Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

dash display bulbs ????
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 4:52 pm    Post subject: dash display bulbs ???? Reply with quote

While waiting on my RUST CONVERTER to convert, I started pulling the dash.

I decided to destroy the little pins that hold the vent controls. Seems like what most folks do.

Then I got the gauges out and started checking bulbs. The 914 BBS guys have taught me that the G light must remain incandescent. On the 914 the bulb actually helps start the charging process. LED will not pull enough amps, or something like that.

I have a box of LED bulbs to change. I changed the back lighting, the Bright and Parking indicators. But that is it.

Anyone go with all LED?
babysnakes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 5:10 pm    Post subject: Re: dash display bulbs ???? Reply with quote

I have not, but the general consensus is the G light remains incandescent. LED for the rest.
Hikelite
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 5:35 pm    Post subject: Re: dash display bulbs ???? Reply with quote

I think the real problem with an LED is it won't dim correctly.

I can't find it, but I was just reading a post Telford made saying you can put an resistor in series with the LED to provide the load that the alternator needs. He didn't recommend it per se, but said it could be done.

If you have a T1 motor with an alternator, and only use that light to indicate the presence of the fan belt, then you could go all LED in theory.

My 1968 Campmobile
kreemoweet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:29 pm    Post subject: Re: dash display bulbs ???? Reply with quote

Hikelite wrote:
I was just reading a post Telford made saying you can put an resistor in series with the LED to provide the load that the alternator needs.

Pretty sure that would be "in parallel" rather than "in series". To provide the current the alternator needs to start charging, not the "load". No doubt the LED lamp already has
a resistor in series, otherwise it would burn up with battery voltage applied to it.

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:52 am    Post subject: Re: dash display bulbs ???? Reply with quote

Hikelite wrote:
I think the real problem with an LED is it won't dim correctly.

All 3 of my 914 gauges are back-lit with LED bulbs. I don't have an issue adjusting the brightness. They all work.
telford dorr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:43 am    Post subject: Re: dash display bulbs ???? Reply with quote

A resistor paralleled with an LED dash lamp will allow enough current to flow to the alternator to start properly. The stock bulb (N17 751 2) is a 12 volt, 1.2 watt lamp. This means that it has an operating resistance of 120 ohms. I'd use a 100 ohm, 2 watt resistor (Frys, Mouser, Digikey, etc.) paralleled with the LED (a little extra current won't hurt).

Yes, LEDs are dimmable, but you can't do it successfully by adding resistance. You do it by using pulse width modulation (turning the LED on and off electronically really fast such that you can't see the flicker). You can buy dimmer controls using this technique on Amazon.

Here's a link to my dash light LED conversion.
When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. The pain is only felt by others.
Same thing happens when you're stupid. - Philippe Geluck
More VW electrical at http://telforddorr.com/ (available 9am to 9pm PST)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mikedjames
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:21 am    Post subject: Re: dash display bulbs ???? Reply with quote

The other thing the G light does is come on when the battery positive or negative falls off and the alternator or generator is producing a too-high voltage.

For that you need a filament bulb, as the current flows the other way through the bulb to the usual generator/alternator not outputting enough voltage scenario.

The LED would stay off while any electronics in your bus is being fried.

1974 VW T2 : Devon Eurovette camper with 1641 DP T1 engine, Progressive carb, full flow oil cooler, EDIS crank timed ignition.
Engine 1: 40k miles (rocker shaft clip fell off), Engine 2: 30k miles (rebuild, dropped valve). Engine 3: a JK Preservation Parts "new" engine, aluminium case: 26k miles: new top end.
Gearbox rebuild 2021 by Bears.

1979 Westerly GK24 24 foot racer/cruiser yacht Forethought of Gosport.
1973 wooden Pacer sailing dinghy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:14 am    Post subject: Re: dash display bulbs ???? Reply with quote

How long is your Charge Light ever on? A few seconds every time you drive you rig. There aren't any great savings on changing it out and for the vast majority of time the amount and color of the light isn't going to make any difference to the appearance of your dash as the light just isn't on enough to matter.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: