Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

72 front bumper connection
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:35 pm    Post subject: 72 front bumper connection Reply with quote

There are 4 captured nuts (2 on each side)under the cab door threshold that the bumper bolts thread into. When I removed my front bumper one nut broke loose. They are attached, welded i assume, inside the cavity. How on the hell do i fix this?

Window seals allowed water in. It rusted thru the bottom of the door and then the threshold. Filled the cavity and rusted the nuts. My take on this ugliness.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

70Crew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:42 pm    Post subject: Re: 72 front bumper connection Reply with quote

I had to do a similar repair. Google “rivnut”.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:43 pm    Post subject: Re: 72 front bumper connection Reply with quote

If you don't want to open up the dog leg or inner skin you can hole saw that out, weld a new nut on the part you cut out (or a new piece) and weld the "hole" back in.

Or put a Riv-nut in there, not nearly as good a repair but I don't know your personal level of "good enough".

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:48 pm    Post subject: Re: 72 front bumper connection Reply with quote

My 1st thought to cut it out. That way i could get a tiny look at the inside rust and cleaning and coverting and coating in there.

I was thinking cutting the side, but i like the hole saw idea.
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:35 am    Post subject: Re: 72 front bumper connection Reply with quote

I've installed a lot of rivnuts but I don't think they are the right way to go for mounting a bumper. They rely on the body being squeezed and when you put a lot of torque on them they can spin. A bumper is too heavy and hanging out on the end of an arm. I think you'll need a weld repair to do this right. Pictured is the tool and 6mm rivnuts. You'd need 10mm rivnuts I think and most likely a different tool because hand squeezing a big rivnut takes a lot of force

Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:41 am    Post subject: Re: 72 front bumper connection Reply with quote

That looks like the side step mount to me from here, so 8mm bolts. But if you are set up for welding already it's best to cut it open and replace the nut.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:27 am    Post subject: Re: 72 front bumper connection Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
That looks like the side step mount to me from here, so 8mm bolts. But if you are set up for welding already it's best to cut it open and replace the nut.

Yes, I am set up to weld. And you are correct, it would hold the step. And it is the nut on the end of the bumper tip, so there is nothing else out there to help hold it all up.

Not the best welder and I do hate welding up or upside down. But I can give it a go.

I have some hole saws, but they are probably best used on wood. So I probably need to get a tuffer one.
malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:46 am    Post subject: Re: 72 front bumper connection Reply with quote

Lots of 5 star reviews on this one. Many from Car People. Looks like you can apply much more force with the longer handles. I will read up on it. Truthfully, I could do this 1st. If it ever failed, I could go the welding route.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073VK3B7S/ref=pd_luc_rh...merReviews
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:54 am    Post subject: Re: 72 front bumper connection Reply with quote

Yes, much better. Since it's only the 8mm bumper side support bolts I think the rivnut would work. The weight of the bumper itself is not supported by these so I'd give it a try.

The greatest majority of the rivnuts I install are for the pedal pan so you might want to use it there too.
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:34 pm    Post subject: Re: 72 front bumper connection Reply with quote

maybe I'll buy that rig but add the $20 set of SS nuts.
mikewire
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:57 pm    Post subject: Re: 72 front bumper connection Reply with quote

Interesting timing on this post...I'm about to mount my rear bumper (and hitch) with the same issue - the captive nuts in the frame gave way and there's no way to mount the right (passenger) side into the frame, short of opening the frame up. My Bus is also a 1972.

I'll be using that exact rivnut tool from Amazon, but with stainless steel rivnuts, (M10 x 1.5) with bolts, and lock washers.

I have most of it layed out, ready to go...and I am going to produce some content on this bit of work for a YouTube channel I've created for documenting working progress on my Bus.

Please post up your progress, and when I have mine done, I'd be glad to share it with you and the group here.

BTW, on the regards of safety and rivnuts...I'm not planning on towing anything with my hitch setup, and if anyone were to hit the bumper with any modern vehicle at a moderate rate of speed, it's not going to help much. As far as I'm concerned, this is pretty much just a cosmetic appearance repair. I'm interested in hearing others thoughts (and other possible solutions) too.

@countdowngarage
@bigskyeuro

1972 VW Kombi 9 Passenger Deluxe w/ 2.0L F.I. VWAC swap
1965 VW Beetle Deluxe Bahama Blue
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Twitter Instagram Classifieds Feedback
malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 3:44 pm    Post subject: Re: 72 front bumper connection Reply with quote

A bit of an update. As much as I liked the idea of using a hole saw to cut the hole out, weld the nut in then replace it.... I now see how they really beefed up the nut bracket. Not sure what the very best way would be to repair but it might include some cutting out from the top and actually welding the a fresh nut back in. Oh well, RivNut tool is on the way and I am doing it that way.

But here is some of my cutting today. Gives you a view inside. Truthfully the Riv nut wedged on the bracket and the dogleg should be a nice and tight sandwich.

mikewire
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:08 am    Post subject: Re: 72 front bumper connection Reply with quote

Nice! Great picture of the inside dogleg; shows exactly what you're dealing with. I'm sure there's others (present and future) with the exact situation.

Please keep us updated with your progress!

@countdowngarage
@bigskyeuro

1972 VW Kombi 9 Passenger Deluxe w/ 2.0L F.I. VWAC swap
1965 VW Beetle Deluxe Bahama Blue
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Twitter Instagram Classifieds Feedback
malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 7:27 pm    Post subject: Re: 72 front bumper connection Reply with quote

Used a stainless steel one. Still need to do some top coat painting under the driver and in the wheel well, but I think this will do it.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: