Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Spindle Difference
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jensers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 1:47 pm    Post subject: Spindle Difference Reply with quote

I have a 1966 13 window deluxe and I ordered a disc brake kit for it and found that my spindle is not correct for the kit. In reading thru threads and looking at pictures I found that there are 2 different styles of spindles.

My question - were the spindles I have stock to this bus or has a previous owner swapped them out for an earlier spindle? (See Attached Image)

Also - if I have the incorrect spindles, are they a direct swap if I can find the correct ones?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

67_SO42
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 2:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Spindle Difference Reply with quote

Hello,
You have the earlier version. What year is your bus?
Could you send the kit back for an exchange? Which kit is it?
I believe you will need trailing arms and spindles to make the change to the later spindles.
58 Binz DC #151 "Nacho"
61 Norwegian, bug "Greta"
65 Swedish, Westfalia 400 trailer "Melania"
57 Binz scooter “Micha”
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jensers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 2:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Spindle Difference Reply with quote

It is a 1966.

Well - crap...

I can hopefully send them back, but I am waiting to hear if the kit can work with these older spindles with different bearings and races.

It is the AC Industries kit from SoCal.

Apparently I have a frankenbus.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 3:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Spindle Difference Reply with quote

Look into upgrading the front suspension. Parts for 1964-67 are a lot easier/less $$ to get.
Busted-bolt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 4:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Spindle Difference Reply with quote

On you're first picture I can see the early snubber on you're beam. I think the whole beam was changed at one point. Im not sure that the late trailing arms will interchange,maybe some one in the know will chime in.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 4:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Spindle Difference Reply with quote

Busted-bolt wrote:
On you're first picture I can see the early snubber on you're beam. I think the whole beam was changed at one point. Im not sure that the late trailing arms will interchange,maybe some one in the know will chime in.

Not a direct fit. Early has bushings, later has much better needle bearings where the trailing arms go into the beam.
easy e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 5:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Spindle Difference Reply with quote

If you don’t want to spend a lot...
Pretty sur the later trailing arms can be used if you press off the needle bearing race with VW463 tool.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/tools/463_front.jpg

Then you can use poly bushings.
You can pick up the later trailing arms pretty cheap in the classifieds.
Maybe talk to Greg at Vintage Warehouse:
http://www.vintagewarehouse.com/VW.html

He has the bushings & can tell you for sure about the trailing arm swap.
I can loan you the VW tool if you end up going that route. Greg might have the trailing arms too.
Jensers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 11:21 am    Post subject: Re: Spindle Difference Reply with quote

Thank you for all the information and the offer for help!

It appears I have a little more research to do so I fully understand what is going on and what solution makes the most sense long term.
Bruce Amacker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 7:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Spindle Difference Reply with quote

When was the last time you greased the front end? Shocked

I'm thinking some of those fittings are not going to take grease well. I'd be addressing that before installing disc brakes...…..
'66- http://www.leakoil.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=2888&sid=54d8dedfb3822f99c7f2ea430cb4e856
'65- http://leakoil.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4263
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
campingbox Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:59 am    Post subject: Re: Spindle Difference Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:
Look into upgrading the front suspension. Parts for 1964-67 are a lot easier/less $$ to get.

I don’t think this is correct. The 64-67 parts are quite a bit more expensive than the earlier stuff.
mr. warehouse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:19 am    Post subject: Re: Spindle Difference Reply with quote

easy e wrote:
If you don’t want to spend a lot...
Pretty sur the later trailing arms can be used if you press off the needle bearing race with VW463 tool.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/tools/463_front.jpg

Then you can use poly bushings.
You can pick up the later trailing arms pretty cheap in the classifieds.
Maybe talk to Greg at Vintage Warehouse:
http://www.vintagewarehouse.com/VW.html

He has the bushings & can tell you for sure about the trailing arm swap.
I can loan you the VW tool if you end up going that route. Greg might have the trailing arms too.

Feel free to give me a call Jensers. I can help you out with arms, spindles, bushings, or probably the easiest route, the correct brake kit for your setup.
707-291-7606
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 4:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Spindle Difference Reply with quote

campingbox wrote:
Eric&Barb wrote:

I don’t think this is correct. The 64-67 parts are quite a bit more expensive than the earlier stuff.

Well the link pins are a big difference. Off the shelf new parts.

1964-67 $100.00

1955-63 $175.00

Sure the early trailing arm bushings are going to be less expensive at first, than the later needle bearings, but then one has to get them reamed with the special tool. So that requires shipping in the tool or shipping out the beam for most folks, there goes the savings.

The later needle bearings for the trailing arms only need a simple to make tool to pull out and install the new ones. Plus as long as one keeps to the greasing maintenance schedule the needle bearings should last much longer.

Think 1964 still had the bushings and 1965 the needle bearings were introduced.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: