. Nice bus. I’m looking forward to the build!
1954 Sunroof
1959 Lowlight Ghia vert
1960 Lt Grey Double Cab SMZ LEGIT
1963 Deluxe Turkis Walk Thru 15 Window OG Paint
LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 3:01 am    Post subject: Re: 1965 11 Window Sundial Project Reply with quote

Skim I was thinking the same thing, what settings are you using on your MIG and is he too close a butt alignment needing more of a gap?

Skim wrote:
dschup wrote:

I was able to weld in the bracket, but I don't think I had the correct amount of gap between the two pieces. Check out the pics below, any advise is welcome.

Hi turn your heat up a just a tad bit more so your weld will penetrate all the way through. Once you grind those tacks down there won’t be much weld holding it anymore. That particular piece is pretty stout so you can lay into it pretty good without burning through. Nice bus. I’m looking forward to the build!

www.mauiroadsters.com
http://www.oacdp.org
Lind wrote:
Have you considered simply starting with a nicer bus? I don't know what your skills are, but the race is easier if you can see the finish line. If you are not a runner, don't start off doing a marathon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dschup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:10 am    Post subject: Re: 1965 11 Window Sundial Project Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure you're both right. I need more heat and more gap. Regarding the gaps, I cut the replacement pieces to fit the OG metal and make sure the apron bolt holes lined up. Aligning apron mounts and getting the gaps right was difficult. My thought was that I can weld these from both sides and come out ok.

The passenger side, which I did second, had better gaps and the penetration seems better. The issue here was filament, the replacement piece didn't match up as well as the drivers side.

I'm learning and I'll make sure to get better gaps.
dschup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 7:25 am    Post subject: Re: 1965 11 Window Sundial Project Reply with quote

I got tired of grinding and my wife is working odd hours so I have to pick when I can be loud and decided to start on the front seats. Mesh Gray, no pleats

The 2/3 frame and spring were in very good shape, so I removed the rust and painted them with Rustoleum appliance epoxy black. I used burlap and hog rings directly over the springs. I went with the horsehair pad and some thin soft material over that from WW. I replaced the provided string with 18 gauge wire and made sure I had all the metal rods needed at the sharp tabs along the sides and top of the backrest. The 2 side rods I was missing were replaced with pieces of a wire hangar.

2/3 Seat - Getting the backrest cover into the slotted part was the hardest part

I worked my way from right to left. I had to place the seat on my kitchen table and compress the seat springs to get enough slack on the cover. I was able to get the right corner started. Then, I worked my way along the channel in the tube to the left pushing up from the bottom while pressing the plastic piece on the cover down and in with a screwdriver. Be very careful doing this, I kept thinking something was going to slip and everything was going to rip. The picture is at the end when i was almost done. This was the most difficult part of the whole job.

Before:

After:

Onto the drivers seat.

The 1/3 frame backrest was submerged in vinegar/water until the rust was gone and sprayed with Rattlecan Appliance epoxy black. The only problem is the parts can flash rust quickly. The 1/3 base is another story, I think i need a new one.

Backrest:

The 1/3 seat base is my problem child.

Anyone have one in good shape?

This was the second time I've ever tried recovering seats, so far its gone well. The TMI Mesh Gray covers fit great.
ryans65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 7:35 am    Post subject: Re: 1965 11 Window Sundial Project Reply with quote

Thanks for the tips on the upholstery, I am about to do the exact same to my seats.... same interior and all!

I desperately need one the seatback adjuster screws from a 1/3 seat base like yours.... I would pay you a handsome sum for the entire base or simply the two seatback adjuster screws from the base! Let me know-

-Ryan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dschup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:43 am    Post subject: Re: 1965 11 Window Sundial Project Reply with quote

No problem, let me see what happens with my seat. If I end up replacing the base, I'll let you know.
dschup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 6:45 pm    Post subject: Re: 1965 11 Window Sundial Project Reply with quote

Ryan65 - PM sent regarding the adjusters.
dschup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:34 am    Post subject: Re: 1965 11 Window Sundial Project Reply with quote

I found a 1/3 seat at the 2018 VW Spillout in San Antonio. I grabbed it about as soon as it was put on the ground to sell. It had some rust, but not nearly as bad as the rust on my original base. It came with all the hardware and I was able to help out another member with some leftover parts.

The 1/3 seat turned out really well.

KWZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:48 am    Post subject: Re: 1965 11 Window Sundial Project Reply with quote

That looks really clean. I found that my '65 camper runs much smoother since I installed the same correct pleatless seat covers...
dschup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 12:08 pm    Post subject: Re: 1965 11 Window Sundial Project Reply with quote

LOL thanks Kent.

I noticed the steering column felt loose and realized there was no rubber buffer or metal cup attached to the steering column bracket. I was able to locate one, paint it, and get everything back to being correct. Also added the knee protector.

The 1/3 seat is installed... and will make the bus stand still even smoother.

Replaced the front shocks, at least now they match. All new hardware and anti-seize.

Started removing some of the oxidized paint and fixed the gas door which had been bent from an apparent fuel theft attempt.

Before: Looks better than it really was.

After: Bad pic, looks better in person, totally straight and functional
dschup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:15 am    Post subject: Re: 1965 11 Window Sundial Project Reply with quote

So I cut out the piece of the engine shelf I needed, but the curve is different. I can force the new piece down and weld it, but I would rather try and fix it.

Any ideas to match the curve of the original piece? I was thinking of cutting a thin section out above the seal channel and welding it. Or I can leave it alone and push it into place...

easy e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:42 am    Post subject: Re: 1965 11 Window Sundial Project Reply with quote

dschup wrote:
Any ideas to match the curve of the original piece? I was thinking of cutting a thin section out above the seal channel and welding it. Or I can leave it alone and push it into place...
I'm not sure about the question you posed...
I noticed something else though... the engine compartment seal channel has square sides.
Before you weld that piece in... it might be good to put a piece of flat metal in the channel... so you can tap the flanges over.... to make it match the existing channel shape (to accept the seal).
They might tap over well enough without a piece of flat metal in there... just thought it might be easier to shape the channel with it loose?

Looking good though!
dschup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:00 am    Post subject: Re: 1965 11 Window Sundial Project Reply with quote

Thanks for reminding me about the seal channel. It's on my list to bend it into the correct shape and I meant to do it before I welded the piece in.

I was thinking of making a type relief cut in order to push the curve down, then welding in the area that was cut. This would allow the new piece match the curve of the original metal where it starts arcing upward. I'm leaving towards just pushing it into place, it isn't off by too much.
Longboardluv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 7:43 am    Post subject: Re: 1965 11 Window Sundial Project Reply with quote

any updates?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dschup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 8:38 pm    Post subject: Re: 1965 11 Window Sundial Project Reply with quote

I've been slacking on the updates, but here goes...

I restored a horn button. A little Brasso goes a long way and it helped to figure out the button comes apart.

I also redid the headlight buckets and promptly forgot to take pictures. I put them together several times before getting everything correct. One of the pictures shows the incorrect way of doing things... I used a rattle can stone grey on the buckets and headlight surrounds.

Disassembled:

Put together incorrectly:

Correctly on the bus:

Then I moved on to the deckled church key latch cover. I ordered an aftermarket correct piece and spending several hours trying to get it to fit right... Hint, its nearly impossible to bend the tabs to make the piece stay tightly in place. I came up with the following hombres solution. Im not 100% on the look, but it works.

I ordered a 1" (30mm) VW air diffuser locket from China. It took me quite a few different searches before I found this gem for $3

It came and I was surprised that it was made of metal and has a magnetic closure. I basically cut off the prongs, made a hole and safety wired it to the bus.
dschup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:06 pm    Post subject: Re: 1965 11 Window Sundial Project Reply with quote

I contacted Painters Grinding in Denver for a longblock. It looks amazing and they got the work done extremely fast. I'm way behind in welding so i can actually put it in.

Its a 1776 Singleport with a Counter Weighted crank, New Mahle P&C's, New VW AS41 case and stock cam. I have a fresh 30pict1 from Volksbitz that also looks great and will be installed. I'll have a doghouse oil cooler on as well. A vintage Speed exhaust will finish it off.

I started cleaning a Pierburg fuel pump and am waiting on the rebuild kit. The pump came with free varnish.

All clean, ready for a rebuild.
dschup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:19 pm    Post subject: Re: 1965 11 Window Sundial Project Reply with quote

The fuel pump cleaned up nicely, one less thing to do.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: