Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Newly Acquired '85 VanagonGL, almost caught fire, need advice
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Newly Acquired '85 VanagonGL, almost caught fire, need advice Reply with quote

That last pic is a baddie.

Someone used a threaded fitting to make a hose diameter change, the threads will require a huge torque on the hose to seal, and the threads will be cutting the hose continually over time. Find the right two barbed fitting in brass, with a small barb on one side and a larger barb on the other.

All of the open thread hose clamps cut into the hose, closed clamps or Oetikers don’t do this.
vwrhodie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Newly Acquired '85 VanagonGL, almost caught fire, need advice Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
That last pic is a baddie.

Someone used a threaded fitting to make a hose diameter change, the threads will require a huge torque on the hose to seal, and the threads will be cutting the hose continually over time. Find the right two barbed fitting in brass, with a small barb on one side and a larger barb on the other.

All of the open thread hose clamps cut into the hose, closed clamps or Oetikers don’t do this.

I know right? Even I was like woooooooooow and again, pretty alarming that the professional VW/Vanagon guy who did a "full inspection" on this van didnt mention it. Do I have to use a barb? cant I just let the fuel line go straight through and clamp it down like I did on the connections behind the firewall? Also, do I have to drain my fuel tank to replace the last hose that connects to the tank? I will be finishing this job tomorrow and then continuing my search high and low for that hose thingy that connects from the oil pressure tower to the thingy thats connected to the air filter (lol I dont know any of the names!)

Thanks for your advice!
'84 Rabbit Turbo Diesel 2021
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:18 am    Post subject: Re: Newly Acquired '85 VanagonGL, almost caught fire, need advice Reply with quote

If you can find a piece of fuel hose that fits both sides snugly, you don’t need to change diameters, them just get rid of that fitting.

I’ll try to find a picture of the closed type clamps without serrations which are better. That fitting might be eliminating the original plastic firewall piece which is a source of many fuel leaks on Vanagon.

You have to read a bit into the Samba sometimes. People will write that this is a fail point, but any plastic piece on a car >28 years old is a fail point.

Anywhere the fuel line touches metal, it has to be protected from chafe. Going through tin, the tin is a just a knife cutting your fuel line if it’s loose. A grommet or heavy case with an inspection routine is required.

Once they walk and talk, you figure out a companion is needed. Each one is different, so next Time you get a sleeper. #heart
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:48 am    Post subject: Re: Newly Acquired '85 VanagonGL, almost caught fire, need advice Reply with quote

You're doing good work but using the wrong clamps. Those cheese cutter clamps are for coolant hoses.

You need fuel injection clamps - you can buy them by the box at your Friendly Local Auto Parts Store (FLAPS)

https://www.google.com/search?q=fuel+injection+cla...mp;bih=898
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
T3 Pilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:02 am    Post subject: Re: Newly Acquired '85 VanagonGL, almost caught fire, need advice Reply with quote

The gold standard:

https://www.normagroup.com/norma.nsf/res/ABA_Mini_datasheet_en.pdf/$file/ABA_Mini_datasheet_en.pdf

Order the all stainless versions, here is a good supplier:

https://www.belmetric.com

The most important part in every vehicle is the nut behind the wheel......
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:39 am    Post subject: Re: Newly Acquired '85 VanagonGL, almost caught fire, need advice Reply with quote

T3 Pilot wrote:
The gold standard:

https://www.normagroup.com/norma.nsf/res/ABA_Mini_datasheet_en.pdf/$file/ABA_Mini_datasheet_en.pdf

jake's link has a nice picture of the clamps (and the cheese cutter Laughing Laughing ones as well = I don't even use these for coolant hoses)

You can take a chance on ABA, take a chance on FI, but they work great!

(this is a really bad 1970 song reference, but I can't help myself)
vwrhodie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Newly Acquired '85 VanagonGL, almost caught fire, need advice Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
If you can find a piece of fuel hose that fits both sides snugly, you don’t need to change diameters, them just get rid of that fitting.

I’ll try to find a picture of the closed type clamps without serrations which are better. That fitting might be eliminating the original plastic firewall piece which is a source of many fuel leaks on Vanagon.

Once they walk and talk, you figure out a companion is needed. Each one is different, so next Time you get a sleeper. #heart

The plastic firewall piece was already eliminated yesterday unless you are talking about another piece further down the line and toward the fuel tank which is where that mickey mouse job photo was taken.

I should clarify that the clamps I am using are NOT from my kit off of vanagon.com. they sent me the ones you guys mentioned. what is with those things? they are a PAIN in the ass to remove and do I really need pincher pliers to tighten them? I ran to Ace and bought those screw kinds. way better and way easier to remove. now I have all these extra clamps and I spent another $34 on clamps alone -.-

I will be finishing up the fuel line underneath the van this evening. Cant work underneath without a babysitter. oh and DEFINITELY not having another baby. You never really know what your partner is like until you become parents together. I am killin the mom game over here and he is well uhh...yeah...

thanks again, i appreciate your responses so much #foreveraloneinmyendeavors
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwrhodie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Newly Acquired '85 VanagonGL, almost caught fire, need advice Reply with quote

Jake de Villiers wrote:
You're doing good work but using the wrong clamps. Those cheese cutter clamps are for coolant hoses.

You need fuel injection clamps - you can buy them by the box at your Friendly Local Auto Parts Store (FLAPS)

https://www.google.com/search?q=fuel+injection+cla...mp;bih=898

thanks. yeah i ran out and bought those clamps. my kit came with fuel line clamps. why are they impossible to remove?!?!?!?!
vwrhodie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Newly Acquired '85 VanagonGL, almost caught fire, need advice Reply with quote

T3 Pilot wrote:
The gold standard:

yes!!!! that is what I want/need! thank you! i will be ordering these going forward
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Newly Acquired '85 VanagonGL, almost caught fire, need advice Reply with quote

Some guys relate to infants/toddlers - most don't. When you see them interacting from 3-6 is when the weakness returns. Just warning you now.

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

The reason oetingers are so hard to remove, is because they are hard to remove. You want that. You want these things to stay, with vibration, relaxation of rubber hose, oil on them, locusts, T-rex invasion, etc.

ABAs are fine. Add an inspection ritual to your scheduled maintenance book
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Newly Acquired '85 VanagonGL, almost caught fire, need advice Reply with quote

vwrhodie wrote:
I can barely handle one and our plans of having more have been cancelled now that we have one! Dont wanna talk trash on my son, you get it, he is a wonderful sidekick but how do I get him to stop picking up rusty nails, trash, and chasing stray cats?!?!?! Wink

I am glad to hear you were able to have a child.
-bobby

Last edited by bobbyblack on Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:06 am; edited 1 time in total
SCM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Newly Acquired '85 VanagonGL, almost caught fire, need advice Reply with quote

bobbyblack wrote:
His one kid is a little creepy jerk attention magnet that has to get her own way all the time. She will never never know what growing up with a sibling would have taught her.

In keeping with the OT theme, my mom's husband is the youngest of 4, two older sisters and an older brother. "Jerk attention magnet" fits him to a T in many, many ways. At 60 years of age he still hasn't learned not to interrupt other's conversations with completely off-topic nonsense. I could go on and on about it (so could my wife who has even less patience with him than I do).

So, if you only want one kid don't let Bobby's comment dissuade you.

I turned out to be a perfectly well adjusted only-child. Well, there's a couple things but we all have our foibles, don't we?
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Newly Acquired '85 VanagonGL, almost caught fire, need advice Reply with quote

When people ask why we stopped at six, i tell them they couldn't promise me the next one would be a girl. Our youngest is named Abby "Fathers Joy"
vwrhodie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:25 am    Post subject: Re: Newly Acquired '85 VanagonGL, almost caught fire, need advice Reply with quote

SCM wrote:
bobbyblack wrote:
His one kid is a little creepy jerk attention magnet that has to get her own way all the time. She will never never know what growing up with a sibling would have taught her.

In keeping with the OT theme, my mom's husband is the youngest of 4, two older sisters and an older brother. "Jerk attention magnet" fits him to a T in many, many ways. At 60 years of age he still hasn't learned not to interrupt other's conversations with completely off-topic nonsense. I could go on and on about it (so could my wife who has even less patience with him than I do).

So, if you only want one kid don't let Bobby's comment dissuade you.

I turned out to be a perfectly well adjusted only-child. Well, there's a couple things but we all have our foibles, don't we?

my husband is the youngest of seven, born 12 years after the second youngest. when he was born, his only sister was in her early 20's and raised him as if he was her child. he also has his mom. can you imagine what kind of effect his two servants had on him? yes, we all have our foibles. i have many but the degree of difference in my husband and I is daunting. my son can be my bestfriend Smile
vwrhodie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:28 am    Post subject: Re: Newly Acquired '85 VanagonGL, almost caught fire, need advice Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
Some guys relate to infants/toddlers - most don't. When you see them interacting from 3-6 is when the weakness returns. Just warning you now.

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

The reason oetingers are so hard to remove, is because they are hard to remove. You want that. You want these things to stay, with vibration, relaxation of rubber hose, oil on them, locusts, T-rex invasion, etc.

ABAs are fine. Add an inspection ritual to your scheduled maintenance book

dangit, i wish i wouldve used those pretty clamps... i will check on my lines frequently! *sets calendar alert in phone*
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:34 am    Post subject: Re: Newly Acquired '85 VanagonGL, almost caught fire, need advice Reply with quote

Why don't you fix your mistake?

I've had to redo jobs 2-3 times because they weren't perfect. You spent the coin on good gas line, now buy the correct clamps.

They're going to be easy to remove. It won't take you long either.
vwrhodie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Newly Acquired '85 VanagonGL, almost caught fire, need advice Reply with quote

shagginwagon83 wrote:

I've had to redo jobs 2-3 times because they weren't perfect. You spent the coin on good gas line, now buy the correct clamps.

I have the proper clamps that came in my fuel line kit but they stump me... the fit is so snug I have to use wd40 to get them on and I dont know how to tighten them down. I asked two randoms walking through the alley where I was working and they didn't know (one said, "take it to a jeweler" hahahaha). Is it true I need pincher pliers for these?
fxr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Newly Acquired '85 VanagonGL, almost caught fire, need advice Reply with quote

vwrhodie wrote:
shagginwagon83 wrote:

I have the proper clamps that came in my fuel line kit but they stump me... the fit is so snug I have to use wd40 to get them on and I dont know how to tighten them down. I asked two randoms walking through the alley where I was working and they didn't know (one said, "take it to a jeweler" hahahaha). Is it true I need pincher pliers for these?

This tool is what you really want:
https://www.amazon.com/IWISS-Ratcheting-Crimping-Stainless-Fastening/dp/B01919K6MW

The pincher pliers from GW etc maybe half the price, but they won't do nearly as good a job.

They'll last for years, and be very useful when you do some home plumbing jobs using PEX pipe. Wink
vwrhodie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:36 am    Post subject: Re: Newly Acquired '85 VanagonGL, almost caught fire, need advice Reply with quote

Quote:

This tool is what you really want:
https://www.amazon.com/IWISS-Ratcheting-Crimping-Stainless-Fastening/dp/B01919K6MW

The pincher pliers from GW etc maybe half the price, but they won't do nearly as good a job.

They'll last for years, and be very useful when you do some home plumbing jobs using PEX pipe. Wink

thank you!
vwrhodie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:58 am    Post subject: Re: Newly Acquired '85 VanagonGL, almost caught fire, need advice Reply with quote

Here are some photos of the rest of the line we replaced. Job is all done! The line underneath the carriage was definitely a two person job. I had help from this guy I met at Ace hardware. Went in for a heater hose and he knew exactly what part I was replacing, so I was desperate and asked him if he could help with the last bit. Only one more question, here is the 'bolt' that was in between the lines in a previous photo. I am still using it with the new lines, do you guys think this piece is okay since its smooth inside the line?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Here are the rest of the photos Smile

I just want to thank you guys again for being so cool and helpful. I appreciate the tips and advice on toddlers and kids. You guys rock! Got my Bentley manual and read some of it over breakfast. Next job: coca cola can muffler patch for a small rust hole and my garment rack to hang clothes in the side doorway (and steel coolant pipes...and...). I will post that job as soon as it is complete, just in case any of you sell at flea markets like me and want to maximize your space Smile

I changed the oil/oil filter over the weekend (I should have waited and done it on a more level ground!) and will fire her up as soon as I receive the silicone heater hose and clamps to put in place of one of the emission control hose thingys. Apparently that is a very common hose to go gummy and fail.

Take care you guys!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

Jump to: