Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rust/Pitting
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tomahawk27
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 4:33 pm    Post subject: Rust/Pitting Reply with quote

Hey everyone. I posted this same question in my build thread but thought it may get more responses here.

The areas with the most rust is the pan. This is what it looked like when I bought it (the bottom looks essentially the same):

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

And this is after taking a wire wheel to one area of it:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Not the best quality picture, but my question is, would something like Por 15 or high build primer fill in the pitting or would it be easier to cut these out and drop in some new metal? If applying a product over it instead of new metal, I assume I should use a rust converter for any areas the wire brush couldn't get to?

For the bottom, any recommendations would be appreciated. I've read a bunch of threads here and have heard suggestions like undercoating, bed liner, Por 15, etc.

Thanks as always
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 4:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Rust/Pitting Reply with quote

www.MasterSeriesCT.com silver & black is as good as anything out there. Brush on silver coats until you're happy & finish off with gloss black if you want.
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
theKbStockpiler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 5:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Rust/Pitting Reply with quote

That looks rusted enough that it will have holes in it when you clean it up.
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Rust/Pitting Reply with quote

I don't see a problem.
Clean it, paint it! If it needs to be smooth make it smooth, but, why would it?
chrisarnt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:13 am    Post subject: Re: Rust/Pitting Reply with quote

I don't see any reason to make it smooth.
But some POR15 couldn't hurt.
I bought some silver bullet, but prefer the POR15.
The POR 15 also comes in a starter kit for $20. Good deal.
But then again, POR15 is high gloss and if you don't knock the gloss off the low spots in the pits before you paint it the paint might not adhere properly to those spots and pop off. I just had it happen.

I think If you added bondo or high build primer to make it smooth you are just asking for it to flake off.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
beetlenut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:24 am    Post subject: Re: Rust/Pitting Reply with quote

I'd first spray it with a phosphorus acid product like Ospho to stop the oxidation process, then follow that up with 2 coats of Master Series Silver primer, If you have any pinholes, you can put tape on the bottom before you use the MS silver primer and have it flow into and seal those pinholes. Then top coat with Master Series AG-111 in your preferred color.
... I spend more time shaking it than directing it?! I get a pretty decent blast for 8sec. then have to shake it again.
- Words to live by right there!

My 74 Super rebuild thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6507104#6507104
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
chrisarnt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Rust/Pitting Reply with quote

You could just POR15 it and then put some diamond plate on. That would be sweet!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Rust/Pitting Reply with quote

I know a lot of guys like POR stuff but I don't really get it. Just looks like some kind of flagpole paint to me.
If you want something thick to fill the pits, use a good 2 part epoxy, and paint over it with a topcoat of your choice.
Epoxy on a well prepped surface you can bend the panel and it won't crack or pop loose, while high build urethane and fillers on the market....just fall to pieces if the panel flexes.

Prepping rusted metal with a high power wire brush DOES work, but is important to paint it right after. The force of wire brushing it will knock off all loose material, and the heat generated removes the moisture.....temporarily, so act fast, or prep it again.
chrisarnt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Rust/Pitting Reply with quote

modok wrote:
I know a lot of guys like POR stuff but I don't really get it. Just looks like some kind of flagpole paint to me.
If you want something thick to fill the pits, use a good 2 part epoxy, and paint over it with a topcoat of your choice.
Epoxy on a well prepped surface you can bend the panel and it won't crack or pop loose, while high build urethane and fillers on the market....just fall to pieces if the panel flexes.

Prepping rusted metal with a high power wire brush DOES work, but is important to paint it right after. The force of wire brushing it will knock off all loose material, and the heat generated removes the moisture.....temporarily, so act fast, or prep it again.

The reason you don't get it is that you haven't tried it.
I bought a leaky convertible three years ago with high hopes of restoring it. The previous owner replaced the floor pans but didn't do much else and they were rusty.
I hit them with a wire brush, degreaser and metal prep and put the POR15 on them.
Now they are water tight... As in after it rains there's 3" of water in the rear of the pans...But not a speck of rust. (it's parked uphill)
This is after three years of getting water in there. Flagpole paint won't do that.
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:01 am    Post subject: Re: Rust/Pitting Reply with quote

beetlenut wrote:
I'd first spray it with a phosphorus acid product like Ospho to stop the oxidation process, then follow that up with 2 coats of Master Series Silver primer, If you have any pinholes, you can put tape on the bottom before you use the MS silver primer and have it flow into and seal those pinholes. Then top coat with Master Series AG-111 in your preferred color.

I tried POR15 but didn't like it. I went to Master Series & have good results.
Weld patches in if necessary or take it to a Muffler Shop etc for primo welding.
Follow the 'beetlenut system'.
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oldmanmark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 5:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Rust/Pitting Reply with quote

I do what Beetle nut and Mike do.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: