Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Battery size for a '67 Bug other than Group 42?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
nickpace
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 9:55 pm    Post subject: Battery size for a '67 Bug other than Group 42? Reply with quote

I’ve acquired a neglected but lovely ’67 convertible from a friend on a long term use agreement. I have the garage space and VW knowhow, he doesn’t and his wife wants to get rid of what she thinks is a smelly, oily wreck. Since he doesn’t want to lose ownership, it’s now mine to use and maintain for the foreseeable future until he’s ready to sell. Fine with me. I’ve put the mechanics back into shape and it now runs great, but the battery won’t hold a charge.

So I started looking around for a replacement battery. To my surprise, all of my choices are relatively expensive. Interstate, which is Costco’s supplier these days, says that the right model is the MT-42 (Group Size 42) for $130. Auto Zone says that the right battery is a Duralast 42-DL, going for $130. Pep Boy recommends a ValueGrade Car Battery Group Size 42 for $129. O’Reilly wants to sell me a Premium Super Start Premium Group Size 42 Top Post Battery for, you guessed it, $130.

That’s silly. I just recently bought a 640 CCA Interstate battery for my 1971 VW Bus for $72 (size doesn’t matter in a Bus) and an 800 CCA Interstate battery at Costco for my 93 Caddy Deville for $92. How could the relatively small battery for a Bug, a car that seemingly needs no more that a good shove to start it, cost more than these more powerful batteries?

So my question to you folks is whether you’ve used batteries with sizes other than for group size 42 under the rear seats of Bugs of this era? I don’t need recommendations on favorite brands of batteries; I care not one whit about whether one company makes a better battery than another. What I need to know is what group sizes other than 42 have been successfully used. More sizes means more competition, and hopefully I can go back to the Auto Zones\Pep Boys\etc. of the world to see if I can find something less expensive than $130.

Thanks,

Nick in Palm Springs
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 5:26 am    Post subject: Re: Battery size for a '67 Bug other than Group 42? Reply with quote

Batteries cost a fortune these days. Something like 85% of the batteries sold in USA are made by Johnson Controls.

I use the 42 battery from Autozone.

VERY important to secure the battery to the pan, to preserve lifetime of the battery.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 5:46 am    Post subject: Re: Battery size for a '67 Bug other than Group 42? Reply with quote

nickpace wrote:
That’s silly. I just recently bought a 640 CCA Interstate battery for my 1971 VW Bus for $72 (size doesn’t matter in a Bus) and an 800 CCA Interstate battery at Costco for my 93 Caddy Deville for $92. How could the relatively small battery for a Bug, a car that seemingly needs no more that a good shove to start it, cost more than these more powerful batteries?

Supply, and demand....

Most likely your size you used for the Bus, and Caddy are still being commonly used in modern vehicles, whereas a group 42 is most likely commonly used in a 40+ year old compact car few drive daily anymore. A 71 Bus used a 42 as the “correct” battery as well. There are tires listed on Tire Rack for $65, then some for $250.

Another issue is, you’re going to “chain” retailers to buy a battery. My local Advance is easily 30%-40% HIGHER on price than the small Mom, and Pop shop a few miles down the road that just sells batteries. If you’ve done all this other work to get the car ready to sell, what’s the big deal spending an extra $30-$50 to get the correct battery with the little positive terminal cover to keep from burning down the car? If you’re using “new battery” as a selling point, and the new battery is simply the cheapest one you could find to throw in there, I would question the quality of all the other work done. A 67 Convertible is just about the most desirable from 60-78. It would be a real shame to your buddy if someone low balls his asking price a few grand because the lawn mower battery in the car was the tipping point at which the perspective buyer no longer trusted the work done.

If you have to be cheap, and can’t get the right battery, Jegs has a chart with all the dimensions.
https://www.jegs.com/Sizecharts/bcigroup.html
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:49 am    Post subject: Re: Battery size for a '67 Bug other than Group 42? Reply with quote

A group 42 is the shortest lead acid automotive battery you will find, period. There are a couple others that are close, but they won't fit the stock mounts and the terminals don't have covers that keep the seat springs from arcing on the terminals. You will have to fabricate your own mounts for anything other than group 42.

There are some shorter AGM and "racing" batteries on the market, but they are more expensive than the batteries you are quoting.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:28 am    Post subject: Re: Battery size for a '67 Bug other than Group 42? Reply with quote

Personally I’d spring for an Optima or other “drycell”. I out an Odyssey PC 925 in my 60 and it’s a great fit. Small and compact.
“...some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.” - Michael Caine
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:48 am    Post subject: Re: Battery size for a '67 Bug other than Group 42? Reply with quote

I've used a 41 in my Baja before, that's the same battery my Golf uses, it's longer but still short. (also, it's higher capacity is rather more than what most Bugs would ever need)

Now in my 62, I changed long ago to a size 26R, which is less common than it used to be. it is a little taller than the 42 but the terminals are in the right places.

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:24 am    Post subject: Re: Battery size for a '67 Bug other than Group 42? Reply with quote

Ahh yes cheap ass VW owners.. Laughing How I know the well.

I've always used a U1R lawn mower battery in my Dune Buggy.
1600 stock single port and generator..has more lights than a stock VW plus a radio and amp..

I've only replaced 1 in 10 years.. but really Think it was only because I needed one for the mower one spring day.. so pulled it out.. mowed the weeds.. and bought fresh one for Coppertub....

I disconnect it in the winter and charge it once or twice a month..

It's not the battery choice for everybody.. but.. you can pull it out.. and use it your mower too Laughing .. and take it inside the house in the winter..

You can either make/use post adapters for the battery terminals. or put eyelets on the cable.

Charging a battery when not in use is vital to its longevity.

Its about the going not the showing
Rebuilt to drive not decorate
WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:34 am    Post subject: Re: Battery size for a '67 Bug other than Group 42? Reply with quote

when buying a battery, buy the freshest one, they should have the date of manufacture tagged on them. I have seen some six months old sold as new. If that battery was not maintained regularly and frequently on a charger, it is damaged and will suffer a shorter life even if you treat it well. So look for the newest build date. Since Bug batteries may have a low turn over thru the retail chain, this is specially important!

Bug On with a fresh battery!

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
davidw99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:32 am    Post subject: Re: Battery size for a '67 Bug other than Group 42? Reply with quote

I have a Duracell Group 58 from Batteries Plus Bulbs. Same specs as the group 42 but no holes for the battery terminal protector. I have other protectors over the terminals. Can't remember what it cost but it was a bit cheaper than the Group 42.

'73 Saturn Yellow Sports Bug that has undergone a full pan off restoration. "Herbert IV."

'67 Sedan. "Bellamy." Currently being "refreshed" and recently repainted.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Battery size for a '67 Bug other than Group 42? Reply with quote

FWIW... I can't tell you the group size, but I put a larger battery in my 6V '65 for several reasons, and had to improvise a battery cover (plywood and a tire inner tube) to avoid shorting on the seat springs.
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Battery size for a '67 Bug other than Group 42? Reply with quote

I think a lot of people have improvised that sort of thing over the years. Sheets of plastic, chunks of old tire inner tubes, plywood... I've seen many.

I don't know if it would prevent battery shorting, but to prevent "horse-hair precipitation" I've gone and sprayed rubberized undercoating on the underside of my bugs' back seats. It is to seal in the padding, but you can't do it without coating the metal springs as well.

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 4:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Battery size for a '67 Bug other than Group 42? Reply with quote

A friends Bug caught fire cause of the battery connecting to the seat metal! seat was yanked out on fire, seat bottom shot, a bit of damage to other interior bits, but the important thing, the Bug lived! But only do to quick action after the fire started. Other Bugs have not been so lucky, total losses. Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

Always make sure the battery posts are safely isolated The springs bend down closer to the terminal when weight is placed on the seat. So even if you think there is plenty of space above the terminal, get it insulated well, make sure the insulator can withstand vibration, abrasion, and pressure of a steel seat spring rubbing with a good deal of force on the Terminal.
A plastic bag, soft vinyl sheet, old shower curtain, bubble pack or cardboard, etc..won't cut it for long! Some strong plastic gallon bottles could be cut up as a source of tough plastic sheet, like a Prestone bottle, thats pretty tough, more than one layer could be used Milk,or bleach bottles usually are not as tough as a Prestone bottle. 5 qt oil bottles also are tough. Some pain thinners are also sold in tough plastc gallons, as are some clothes detergents.

Rubber floor mats are another good source of tough plastic.

Lots of plastic these days, and to think just 100 years ago almost none of this plastic existed. Boy how things change, heck 100 years ago, horses still provided much transport.
No Bugs back then, the past must have sucked Crying or Very sad

Also speaking of fire safety, see link below on safety wires and engine fires!

Bug On, Fully Charged!

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 5:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Battery size for a '67 Bug other than Group 42? Reply with quote

Even with my shop discount, I am paying over $100 for most type 42 batteries. It is what it is....
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 5:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Battery size for a '67 Bug other than Group 42? Reply with quote

andk5591 wrote:
Even with my shop discount, I am paying over $100 for most type 42 batteries. It is what it is....

The price increase might have to do with the closing of the last big lead smelter in the US a while ago. the price is crazy. I used to pay 35 bucks for a battery, shocks were $4.99 each at Sears when I started driving.

Bug On!

nickpace
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Battery size for a '67 Bug other than Group 42? Reply with quote

Good advice from you all. It's very helpful to know that the Group 42 prices I've run into of late aren't aberrations but in fact represent current market prices. I was hoping for something along the lines of "nobody buys a group 42; waaaay overpriced. Essentially the exact same sized battery can be had for a fraction of a group 42 simply by asking your FLAPS for a battery that will fit a 1999 Geo Metro." Alas, that didn't happen. My hope was based on the fact that group 42 is the recommended size for my 1971 Bus, but I'm pretty sure I could get a battery intended for a John Deere 9620R tractor into the right side of my engine compartment and still have enough room for a couple backup bottles of Castrol tucked away here and there. It sounds like the space underneath the backseat of a '67 Bug is too tight to have any obvious options that don’t have fire and electrical implications.

Quick response to the poster who expressed surprise that I'd worry about spending $130 or so for a Bug that has a current market value that would swamp the size of such an expenditure. The thing to remember is that the Bug isn't for sale now and it won't be until either my friend or I kick the bucket. If every part or service decision I made was based on a presumption that I could get the money back when my Bus or this Bug is sold to the highest bidder, my vehicles would have gold-plated fan pulleys, ostrich skin steering wheel covers, and the finest Turkish carpets lining the floorboards. But Type I and II VWs are practical machines, and I try to be practical as well. If I can buy a battery for $80 that works as well as one that’s $130, I’m a very happy camper.

Nick in Palm Springs
runamoc Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 5:25 am    Post subject: Re: Battery size for a '67 Bug other than Group 42? Reply with quote

My first battery was a 12v forklift battery that measured 10" X 10" X 2' mounted in the rear 'luggage' compartment under the rear window. Had 1" strain relief conduit fittings drilled in the bottom of the shelf with 2/0 welding cable passing thru to the starter and transaxle. It had max reserve power, to say the least. Cool
VW Wiring = It's just wires
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 5:35 am    Post subject: Re: Battery size for a '67 Bug other than Group 42? Reply with quote

nickpace wrote:
Quick response to the poster who expressed surprise that I'd worry about spending $130 or so for a Bug that has a current market value that would swamp the size of such an expenditure. The thing to remember is that the Bug isn't for sale now and it won't be until either my friend or I kick the bucket. If every part or service decision I made was based on a presumption that I could get the money back when my Bus or this Bug is sold to the highest bidder, my vehicles would have gold-plated fan pulleys, ostrich skin steering wheel covers, and the finest Turkish carpets lining the floorboards. But Type I and II VWs are practical machines, and I try to be practical as well. If I can buy a battery for $80 that works as well as one that’s $130, I’m a very happy camper.

Nick in Palm Springs

I’m guessing this is directed at me... If you think the addition of fancy pulley’s, exotic steering wheel covers, and fancy carpet is going to increase the value of the car, you’re missing the point. It’s not necessarily what parts are added to increase value, or get back out what was spent, more along the lines of what is used as a replacement that will not detract from the value. With few exceptions, these vehicles are at their highest value when presented as 100% factory appearing. Painting a car a non-factory outrageous color, installing a huge stereo system, and chroming up a stock engine is a sure fire way to piss away any value the vehicle had.

I was under the assumption the vehicle would be for sale soon. If it isn’t going to be sold until it is inherited after death, that’s all the more reason to use the highest quality parts for upkeep. I’ve lost count how many cars I’ve looked at that were being sold by someone after a death in the family, in some cases the family left behind was in desperate need of the money, only to get poor value on their sale because “Grandad did the last paint job with a roller with paint from Home Depot”. Good luck on your battery search.
runamoc Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:07 am    Post subject: Re: Battery size for a '67 Bug other than Group 42? Reply with quote

Quote:
inherited after death

"Son, I didn't get to drive Grandpa's Bug until after he died. I hope that answers your question." Cool
VW Wiring = It's just wires
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:52 am    Post subject: Re: Battery size for a '67 Bug other than Group 42? Reply with quote

Batteries Plus lists a Group 42 for about $115 or so, and I just saw they have 10% off at the moment. I am sure pricing varies by location.

I bought one of these a few years ago (they were only place in town that had one in stock and I couldn't wait). Maybe they are better today, BUT, the top of the battery is always damp. I wipe it down and in a couple of weeks the top is damp again.

I used this one in my buggy and I got good service out of it, but I would have probably replaced it long ago had I put in under the seat in one of the cars and found it always wet.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
60BeetleBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:04 am    Post subject: Re: Battery size for a '67 Bug other than Group 42? Reply with quote

I don't know if it would prevent battery shorting, but to prevent "horse-hair precipitation" I've gone and sprayed rubberized undercoating on the underside of my bugs' back seats. It is to seal in the padding, but you can't do it without coating the metal springs as well.[/quote]

The hair collecting under the back seat drives me crazy also. To remedy this I've taken an old sheet and hot glue gunned it to the bottom side and trimmed the excess. You can't see it at all when the seat bottom is installed. Works great!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: