Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The coolest 911 ever?
Forum Index -> Porsche - 911/912/914 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gurn Blanston
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 12:49 am    Post subject: The coolest 911 ever? Reply with quote

Link

I know that the 1970 911S he used in France during filming is often confused for the 1969 911S in the same color he already owned back home, but I never get tired of watching this film.

Last edited by Gurn Blanston on Fri Oct 05, 2018 1:03 am; edited 1 time in total
Gurn Blanston
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 1:02 am    Post subject: Re: The coolest 911 ever? Reply with quote

Colors mean something.

My late father was a manager at a Porsche dealership in the '70s. Reuben Roth's Porsche-Audi store on Portland Road in Salem. I grew up around these cars. When I was 13, my late father taught me how to drive...in a brand-new 930 Turbo off the lot, one of the first ones in the country, with a dealer plate hanging off the back.

My father passed in 2015, and when I ordered my new 2016 Porsche late in 2015, I ordered in in Guard's Red, the same color as the 930 Turbo that he taught me to drive in 40 years prior.
79SuperVert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 12:11 pm    Post subject: Re: The coolest 911 ever? Reply with quote

That is a great movie, and the back story to it is fascinating as well because of McQueen's obsession with making the movie. The back story was made into a documentary. I think if you like Le Mans racing and don't want a lot of window dressing the movie and the documentary are just the ticket.

Wanted: Art Collins VW (Savannah, Georgia) items - license plate surrounds and other items. Also ivory "AM", "FM" and "SW" buttons for a US Blaupunkt Frankfurt.
Gurn Blanston
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 12:56 pm    Post subject: Re: The coolest 911 ever? Reply with quote

I read a book about it, and it was pretty interesting. It included photos of the "Porschola", the "Lolari", the Porsche 908 with the camera built into/onto it's nose, camera rigs, and stuff like that. Lots of stuff from his son Chad. McQueen reportedly owned the number 20 Porsche 917 in the film.

McQueen also bank-rolled Bruce Brown's 1971 documentary "On Any Sunday", which was a historically significant film in that it helped repair a false perspective that the general public had held on motorcycling for nearly 25 years, following some highly fictionalized media coverage of the Hollister riots back in '47.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 5:19 pm    Post subject: Re: The coolest 911 ever? Reply with quote

An article pre-release in Motor Trend June 1971

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Gurn Blanston
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 8:15 pm    Post subject: Re: The coolest 911 ever? Reply with quote

Thanks for sharing. A lot of good information in that artiçle.

The "#20" car that crashed was not a Porsche 917, nor was it driven by Steve Mcqueen. It wasn't even a Porsche at all- it was a Lola, dressed up as the the real #20 917. The real #20 917 was owned by Mcqueen, and was was seen in other scenes. The "Porschola" was unmanned, with the throttle wired open, when it was intentionally crashed for the film. In the slo-mo sequence, you can clearly see the Lola's yellow paint and even part of the Lola's racing numbers, peeking out from under it's 917 disguise, as well as the rear tires that continue to spin and smoke after the crash, because there was no driver at the wheel to let off the throttle.
Gurn Blanston
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 10:15 pm    Post subject: Re: The coolest 911 ever? Reply with quote

Here's a link to an article showing the "Porschola" after the crash. Note the rear tires blown out from tire spin, the Lola's different paint color, and the Lola's racing numbers peeking out from below the "#20 917" disguise.

https://www.welt.de/motor/article155292752/Mein-Freund-Steve-McQueen-und-das-weltbeste-Auto.html
Gurn Blanston
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 10:23 pm    Post subject: Re: The coolest 911 ever? Reply with quote

The reason that Enzo Ferrari refused to loan any Ferrari race cars to Solar Productions, was because the script had Porsche winning the race ahead of the Ferraris.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 10:30 pm    Post subject: Re: The coolest 911 ever? Reply with quote

Yup, second to last paragraph in column 1 of page 99 in the article.
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 11:39 am    Post subject: Re: The coolest 911 ever? Reply with quote

Too bad they forgot to make an actual movie around the racing footage...

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor
Gurn Blanston
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 2:33 pm    Post subject: Re: The coolest 911 ever? Reply with quote

I think it's a great film.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 4:15 pm    Post subject: Re: The coolest 911 ever? Reply with quote

I think it's the best racing film (followed perhaps by Grand Prix), without question. With it's incidental plot, I'm not sure I'd call it a great film, but the racing and feel is so genuine it just doesn't matter. It's one several "flypaper" movies... even with Tivo, if I am channel flipping and it's on, I have to stop and watch it to the end!
Gurn Blanston
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:58 pm    Post subject: Re: The coolest 911 ever? Reply with quote

I hear you, but I stand by my original comment- I think it's a great film.

It's also a fun one to show to people who've never seen it before, because it's nearly 40 minutes into the film before the first dialogue starts.
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:40 pm    Post subject: Re: The coolest 911 ever? Reply with quote

Coolest Porsche I ever saw was a `71 911 with flared fenders and "Dullies" all around. Avon tires (8 of them) rated 190 MPH. He said it could turn on a Dime at high speed and looked it.
Gurn Blanston
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:13 am    Post subject: Re: The coolest 911 ever? Reply with quote

Starbucket wrote:
Coolest Porsche I ever saw was a `71 911 with flared fenders and "Dullies" all around. Avon tires (8 of them) rated 190 MPH. He said it could turn on a Dime at high speed and looked it.

Are you drunk? Shocked
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:30 pm    Post subject: Re: The coolest 911 ever? Reply with quote

Singer 100th

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Goluscombe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2018 6:39 am    Post subject: Re: The coolest 911 ever? Reply with quote

I wonder what the paint color was on this tremendous Singer. It shows off the curves beautifully.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2018 2:14 pm    Post subject: Re: The coolest 911 ever? Reply with quote

Looks like metallic dark gray with Silver Morano in it and a LOT of clear coat.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Porsche - 911/912/914 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: