Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Front disc brake conversion
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 33, 34, 35 ... 46, 47, 48  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
55bundt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:59 am    Post subject: Re: Front disc brake conversion Reply with quote

I bought my kit from wagenswest. It's the 944 kit 5×130 pattern for 55 to 63 spindles with an adapter bolted to it for 5× 205 pattern for stock 15s. Call Nate he will set you up!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 11:49 am    Post subject: Re: Front disc brake conversion Reply with quote

crofty wrote:
62DoKaGuy wrote:
crofty wrote:
so the CSP is the only kit that works without modification on 15"VW wheels?

The SACO kit worked on stock 15" slotted bus wheels as well. No modification. For the record, it's a stock 3/4"-ton beam, although it shouldn't have an effect. Just want to make it known what setup I have.

CSP and SACO from my experience have both had great braking power, with the SACO's having the aforementioned brake "queefing" from drilled rotor. There was nothing audible on the CSPs I ran for over ten years.

Thanks for the reply guys.

I remember the SACO's having noise issues but maybe that has been remedied.

I bought mine last year, the pads tend to rattle. Not recommended.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
PIMPPRIDE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 2:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Front disc brake conversion Reply with quote

Braukuche wrote:
crofty wrote:
62DoKaGuy wrote:
crofty wrote:
so the CSP is the only kit that works without modification on 15"VW wheels?

The SACO kit worked on stock 15" slotted bus wheels as well. No modification. For the record, it's a stock 3/4"-ton beam, although it shouldn't have an effect. Just want to make it known what setup I have.

CSP and SACO from my experience have both had great braking power, with the SACO's having the aforementioned brake "queefing" from drilled rotor. There was nothing audible on the CSPs I ran for over ten years.

Thanks for the reply guys.

I remember the SACO's having noise issues but maybe that has been remedied.

I bought mine last year, the pads tend to rattle. Not recommended.

you need these anti-rattle / wear plates from Wilwood ( the SACO caliper is a loose copy of the Wilwood )

https://www.wilwood.com/Hardware/HardwareProd?itemno=300-5875

they will fix the rattle / pad chatter

Anthony / ISP WEST
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Facebook Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bruce Amacker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:12 am    Post subject: Re: Front disc brake conversion Reply with quote

I bought two of the AC kits from SoCal and installed one so far. Although Chinese, the kit is excellent quality and fits great. For detailed info and pictures see this thread:

https://www.leakoil.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4263&start=160
'66- http://www.leakoil.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=2888&sid=54d8dedfb3822f99c7f2ea430cb4e856
'65- http://leakoil.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4263
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Major Woody
Samba Enigma

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:55 am    Post subject: Re: Front disc brake conversion Reply with quote

Bruce, thanks for that overview of your installation of the AC kit.
Bummed I can't use it on my bus with stock 15s.
matthew henricks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:32 am    Post subject: Re: Front disc brake conversion Reply with quote

Nice write-up Bruce.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Z
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: Front disc brake conversion Reply with quote

Major Woody wrote:
Bruce, thanks for that overview of your installation of the AC kit.
Bummed I can't use it on my bus with stock 15s.

x2 Looks great. I hope they update it, b/c I'm not changing my wheels and would love to use this kit.
pyrOman
Fire Master

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:33 am    Post subject: Re: Front disc brake conversion Reply with quote

FWIW.... Don't know exactly just how much of a "problem" it is with the clearance issue since I did not have that with the 14" wheels. However, I personally would not have a problem grinding off both the caliper and the wheel some. Yes, they say if you "tamper" with it, there goes the warranty but after installing one I can say it would not mess up the caliper at all, and the wheels can always be re-balanced. Cool
Z
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Front disc brake conversion Reply with quote

That's good to know, thanks. From the initial pics, and the relatively small spacer that seemed to fix the clearance issue, it sure looked like it wouldn't take much clearancing.
matthew henricks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 7:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Front disc brake conversion Reply with quote

Anyone know who makes the AC Industries kit? Is that the company? I am finding it hard to find info on them from an original factory source.

thanks
tpinthepack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 3:39 am    Post subject: Re: Front disc brake conversion Reply with quote

matthew henricks wrote:
Anyone know who makes the AC Industries kit? Is that the company? I am finding it hard to find info on them from an original factory source.

thanks

AC is the company. I got my set from fisher buggies in Tampa. Tony ordered them, matched internet pricing and had them in 1 day free shipping. I would simply call any local VW vendor close to you and ask them.
1990 Vanagon DOKA
1972 Super Beetle
1979 Super Beetle Convertible
2011 Porsche Cayenne
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
matthew henricks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:59 am    Post subject: Re: Front disc brake conversion Reply with quote

Has anyone seen or have first hand info what is really required to clearance the AC Ind. kit for stock 15" rims?
tpinthepack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 4:14 am    Post subject: Re: Front disc brake conversion Reply with quote

matthew henricks wrote:
Has anyone seen or have first hand info what is really required to clearance the AC Ind. kit for stock 15" rims?

I bolted 15" bus wheels on and it would only turn front and back like 1" or less between the cutouts. I was not willing to grind either Caliper or Wheel so I don't know what is required for success, I only know what I was not willing to do. My bus is supposed to use 14", so I just swapped them. Also the weld on one 14" does scrape ever so slightly and I plan to loosen the caliper bracket and see if I can gain some room, or else I have to grind a touch on one side. I might also try another 14" wheel to see if that solves it.

I would really like to know what caliper it is, looks like a water cooled Eurovan, or Golf caliper. I would bet the OEM VW caliper AC cloned would be leaner and may not hit anything, but I am guessing. The Pads look very similar to something I have seen before, maybe on My Vanagon actually. The AC caliper casting is a little crude and bulky, so that is why I think a VW caliper could be leaner and clear better.
Not scripture, I am just a dude who has a set of these installed.
Tony
1990 Vanagon DOKA
1972 Super Beetle
1979 Super Beetle Convertible
2011 Porsche Cayenne
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bruce Amacker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 6:00 am    Post subject: Re: Front disc brake conversion Reply with quote

SoCal said the pads and cal kits fit an 89-98 Jetta. That's cal kits, not calipers, so I assume they're using a custom caliper housing that uses Jetta guts. See my link above for detailed pictures.
'66- http://www.leakoil.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=2888&sid=54d8dedfb3822f99c7f2ea430cb4e856
'65- http://leakoil.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4263
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pyrOman
Fire Master

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 12:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Front disc brake conversion Reply with quote

tpinthepack wrote:
... I plan to loosen the caliper bracket and see if I can gain some room,...

Shocked

As I stated before, iffin it was me and knowing how beefy the caliper is, I'd have no problem grinding off just enough of it. Confused
Low Bräu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 5:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Front disc brake conversion Reply with quote

If you want to use the SoCal Imports AC Industries brake kit with stock 15” non crow’s foot rims it is very easy to do. No grinding necessary or modifying the kit. Stock 15”rims need to be spaced out approximately 5mm to clear the wheel’s vents. So you need two things not included in the kit, spacers and longer wheel studs. SoCal imports sells both. Buy two 1/4” 5x205 spacers and open up the 12mm lug holes to 14mm or 9/16. Also buy 10 14x1.5 lugs that are 1/4 longer. I believe they were 1 3/4” long. It’s a very minor track increase that’s not even noticeably. Please note kit was installed on a 57 Panel with 68 ball joint front beam. My initial impression is the kit is high quality and very good value for the money. I would definitely recommend it if you want to keep 5x205 wheels.

Regards,
Josh

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

(321) 449-4665

Specializing in repair and maintenance for Porsche, BMW, Mini, Audi, and Volkswagen.

1952 Standard Beetle
1960 SO-23 Westfalia
1961 L-380 Turkis Deluxe Beetle
1985 Vanagon Country Homes Camper (work in progress - EG33 swap)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Major Woody
Samba Enigma

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 8:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Front disc brake conversion Reply with quote

Can someone with one of the AC Industries kits please measure the rotor diameter and post the measurement here? Thank you.
Low Bräu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 4:19 am    Post subject: Re: Front disc brake conversion Reply with quote

Rotor is 256mm x19mm. Caliper in pics is not a precision tool just a rough measuring device I bought at Northern tool for cheap. It’s my go to tool for ID’ing rotors. I thought the rotors looked tiny but the calipers (or really wheels) are the limiting factor. They used up all the space that was available. Either way the kit works great.

Josh

(321) 449-4665

Specializing in repair and maintenance for Porsche, BMW, Mini, Audi, and Volkswagen.

1952 Standard Beetle
1960 SO-23 Westfalia
1961 L-380 Turkis Deluxe Beetle
1985 Vanagon Country Homes Camper (work in progress - EG33 swap)

Last edited by Low Bräu on Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:46 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Major Woody
Samba Enigma

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 12:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Front disc brake conversion Reply with quote

Low Bräu wrote:
Rotor is 255mm x19mm...

So how does this compare, diameter wise, to the Babystang rotor? Wagenswest's site doesn't give the rotor diameter. The Babystang kit comes with a four piston caliper, vs what appears to be a single piston caliper on the AC kit.

The CSP kit specifically made to fit stock 15" wheels uses a 262mm rotor and a single piston caliper.

For me, I want the most powerful brakes I can get with the lowest pedal effort. I would think a four piston caliper would be preferable in that regard. On the other hand, if the Babystang kit uses a substantially smaller diameter rotor, its superior caliper might be negated by the smaller rotor.

It would be useful to get some kind of a comparison.

I don't care too much about the cost difference. I want wear parts that I can easily replace down the road without having to go back to the original supplier. Who knows if they will still be around.
matthew henricks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 5:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Front disc brake conversion Reply with quote

Has anyone ever looked into a group buy for any of these kits? I personally need three sets and cannot help but wonder if a larger order could be put together that may help all of us get better braking. Just a thought.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 33, 34, 35 ... 46, 47, 48  Next
Jump to:
Page 34 of 48

Jump to: