Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Sears Circling the Drain
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jwold
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Sears Circling the Drain Reply with quote

I see Craftsman branded tools for sale now at Lowes.
Volks Wagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Sears Circling the Drain Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
True, but the guy has thrown in something like $1.6B to keep it afloat over the years, and expects SOMEthing back for his investment. Can't say I blame him.

Oh well, see how little I know? I suppose he's due something so. However, I like conspiracy theories more than fact. Very Happy

I'm definitely, probably, the worlds greatest lover.

Aithníonn ciaróg ciaróg eile.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Sears Circling the Drain Reply with quote

jwold wrote:
I see Craftsman branded tools for sale now at Lowes.

Well, since OSH had a deal with Craftsman, and Lowes owned OSH, that makes sense. Do they have the same guarantee?

Their online parts and their service centers... will those evaporate? That's key.
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Sears Circling the Drain Reply with quote

Good riddance, the tools are beyond crappy and the service has evaporated. They can all become seasonal Halloween stores with easy parking for homeless campers.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Sears Circling the Drain Reply with quote

Manfred58sc wrote:
Good riddance, the tools are beyond crappy and the service has evaporated. They can all become seasonal Halloween stores with easy parking for homeless campers.

Laughing

last crapsman socket I bought was 10+ years ago. right out of the gate it shattered as if it were made from glass. old school crapsman I could stand on a chrome socked with a 1/2" IR impact and it would last for decades.

use to be a solid company with pretty good tools...now garbage freight sells nicer shit

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
super74beetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 4:17 am    Post subject: Re: Sears Circling the Drain Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
True, but the guy has thrown in something like $1.6B to keep it afloat over the years, and expects SOMEthing back for his investment. Can't say I blame him.

Eddie Lambert is the billionaire hedge fund manager who ran Sears further into the ground. He is also it's biggest creditor and he may make a loan to Sears to keep it afloat. He's playing some type of angle. Guys like him don't usually do things like this out of kindness.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/10/16/opinion/sears-b...ctionfront
janerick3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 5:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Sears Circling the Drain Reply with quote

It wasn't that long ago when Bob Vila was hawking Craftsman tools on TV as being American made.

You go into Sears today (assuming you can find one that's still open) and you're hard-pressed to find anything with the Craftsman name that isn't made in China.

Thank you Eddie Lampert...
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Sears Circling the Drain Reply with quote

Otasco, Western Auto, and TG&Y... oh the memories

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Sears Circling the Drain Reply with quote

Around 1975 my sister had a part time job at Sears. Had benefits and retirement plan, imagine that. Sears sold rebuilt VW engines and parts too.
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Sears Circling the Drain Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
Around 1975 my sister had a part time job at Sears. Had benefits and retirement plan, imagine that. Sears sold rebuilt VW engines and parts too.
Yeah they did! I have a catalog from '66 or '67 and there is a page or 2 of parts and accessories. I'll have to post a pic.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'73 Dodge W200
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
World Series Champions 2016
KentPS wrote:
...or the PO envied the terrorists' bus in "Back to the Future". Laughing

mukluk wrote:
He's fine, just waiting for the dragon in winklepickers to move out of his lane.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Sears Circling the Drain Reply with quote

I'd be interested in seeing the 1966 one.
It looks I posted some 1966 pics in the past but no engine page.
I did post the 1966 Judson page:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Here's engines from 1970 that I posted a while back:

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:51 am    Post subject: Re: Sears Circling the Drain Reply with quote

The sad abandoned Sears standalone store (and auto center) in my hometown of Little Rock

Weirdly though, my current residential area of NW Arkansas has two or three of these Sears "Hometown" stores and they seem to be doing just fine:

1600 SP engine
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:58 am    Post subject: Re: Sears Circling the Drain Reply with quote

sb001 wrote:

It's good to see that NC isn't the only state that's subjected to the segment of the population that has more money tied up in tires & wheels than the vehicle that they're supporting. Twisted Evil

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Sears Circling the Drain Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
sb001 wrote:

It's good to see that NC isn't the only state that's subjected to the segment of the population that has more money tied up in tires & wheels than the vehicle that they're supporting. Twisted Evil

Very Happy
I'm very proud to hail from the second most dangerous city in the country.

1600 SP engine
cbeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Sears Circling the Drain Reply with quote

here is my old sears store.

ach60 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Sears Circling the Drain Reply with quote

Sears never held any luster for me.
I always view Sears as part of American Rip Off Culture.
A buddy bought a bike from sears back when we were kids,
Pulled it out of the box, aired up the tires and both blew out!
I’ve bought a lot of Craftsman tools in the 70’s & 80’s
But I was surprised to read that one of Sears biggest cost is paying Pensions.
People rally did spend their Careers working for Sears? Holy Cannoli
I found this from CNN:
Turns out Sears was once the nation's largest employer, has an estimated 100,000 retirees still eligible for benefits under the pension plans.
By comparison, the company had only 89,000 employees as of February, and many of them have since left the company because of store closing.
So basically the Bankruptcy is B.S. move Sears Owners to rip off it’s Retirees Pensions
American Rip Off Culture.at it’s Best.
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Sears Circling the Drain Reply with quote

ach60 wrote:

So basically the Bankruptcy is B.S. move Sears Owners to rip off it’s Retirees Pensions

Ever since Enron showed other companies what they could get away with...

1600 SP engine
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Sears Circling the Drain Reply with quote

sb001 wrote:
ach60 wrote:

Ever since Enron showed other companies what they could get away with...

Actually you’d have to go back to about 1985 General Electric and Jack Welch. In a year when they made record profits they looked at over funded pension plans and devised ways to capture that money for upper management retention payouts and golden parachutes. The PBGC came into being in 1974 because companies were defaulting on pensions for many different reasons including theft, workers were just fucked. ERISA act 1974 but I digress.

The book was written by Ellen Schultz a Wall St Journal investigative reporter
“ Retirement Heist” how companies plunder and profit from the nest eggs of American workers.

Read and see who is doing the screwing and who is on receiving end, truth hurts.
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Sears Circling the Drain Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:

Actually you’d have to go back to about 1985 General Electric and Jack Welch. In a year when they made record profits they looked at over funded pension plans and devised ways to capture that money for upper management retention payouts and golden parachutes. The PBGC came into being in 1974 because companies were defaulting on pensions for many different reasons including theft, workers were just fucked. ERISA act 1974 but I digress.

The book was written by Ellen Schultz a Wall St Journal investigative reporter
“ Retirement Heist” how companies plunder and profit from the nest eggs of American workers.

Read and see who is doing the screwing and who is on receiving end, truth hurts.

True but I meant companies that tried to limp on (or flat lied to everyone about profits) knowing they were going under and eventually had to file bankruptcy so debtors/ creditors took the vast amounts of the bankruptcy payout leaving employees penniless and homeless

Regarding PBGC from Wikipedia:

In fiscal year 2015, PBGC paid $5.6 billion in benefits to participants of failed single-employer pension plans. That year, 69 single-employer pension plans failed. PBGC paid $103 million in financial assistance to 57 multiemployer pension plans. The agency's deficit increased to $76 billion. It has a total of $164 billion in obligations and $88 billion in assets

Yikes Shocked

1600 SP engine
notchback
Insensitive Jerk

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 2:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Sears Circling the Drain Reply with quote

ach60 wrote:
Sears never held any luster for me.
I always view Sears as part of American Rip Off Culture.
A buddy bought a bike from sears back when we were kids,
Pulled it out of the box, aired up the tires and both blew out!
I’ve bought a lot of Craftsman tools in the 70’s & 80’s
But I was surprised to read that one of Sears biggest cost is paying Pensions.
People rally did spend their Careers working for Sears? Holy Cannoli
I found this from CNN:
Turns out Sears was once the nation's largest employer, has an estimated 100,000 retirees still eligible for benefits under the pension plans.
By comparison, the company had only 89,000 employees as of February, and many of them have since left the company because of store closing.

My mom is one of those retirees. If she loses the pension, then we have to start digging into the savings in order to pay for her assisted living place. This is when the shit gets real and hits home.

I worked for Sears through college and about a year after. Good pay at the time.

FU#3
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:
Page 9 of 11

Jump to: