Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

automatic stick shift output seal replacement
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
cliffrun2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:57 pm    Post subject: automatic stick shift output seal replacement Reply with quote

I have a 71 Super w/auto-stick. It leaked gear oil on both sides at the output (where the axles connects to the transmission). I received a few quotes but they were pretty steep so I am considering a DIY for the experience and save $. I haven't had any success finding instructions on the internet or in the maintenance manuals.

Does anyone have information or reference that could guide me on how to do it and the required tools.

Thanks.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:31 pm    Post subject: Re: automatic stick shift output seal replacement Reply with quote

Hello cliffrun!
You might contact justin1958 here on the samba, he posted here not too long ago about having to do the same job:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

I linked him in that thead to another thread on the topic over at www.vwar.org (that's the VW autostick site) that discussed part numbers and a bit of info on doing the job. Here is that thread in case it may help:

http://vwar.org/forum/index.php?topic=1731.msg12943#msg12943

Good luck

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor
cliffrun2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:36 am    Post subject: Re: automatic stick shift output seal replacement Reply with quote

Thanks. I will reach out to Justin1958 to see if we can have a conversation on the subject and what was his resolution.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:41 am    Post subject: Re: automatic stick shift output seal replacement Reply with quote

cliffrun2 wrote:
Thanks. I will reach out to Justin1958 to see if we can have a conversation on the subject and what was his resolution.

Keep us posted!
The day will probably come when I have to do that job myself, so I am depending on you guys to do it first and iron out all the kinks Razz

1600 SP engine
cliffrun2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 5:29 pm    Post subject: Re: automatic stick shift output seal replacement Reply with quote

I am more than willing to share information/knowledge. I was out of town all week, so as time permits I will get to the task at hand. Justin has given me homework Very Happy , so when I begin we will be in close contact.
cliffrun2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 9:06 pm    Post subject: Re: automatic stick shift output seal replacement Reply with quote

Hi. Just to follow-up or rather update. Justin was a great helping I have removed the end caps and seals. I am only working in my spare time so its taking longer than expected. Also, I want to make sure I clean up the mess under there. Removing the retention clip that keeps the drive flange was the biggest challenge but I was victorious Very Happy . The parts are cleaned and ready to be installed, however, the plastic piece between the drive flange and the transmission case is damaged and I'd like to replace if I can find a good ones. I placed a Want to Buy post in the classified section.

Here are some pictures of the process

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 12:42 am    Post subject: Re: automatic stick shift output seal replacement Reply with quote

I think there is a member on here that can 3D print parts. Might try finding that person. Wish my memory was better.

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
cliffrun2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 5:58 pm    Post subject: Re: automatic stick shift output seal replacement Reply with quote

We had a few warm days on the east coast so I scurried in the garage to finish the project. I won't get into the details but will say it was not easy, but very do-able. I thought I was done with all the mess after I completed the teardown, but repacking the CV's was really messy. I got grease everywhere on everything Sad , but in the end, I got it done with the expected outcome, no leaks Very Happy .

Thanks to everyone for advice along the way.

I chose not to delay the process trying to find those deterioated plastic locking plates because they don't impact the functionality of the other parts.
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 7:09 pm    Post subject: Re: automatic stick shift output seal replacement Reply with quote

Nice work. Where did you find the replacement plastic flange?

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
cliffrun2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 5:57 am    Post subject: Re: automatic stick shift output seal replacement Reply with quote

I didn’t find any, what you see is the original, just cleaned up. I spoke to some people who have pressed metal rather than the plastic.
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:53 am    Post subject: Re: automatic stick shift output seal replacement Reply with quote

Nice job, and thanks for the photos too pictures are worth a zillion words to me for whenever I have to do this job. In fact mine are probably leaking as well right now but ehhh it can wait until spring/ summer Very Happy

1600 SP engine
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:56 am    Post subject: Re: automatic stick shift output seal replacement Reply with quote

also I'm not at all familiar with the workings of the CV axle joint there- what is the purpose of that plastic piece? Does it just act as a seal?

1600 SP engine
cliffrun2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:44 pm    Post subject: Re: automatic stick shift output seal replacement Reply with quote

I was told they are called locking plates, but there isn't anything to "lock". As far as I can tell it isolates (protects) the seal from dirt and grime.
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 2:31 am    Post subject: Re: automatic stick shift output seal replacement Reply with quote

They are to prevent the screw-in bearing support from unscrewing.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: