Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Unrestored '56 Oval in bits - what should I do?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
nic_
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 11:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Unrestored '56 Oval in bits - what should I do? Reply with quote

Thanks for the feedback and thoughts everyone!
I'm definitely leaning towards no paint for now - however I need to assess how much the new heater channels will impact that decision!

Next task (after fixing the fuel line issue) is to get stuck in to the seats and see if I can bring them back. Smile
mabbo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 1:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Unrestored '56 Oval in bits - what should I do? Reply with quote

Cool car Smile If it was mine, I would 100% keep the paint and interior just the way it is... Id go through all the mechanical parts like you have, and do a sympathetic resto keeping as much original as possible.

They only original once Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nic_
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Unrestored '56 Oval in bits - what should I do? Reply with quote

A brief update! I've been spending a lot of time out on the car (relative to a slow few months at the start of the year at least!), but mostly sorting and cleaning the various non-engine related parts that have been boxed up for years.

I got my fuel lines sorted by re-installing and just being super careful with the ferrule bits, and also a once-over on the carb (thanks EverettB). Crankshaft pulley was fixed with a bit of percussive maintenance (which scared me, but my mechanic said it would be fine!), so I've got the muffler on and it's running wonderfully...

Link

The last few Friday's have been spent completely stripping the body and panels ready for channels to be replaced, and then blasted and painted (after many family 'conversations' and opinions from friends, I think I'm going with painting it - it's just a little too patina'd to look good I think)...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Insides...

And customary plate shot...

Getting there! It's mid-winter here, so with a bit of luck and some days off I may be on the road for summer. Very Happy
joey1320
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 4:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Unrestored '56 Oval in bits - what should I do? Reply with quote

Great work on that pan and engine.
What color are you going with?
nic_
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Unrestored '56 Oval in bits - what should I do? Reply with quote

I'm going with Strato Silver.

I'm pretty sure it was originally Horizon Blue - although it does look a little dark now to have originally been that. It's an Australian delivery CKD, so no colour on the birth certificate. I love the look of Strato Silver so even though it might not be 100% correct I'd rather have a colour that makes me happy. Smile
joey1320
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Unrestored '56 Oval in bits - what should I do? Reply with quote

nic_ wrote:
I'm going with Strato Silver.

I'm pretty sure it was originally Horizon Blue - although it does look a little dark now to have originally been that. It's an Australian delivery CKD, so no colour on the birth certificate. I love the look of Strato Silver so even though it might not be 100% correct I'd rather have a colour that makes me happy. Smile

That's the color I'm going with too for mine.
Amazing color.
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 5:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Unrestored '56 Oval in bits - what should I do? Reply with quote

You got the engine running like a good watch, and looking excellent.

Since you've decided to undent and paint the body, did the many small dents in the roof give you problems? Were you able to bang them out from the inside, or pull them up from the outside using a stud gun?

Strato silver- a lovely color.

Also, I hope you kept that remnant of firewall insulation, removing it carefully. German-built Beetles used that type of insulation pattern only for the '56 model year, and best I know nobody makes any type of a repro material with that "corduroy" look. Hopefully you can get creative and find a material based on your remnant, to give another correct appearance to your body revival.

As to the seats, I'm sure they'll look presentable after a good cleaning. The small wear holes in the front seat- how about carefully removing the cover, finding some dark blue vinyl with a similar grain, cutting out a small section of the new vinyl such as the size of a business card, and gluing it onto the backside of the original cover with contact cement so that the wear hole is not as visible? That way you are keeping the original covers but they won't have a "neglected" look compared to just keeping the wear holes untouched.
nic_
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:20 am    Post subject: Re: Unrestored '56 Oval in bits - what should I do? Reply with quote

I’ve been getting new channels welded in over the past few weeks, and while it was in there all the panel work has been done. It’s getting sandblasted at the moment so will see how it’s all turned out in the next week or so.

I’ve got the firewall material (nothing has been thrown out yet!) but it’s obviously not usable. Thanks for the heads up on the pattern - I’ll add it to the list of things to do!

I’m still unsure on whether the seats will need recovering or not. I’ll see how they clean up, but given everything else is going to be so polished I’m worried it may be a little underwhelming if the original vinyl is too tattered.

More photos soon. Can’t wait to see the Strato Silver in the metal!
nic_
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 5:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Unrestored '56 Oval in bits - what should I do? Reply with quote

Due for an update! Body work has all been done - new channels, a chunk of new roof, and a fix on a shoddy old front quarter repair job...

And Strato Silver time!

ConcreteAce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 10:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Unrestored '56 Oval in bits - what should I do? Reply with quote

Body looks Awesome, glad you decided to paint it, I love shiny cars personally

'51 Deluxe
'61 Build
'68 Turbo Diesel Baja
'64 Ghia Vert
'61 Baja Build
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 3:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Unrestored '56 Oval in bits - what should I do? Reply with quote

And to think you were once considering selling Wink Laughing

Look great! Now the fun stuff Cool

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Stetoppingphoto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 5:18 am    Post subject: Re: Unrestored '56 Oval in bits - what should I do? Reply with quote

Beautiful
motofly196
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 2:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Unrestored '56 Oval in bits - what should I do? Reply with quote

Have you had time to start the reassembly? I can't wait to see this one together! Beautiful paint job!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
laneven28
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 2:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Unrestored '56 Oval in bits - what should I do? Reply with quote

That turned out great! Love that color!
1956 Iris Blue Convertible
1958 Pearl White Lowlight KG Convertible
1961 Turkis Ragtop
nic_
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2019 8:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Unrestored '56 Oval in bits - what should I do? Reply with quote

Wow it's been a while! I spent three months out of the country from July to October, so not a huge amount to update, but figured I'd share a few photos of the body assembled and back home. It's literally just "putting it all back together" now, and hopefully I'll find a few days over Christmas to get things wrapped up. Although everything seems to take a little longer than expected!

tomsbuggered
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2019 11:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Unrestored '56 Oval in bits - what should I do? Reply with quote

Wow, that is beautiful. So glad you decided to keep it!

I have a 56 home in Canada, that I will work on when we return from our current visit in Australia.

There are some very nice VW's in NSW that i've seen and I am frothing to get home after New Year and tie into my Oval project again.

BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 12:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Unrestored '56 Oval in bits - what should I do? Reply with quote

Nice work on your Oval! It's very rewarding to catch that first glimpse of your new paint job. Have fun re-assembling it, take your time! Don't rush and scratch something!!!

Bill
'55 OG paint Deluxe Sunroof
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Stetoppingphoto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 10:12 am    Post subject: Re: Unrestored '56 Oval in bits - what should I do? Reply with quote

She looks beautiful
my59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 4:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Unrestored '56 Oval in bits - what should I do? Reply with quote

That is a nice progress progression!
If the seats are not too crispy and the stitching holes not ripped out, I'd be looking at getting them re-stitched. Once apart, they should clean up if not sun damaged. The original stitching will gradually come apart as the fibers age and cannot take the tension. If you clean the seats, the stitching gets affected by the cleaning materials as well.
nic_
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Unrestored '56 Oval in bits - what should I do? Reply with quote

Seats are already recovered. Given it's all new carpet and headlining it just felt like old seats wouldn't work. They look brilliant, I'll grab a photo when I'm out working on it on Friday.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: