Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

AAZ Engine Mount
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Christopholi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:48 pm    Post subject: AAZ Engine Mount Reply with quote

Hi all,

I have recently picked up a new-to-me 87 Syncro with an AAZ conversion already done. We are fixing up a few things here and there, and one of the issues is that it has a broken engine mount. I have pictured it below, and pretty sure it is this one:

https://www.motor-doctor.co.uk/products/8536137-holder-engine-mounting

It appears to be used in several Audis and Passats, but I am having trouble finding a local dealer.

Would I be able to simply replace both mounts with something available in North America, perhaps something hydraulic? What would be the considerations for this?

Thanks in advance.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 4:02 am    Post subject: Re: AAZ Engine Mount Reply with quote

That does not look like a vanagon diesel mount that to me. It does look similar to a mount used in vw dashers and early audis. Easiest fix would be to replace with the same mount. OE mounts sometimes had the part number molded into them. It might be worth pulling one out and cleaning it up. It looks similar to the link you posted. When I get to work I can look up the early Dasher and Audi number. I don't think you will find a hydraulic mount that will drop in place.

Edit: it looks like it is installed upside down from memory.
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 5:18 am    Post subject: Re: AAZ Engine Mount Reply with quote

How did Darth Vader get stuck under your engine? Cool

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:41 am    Post subject: Re: AAZ Engine Mount Reply with quote

Ok, I am looking at my parts break down for a 79 VW Dasher. Part number for the mount is 893 199 381 plain, B, C, or D. The difference is in the application. They probably have different durometers and are color coded. I believe that number crossed over to your link above. I thought the reason for doing the AAZ conversion was that you could use the original vanagon diesel mounting and peripherals. Looks like you have a custom install.
Christopholi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:17 pm    Post subject: Re: AAZ Engine Mount Reply with quote

MarkWard wrote:
Ok, I am looking at my parts break down for a 79 VW Dasher. Part number for the mount is 893 199 381 plain, B, C, or D. The difference is in the application. They probably have different durometers and are color coded. I believe that number crossed over to your link above. I thought the reason for doing the AAZ conversion was that you could use the original vanagon diesel mounting and peripherals. Looks like you have a custom install.

Thanks very much for that! I was able to find some local suppliers with that part number, and they are pretty inexpensive. I'll have to get one out to see which version it is specifically, but I think you are right about the colour coding.

I don't know much about the conversion, but it is definitely custom. It was done a couple of POs ago, who was apparently a VW mechanic (aren't they all?).

Thanks again!
Christopholi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:18 pm    Post subject: Re: AAZ Engine Mount Reply with quote

dobryan wrote:
How did Darth Vader get stuck under your engine? Cool

Right? I though it was pretty ominous looking Laughing
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:53 pm    Post subject: Re: AAZ Engine Mount Reply with quote

I ordered two of them from Amazon (cheap and fast) and I received a green one and a black one. They're installed and seem to be doing okay, but now that I'm aware of the color-coding for different applications I'll keep an even closer eye on them.

https://www.amazon.com/DEA-A2421-Front-Engine-Moun...otor+mount

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:27 pm    Post subject: Re: AAZ Engine Mount Reply with quote

I have a vague memory that the diesel had green ones. Can't trust my memory that far back.
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:56 pm    Post subject: Re: AAZ Engine Mount Reply with quote

Yes, my Dasher diesels (3) all had green engine mounts.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: