Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1776 baja engine setup
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
tiagurb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 4:19 pm    Post subject: 1776 baja engine setup Reply with quote

Hello,

I am looking to mount my 1776 engine from 0
One thing taking in attention is that I'm from Europe, so performance parts are prety hard to come by, and if I order something from US, I'll come by pretty hard taxes and costums.

I am thinking in starting from a AS-41 block, but I dont realy know what else should I thake in this setup

I was thinking in a double weber 40 carbs

But my greatest question is about the heads and the cam, I already looked for answer but didnt come by anything conclusive.

What wold be better to take? considering that wold be a baja for part offroading and part street runing.
Mal evolent
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 4:41 pm    Post subject: Re: 1776 baja engine setup Reply with quote

read

http://www.aircooled.net/vw-performance-engines/

and

http://www.aircooled.net/vw-carburetor-options-selection-101/

Baja Bugs for Volkswagen Virgins: Index
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 5:20 pm    Post subject: Re: 1776 baja engine setup Reply with quote

The Weber 40's would be ok for the highway but maybe not the best for off-roading but people do run them off road. As 1776cc is so small and you're needing a tractor engine in an off Roader then you're looking at Stock Valve Size for heads. Large valve heads breath so easy a small engine can't develop good manifold vacuum with them. Back in the day, the Old Porsche Zenith carbs were considered the best off Road Carb. And They in my book still are but it's difficult to find manifolds for them. Also, consider a center Mount Zenith NDIX 32-24-28 on a split runner intake manifold and full preheating. The center mount will stay cleaner where it mounts on the engine than duals. Here is a single Zenith Manifold but it is for a Single Port VW engine.
mr_bill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 4:00 pm    Post subject: Re: 1776 baja engine setup Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1776 with ZENITH 32NDIX carb & BOSCH 019 dist. with Pertronix Ignitor

"Mr Bill"
Dos Perros Motorsports
Orange, CA
1972 Class 11x/Stock Bug
'60's era "vintage" Tunnell-Buggy

"...no one here....get's out ALIVE...."

Motor = electric
Engine = internal combustion

www.facebook.com/groups/DosPerrosMotorsports
www.alrchapter132.org
www.DAV.org
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SamT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 7:47 am    Post subject: Re: 1776 baja engine setup Reply with quote

What’s your budget? Are you looking for something that’s just a little more than stock or something that really throws you back?

Right now it doesn’t cost much to build something really good vs something stock like if your starting from scratch.

As 41 case for sure.
Weber 40’s would be my choice.
I’d look at some CB Panchito 044 heads.
Probably skip the 1776 and go to 1914
Engle FK series cam based on what you do. FK8 would be a good generic recommendation.
1.5qt sump
Stock oil system.

That may be a budget buster for you. But if your not working with a donor engine stock parts aren’t cheap either.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=546712
Mr. Unpopular
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 4:24 am    Post subject: Re: 1776 baja engine setup Reply with quote

If I were building this motor, I would use single port heads, a mild cam, and dual Kadron carbs.

This motor will build quite a few more HP than stock, but also have nice torque, which is what you want for a full weight baja cruising through the woods or rocks.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:12 pm    Post subject: Re: 1776 baja engine setup Reply with quote

The recommendation for an Engle FK8 cam makes sense here in the US, but it's designed to work with higher ratio than stock rocker arms. An Engle 100 or more aggressive 110 cam would make more sense as they are designed to work with stock rockers. Also 1776 with 90.5mm cylinders makes more sense as the 94mm cylinders sometimes have interference issues with the cylinder studs. The 94mm cylinders which do not have stud issues are thinner walled in the stud area.

You MAY very well be better able to get a high performance cam and other performance engine parts from Germany, than from the USA.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: