Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

oil cooler adapter leak thru stud
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
balljoint
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:23 pm    Post subject: oil cooler adapter leak thru stud Reply with quote

So I bought a new aftermarket cooler and adapter to replace a old style cooler that somehow ended up on my 1600 case.

Put it on using 4 red seals and of course had a leak from between the adapter and case and a new one I've never heard of before ie from the lower stud itself that bolts the cooler to the adapter!

I can see what looks like a pin hole from the oil gallery of the adapter that is close to the threaded hole that holds this lower stud so maybe the oil is getting through there and being pushed out through the threading and out along the stud.

Anyway never seen this mentioned before so just giving you guys a heads up of yet another inferior part and possible source of leak to look out for.

What do you suggest..... an oem adapter? or is there a quality one available instead one of those run of the mill Chinese crap I have now?
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:02 pm    Post subject: Re: oil cooler adapter leak thru stud Reply with quote

Can you post a photo of yours?

If you look in the classified Berg has used/cleaned orig dog house adapters for $20
mcmscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:08 pm    Post subject: Re: oil cooler adapter leak thru stud Reply with quote

Almost every aftermarket adaptor does that, very crappy part. Just had one last week. You will see some of them filled with epoxy in the hole on the bottom to try and fix this.

68 Ghia
67 T-1
65 Notch
02 Mexican beetle
74 Thing
15 Long travel rail
07 Nomad
05 f-250
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:11 pm    Post subject: Re: oil cooler adapter leak thru stud Reply with quote

balljoint wrote:
So I bought a new aftermarket cooler and adapter to replace a old style cooler that somehow ended up on my 1600 case.

Put it on using 4 red seals and of course had a leak from between the adapter and case and a new one I've never heard of before ie from the lower stud itself that bolts the cooler to the adapter!

I can see what looks like a pin hole from the oil gallery of the adapter that is close to the threaded hole that holds this lower stud so maybe the oil is getting through there and being pushed out through the threading and out along the stud.

Anyway never seen this mentioned before so just giving you guys a heads up of yet another inferior part and possible source of leak to look out for.

What do you suggest..... an oem adapter? or is there a quality one available instead one of those run of the mill Chinese crap I have now?

Crazy!! Out of the thousands that I have used over the years, I have never had one like that......until last month. I couldn't believe what I was seeing. So yeah, you're not crazy. I buy them from a couple different places so I wasn't sure if it was a bad batch or what. I've used 10 since then without a problem.

https://www.facebook.com/mofoco?ref=ts&fref=ts

www.mofoco.com

Cylinder Head Reference Sheet
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:10 pm    Post subject: Re: oil cooler adapter leak thru stud Reply with quote

I could not find the Berg ones. Here is a clean used original one...https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1230148

Better than having to clean it yourself!
balljoint
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 5:34 pm    Post subject: Re: oil cooler adapter leak thru stud Reply with quote

Yeah...I got one of the berg ones
Thanks
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: