Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1967 Vert and Brakes
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Taederbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:20 am    Post subject: 1967 Vert and Brakes Reply with quote

So, I am hoping to get an idea of what I can do next. I have been going through the brakes on my 1967 vert and have had not luck getting them to work. Here is exactly what I have done up to this point.

Replaced Master cylinder
Replaced All 4 wheel cylinders
Replaced all metal lines
Replaced all rubber lines

Bleed close to a pint of break fluid through the lines
With the master cylinder connected to the reservoir. I loosened the three out going lines individually (the metal lines going to the rear and the two front) until some break fluid seeped out and then tightened them back up again. I was told that this would work instead of doing a bench bleed. I even did a gravity bleed and opened the back passenger side line till brake fluid seeped out.

Problem. No matter how many time I pump the brakes it does not build up more than a small squirt of pressure. Brake fluid is coming out of all 4 bleeders but i get no pressure to activate the cylinders and engage the brakes on the front or back.

Suggestions? Thanks for any help you can give me in advance.
wayne1230cars
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:17 am    Post subject: Re: 1967 Vert and Brakes Reply with quote

Because you have replaced all the major brake components, there will be a lot of air that needs to be bled out. I’ve done this on several occasions and was successful only after I made sure that all shoes were adjusted tight to the drum. I would adjust the first shoe so that it is firmly dragging. Then I adjust the other shoe fully tight. Do this on all four wheels and then start the adjustment. The bleeding can take a while. Be patient. Make sure all your connection points are tight so that air is not being pulled back into the system.

I have used the gravity bleeding process initially. I think it helped. Do all 4 wheels.
Taederbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:11 am    Post subject: Re: 1967 Vert and Brakes Reply with quote

Thanks, I will try that this weekend. You have given me new hope! I will adjust the stars so i have drag on all 4 hubs and see if that gives me pressure?

Was so pumped after having temporarily given up on the brakes. I replaced the rubber fuel lines and put in a couple of filters, replaced the fuel pump and replaced the plugs and wires and the old bug cranked right up yesterday afternoon after having set in a garage and then a back yard since 1988. Smile
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:06 pm    Post subject: Re: 1967 Vert and Brakes Reply with quote

Taederbug wrote:

Replaced Master cylinder
Replaced All 4 wheel cylinders
Replaced all metal lines
Replaced all rubber lines

When I resurrected my 1970 VW back in late 2016, I did all that except that I re-used the existing metal lines as mine were OK.

I did bench bleed the master cylinder before installing it, and I did NOT take apart the wheel cylinders or do anything special to them. I found the bleeding part and solid pedal to be straightforward, follow the repair manual instructions.

Use gravity bleeding if need be (do an Google Search).
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:24 pm    Post subject: Re: 1967 Vert and Brakes Reply with quote

Is your pushrod/pedal stop adjusted correctly, so that there is the correct freeplay? If not, that could prevent proper fluid flow for bleeding.

To adjust (very important!):

THIS TIME ONLY: Check from the pedal tip to the bulkhead, and adjust the pedal stop. The template below shows two lengths for Bugs (pre-'69 and '69-on), and surprisingly the change does not coincide with the change to dual master ('67), so I'd go for a split of at least 8.5 Inches.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

THEN adjust the pushrod to get the right play.

IN THE FUTURE, adjust the pedal stop ONLY, and never again the rod. This ensures adequate pedal travel in case one circuit fails in your dual circuit '67.
Taederbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:24 am    Post subject: Re: 1967 Vert and Brakes Reply with quote

Awesome, Thanks, I will make that proper adjustment.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:00 am    Post subject: Re: 1967 Vert and Brakes Reply with quote

Just a note as to why this might be your problem: If there isn't a little freeplay between the rod and the piston inside the master, there are ports inside the master cylinder that are covered when they shouldn't be, preventing proper fluid flow with the pedal up. It can also cause your brakes to drag, overheating them. Fortunately, once you set it per above, it's a quick check pushing the pedal by hand, and feeling for the 1mm gap (which shows as about 10mm or so at the pedal tip).

One step I should have mentioned is to vacuum up all the dirt and crud at the pedal pivot so that doesn't throw off your settings.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: