Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

loctite on gland nut?
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
rodeking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 4:03 pm    Post subject: loctite on gland nut? Reply with quote

Got the end play to .0045. Time for this gland nut thing, do you use blue on it? Wilson says 300 ft-lbs, should be good for a little 1679 right?

Sometimes I still get a swollen gland, or is that an organ?
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 4:19 pm    Post subject: Re: loctite on gland nut? Reply with quote

Maybe, some do.
I'd just put oil on it. Main thing is get an accurate torque.
rodeking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 4:28 pm    Post subject: Re: loctite on gland nut? Reply with quote

OK, will just use oil, I hate cleaning that stuff out of a blind hole if it has to be reassembled.
bugguy1967
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 5:57 pm    Post subject: Re: loctite on gland nut? Reply with quote

Yes, oil only. Also, turn the stamped side of the washer away from the flywheel, and take time to deburr any high spots on the underside of the gland nut's hex before tightening. SCAT makes the smoothest gland nut out of all I've seen.
rodeking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 4:56 am    Post subject: Re: loctite on gland nut? Reply with quote

Well it's already on so I think I'll leave it but I will keep that in mind for next time. Not sure what Herr Dr. Porsche was thinking when he designed this setup but it is simple and does the job I guess. A four cap screw design would have required a larger OD flange to be forged on the end of the crank, no big deal but I'm sure he had his reasons.
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:30 pm    Post subject: Re: loctite on gland nut? Reply with quote

I use molly lube on the threads, on the washer face and deburr the nut flats so they do not dig into the washer.then twerk my ass off.....also I like tighter end play.
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 5:00 pm    Post subject: Re: loctite on gland nut? Reply with quote

rodeking wrote:
Well it's already on so I think I'll leave it but I will keep that in mind for next time. Not sure what Herr Dr. Porsche was thinking when he designed this setup but it is simple and does the job I guess. A four cap screw design would have required a larger OD flange to be forged on the end of the crank, no big deal but I'm sure he had his reasons.

While nobody knows for sure, the blame is probably on Karl Rabe, not Porsche.
IMO Porsche would have known better.

yes moly lube would be a good idea.
I like to use a 38mm head scat unit with moly lube at 350 fft-lbs, but I would not expect the stock one to take that.
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:55 pm    Post subject: Re: loctite on gland nut? Reply with quote

rodeking wrote:
Got the end play to .0045. Time for this gland nut thing, do you use blue on it? Wilson says 300 ft-lbs, should be good for a little 1679 right?

Sometimes I still get a swollen gland, or is that an organ?

Stock gland nut will take 300 ft pounds all day long. Problem with Loctite is people use too much, personally I use none anywhere including connecting rods. If you had to use it maybe the green and just a small drop.
maui
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:22 pm    Post subject: Re: loctite on gland nut? Reply with quote

Why, I bin using couple drops of red every time and 400 lbs for fourty years and never had a problem and I sure others do the same. No big deal.
mcmscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:30 pm    Post subject: Re: loctite on gland nut? Reply with quote

maui wrote:
Why, I bin using couple drops of red every time and 400 lbs for fourty years and never had a problem and I sure others do the same. No big deal.

Because this is the samba, and if you do anything different than someone with a high post count well, you are definatly wrong. Doesnt matter if they dont know thier head from the ass

68 Ghia
67 T-1
65 Notch
02 Mexican beetle
74 Thing
15 Long travel rail
07 Nomad
05 f-250
Type 5 Joe
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:45 pm    Post subject: Re: loctite on gland nut? Reply with quote

Yes this is true to some degree...

Makes you wonder how many hours they could be working on a project... Gaining actual hands-on experience, instead of hanging out here.

There is one guy on here that thinks he is the bee's knee's ... And has has some others believing that too. But he all about the "going to build a roller cam engine someday"... "Going to do this, going to do that,.. Blah, Blah, Blah...

Truth is he's the biggest Idiot on her, and will never do anything with his life.

-Oh yah, lube, Torque, re-shim as needed... Then de-grease and add a couple drops of red. I use the Gene Berg Forged Gland Nut / Washer exclusively on my Type I-III bases engines.

I don't use the P.M. service on here.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rodeking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:12 am    Post subject: Re: loctite on gland nut? Reply with quote

Well you guys have convinced me to pull it off again, massage the washer and nut, moly lube it and retorque to 325. I have a 250 torque wrench and I use a cheater pipe on it gripped at the right distance.

Herr Porsche or Rabe's wife must have been on their ass that day to fix that leaky faucet and they got the bright idea to use this setup to hold on a flywheel Rolling Eyes

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
UK Luke 72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:41 am    Post subject: Re: loctite on gland nut? Reply with quote

Most critical fasteners in an engine? Rod bolts, and they're stretched with lube not threadlock

It's the elastic deformation of a fastener that holds it tight. Flying in dry increases the friction both between the threads and under the bolt head so more of the actual torque is lost to friction and not utilised in actually 'stretching' the bolt.

Moly is ideal as it'll hold up to the heat and has anti galling properties. Although nothing wrong with good old engine oil Smile
ac509
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:30 am    Post subject: Re: loctite on gland nut? Reply with quote

Type 5 Joe wrote:

There is one guy on here that thinks he is the bee's knee's ... And has has some others believing that too. But he all about the "going to build a roller cam engine someday"... "Going to do this, going to do that,.. Blah, Blah, Blah...

Truth is he's the biggest Idiot on her, and will never do anything with his life.

i only recently realized how much talking i do vs actually doing things. i want to build a roller cam engine, i want fuel injection, i want a turbo. i have bought most of these items, but they all just sit in boxes while i hang out here on the samba. i don't think i post much so i am not sure how you found out about me. i suppose i am way more transparent than i realize. someday i will make some of my dreams happen... or i will stop having dreams.

No one questions a 73' Volkswagen?
I have a '73 Volkswagen and it is nowhere near 73' long!
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:45 pm    Post subject: Re: loctite on gland nut? Reply with quote

BE CAREFUL, a stock gland nut is only made of screw machine steel, and if you use moly it may increase the effective torque 10-20%

So if you have a torque spec which is for oiled bolt, and you use moly on it instead, drop the torque 10%
Also if you have a bolt with a LARGER head, that increases friction, like a larger clutch disk, more grip/leverage, so you have to increase the torque some amount based on how much larger the head is.

Having it come loose is bad, but stripping the threads or breaking the head off the thing halfway through the race because you over-tightened it is equally not fun.

So, just have to take all the factors into account basically. Even the crank. if it's a cast crank.....don't push it, they are weaker.
The reason ARP moly lube works so well is it produces a very predictable amount of friction, no matter if the surfaces are new or old, smooth or rough........and when it comes to torquing fasteners that's what you want.....predictable results!!
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:29 pm    Post subject: Re: loctite on gland nut? Reply with quote

rodeking wrote:

Herr Porsche or Rabe's wife must have been on their ass that day to fix that leaky faucet and they got the bright idea to use this setup to hold on a flywheel Rolling Eyes

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Laughing
Rabe was a very talented designer, and perhaps it wasn't his fault that it went 50 years unchanged from his blueprint......but he started it, so, I'm blaming him!!
The design makes good use of all the machines in a prototying toolroom, but for mass producing interchangeable parts you don't use MULTIPLE dowel pins.
bugguy1967
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:15 pm    Post subject: Re: loctite on gland nut? Reply with quote

Oh yeah, cast cranks! I've used a few strokers, and stuck to the factory value. They'll obviously strip easier than a forged crank.
volksworld
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:43 pm    Post subject: Re: loctite on gland nut? Reply with quote

the thing i dont like about loctite on a gland nut is trying to get it all cleaned off so you get an accurate torque result the next time you have to replace it
chrisflstf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:47 pm    Post subject: Re: loctite on gland nut? Reply with quote

Quote:
the thing i dont like about loctite on a gland nut is trying to get it all cleaned off

The red loctite needs heat to remove, or you can remove the threads, if you dont use heat. Tough stuff. Small hook pics work good for cleaning threads, along with brake cleaner and air
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:58 pm    Post subject: Re: loctite on gland nut? Reply with quote

I'm just glad you guys understand... not to screw a dry hole.
Which sauce is going to give you the best overall result is UP To YOU.
if it feels good at the time but if you end up regretting it later.......? is that the best you can do?
Tho I admit it's a tough spot to work with. You don't want to get moly on the clutch, so, just a little dab will do ya, and moly itself is a PITA, get any on YOU, can't touch anything white for a week.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: