Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Dynamat hoodliner
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
llilibel03
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:01 pm    Post subject: Dynamat hoodliner Reply with quote

Anybody iused this product in the engine bay. How effective was it?

I've used dynamat on some body panels and it seemed to help. But at 6o mph and above it's just the ehgine howling that makes noise. I was wondering if this would be a good investment-

https://www.amazon.com/Dynamat-11905-Hoodliner-Sel...+hoodliner
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Multiman mv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 5:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Dynamat hoodliner Reply with quote

I purchased this product thinking that I would use it but it is a really light weight foam that doesn’t seem to have a lot of acoustic blocking properties. Admittedly, I don’t know a lot about the subject so I guess I’m just relying on my gut feelings on this product. In the little research that I have done on the subject, I think to really accomplish sound deadening of engine and transmission noise, you need to look into a product that has a “decoupled” layer of mass loaded vinyl. You need a layer of closed and open cell foam and a mass loaded vinyl layer to absorb the frequency of noise created by the engine. The product has to have a bit of weight to it in order to control noise. I did use a lot of dynamat extrem with a layer of dynaliner on top and it did a good job of controlling noise under 60 mph (in my tdi converted van.) the noise created by the engine when driving over 60 mph is difficult to combat. I think a lot of the noise is transferred through the engine and transmission mounts. I think this is where the mass loaded vinyl could help but it probably wouldn’t be the miracle cure. I’m sure someone with more experience with sound control can chime in.
llilibel03
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Dynamat hoodliner Reply with quote

Nobody?

Would a heavy blanket on the plastic deck lid help
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mikesarge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Dynamat hoodliner Reply with quote

the previous owner of my van applied fatmat to the top of the hood and around the entire rear deck area. my van seems to be about as quiet as I could imagine a 30 year old van shaped like this when traveling 70mph.
llilibel03
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:18 am    Post subject: Re: Dynamat hoodliner Reply with quote

Multiman mv wrote:
I purchased this product thinking that I would use it but it is a really light weight foam that doesn’t seem to have a lot of acoustic blocking properties. Admittedly, I don’t know a lot about the subject so I guess I’m just relying on my gut feelings on this product. In the little research that I have done on the subject, I think to really accomplish sound deadening of engine and transmission noise, you need to look into a product that has a “decoupled” layer of mass loaded vinyl. You need a layer of closed and open cell foam and a mass loaded vinyl layer to absorb the frequency of noise created by the engine. The product has to have a bit of weight to it in order to control noise. I did use a lot of dynamat extrem with a layer of dynaliner on top and it did a good job of controlling noise under 60 mph (in my tdi converted van.) the noise created by the engine when driving over 60 mph is difficult to combat. I think a lot of the noise is transferred through the engine and transmission mounts. I think this is where the mass loaded vinyl could help but it probably wouldn’t be the miracle cure. I’m sure someone with more experience with sound control can chime in.

Is this where you got your info?

https://www.sounddeadenershowdown.com

Anybody ever try the "mass loaded vinyl" and "closed cell foam" advertised here?
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Dynamat hoodliner Reply with quote

I used Dynamat hood liner on my engine compartment extension and engine lid.

I also used it on the firewall behind and above the gas tank on my Syncro, but I also used original Dynamat sound deadener as a first layer there. I think that's the key--the products work great together.

Purely anecdotal of course, but I think it makes a big difference with heat and sound. Some argue there are better marine products you can use, but the Dynamat stuff is lightweight, easy to cut and work with, and sticks really well. I read several discussions on RV forums about using it on RV engine doghouses and it got very favorable reviews, so I gave it a shot.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Again, I'm sure there are more robust products out there but this was relatively inexpensive and effective for my projects.

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Multiman mv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Dynamat hoodliner Reply with quote

llilibel03 wrote:
Multiman mv wrote:

Is this where you got your info?

https://www.sounddeadenershowdown.com

Anybody ever try the "mass loaded vinyl" and "closed cell foam" advertised here?

That’s one of the sites I’ve read up on. B-Quiet is another site that has some good products. The products are expensive but worth it from what I’ve heard. I have a removable mat that I use to cover the rear cargo area. It is heavy foam with a decouple layer of mass loaded vinyl and I believe it has helped with engine noise. I’ll try to get the name of the product for you as soon as I can..
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: