Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

93 Weekender - AT - Hula
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
VAEV1993
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 5:37 am    Post subject: 93 Weekender - AT - Hula Reply with quote

Hey Friends, I float around here a little bit, most reading with minimal posting. But, I thought it might be fun to start a thread about our EV to keep our projects and questions in one place for both my benefit, and hopefully others as well.

I really enjoy reading the threads of folks refreshing up vans, getting things up and running well, and with lots of pictures, so I felt I should contribute to that.

A brief history - This van was (in more recent years) owned by Valley Westys in Staunton. VA as a rental, known as "HULA". After they decided to quit renting vans, the rental units were sold off (my good friend bought an 80 Vanagon Westy in that event), and a local fellow in Staunton bought this van. After a few months, he and his family got a chance on new house, so the van was sold to us...out of respect and superstition we have kept the name, but are slowly doing little things here and there to keep her up.

Now at 128,XXX miles, and serves us well for weekend outings and the like, and is a fun project for me. Not perfect, but neither am I.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

This photo is when we originally picked the van up.

Camping at Stokesville - new wheel setup installed. (the tires on the van when we bought it were under load rated, and pretty cracked up, so instead of just getting a new 15" set I wanted to move ahead to 16")

Audra State Park, WV

Top prepped for roll on bed liner

Installing the rear lift pad and new shocks

So far:
- Moved to a 16" steel wheel with Nokian Entyre 2.0 tires, in time I'd like to move to a nicer wheel, but wanted to make sure everything worked without spending too much money first.

- Had a few misc maintenance items done, timing belt, water pump, some seals here and there to resolve some coolant leaks, and some A/C work.

- Recently, spent some time in the shop to paint the top with Monstaliner, install the Bilstein HD shocks, and a 1" lift with Cavevan lift spacers in the rear - thanks Cole! I think the front was sitting a little higher anyway, and after the 1" lift things looked about right, so I'm gonna hold off on any changes to the front for a bit

- Also, the rain gutter seals have some rust from years of moisture, so we pulled those up cleaned up the spots well with a wire brush and coated the area with loctite rust neutralizer. The seals were reinstalled and well sealed well with silicone. Not perfect or beautiful, but will hopefully put a hold on things rotting out.

- Oh, and a brand new seal on the top - so much nicer.

Gutter rust, sigh

Cleaned up and "neutralized"

Resealed

Top done

Back at it camping in Stokesville, VA

Well, that is all for now. I'll keep things going, as best I can.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
IdeaNerd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 5:22 pm    Post subject: Re: 93 Weekender - AT - Hula Reply with quote

Nice post. Thanks for sharing! Smile

Looking forward to seeing more!

Popcorn
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VAEV1993
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:49 am    Post subject: Re: 93 Weekender - AT - Hula Reply with quote

So, I wanted to seek some help with an issue we have been having with the van for a little while now.

Difficulty restarting when warm. After operating the van for enough time for the engine to be warm-to-normal operating temp, if the engine is shut off, it is difficult to restart. (Sometimes can take 5 attempts or more to restart, or simply will not)

Upon restart, we continue to have the same situation of engine start and begin to run, but as it idles down the rpms fall off and the engine will stop running. If I add throttle once the engine starts and hold the throttle for enough time (maybe 10-20 seconds), then the engine will be begin to run just fine, come to a low idle, and operate with no further issue.

I've been trying to research hot start issues, and have found some information that has lead us to try some things that while have lead to updating some parts and improving some areas, have not fixed this issue.

So far, between our mechanic and us we have:

- Replaced water temp sensor (blue one) - cold start is great
- Cleaned throttle body
- Replaced Idle Air Control Valve (idle is great now)
- Replaced Intake Air Temp Sensor
- Replaced ignition coil
- Replaced ECU main relay and fuel pump relay
- Identified/fixed some minor wiring issue, cleaned battery connections and grounds

I think that about covers it. Distributor, plugs, and wires are all only just over a year old - maybe 4000 miles on these.

So, I thought someone might have some further input of the next things to try, or thoughts on something we have missed. It's not so much hindering us using the van, but I'd like to figure it out of course.

Thanks for any thoughts - Here's a photo from last Friday getting out on our local Fall time Friday evening MTB rides with our van and a friend. (Not that is actually Fall yet, but has felt like it lately)

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VAEV1993
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:01 am    Post subject: Re: 93 Weekender - AT - Hula Reply with quote

Have not updated this in quite a long time.

Months of trial and error, finally ending with an ECU replacement has resolved our issue and the van is back running way better than previously.

It is good to know how many other systems and components have checked out as working properly.

In the end our scenario was pretty similar to the trouble and result that bunkbed has posted about - a failed MAP sensor
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=703505

Special thanks to Valley Westys (Complete Auto Repair) in Staunton, VA for helping to get us straightened out. Now, we can get back to posting fun stuff.
VAEV1993
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 2:16 pm    Post subject: Re: 93 Weekender - AT - Hula Reply with quote

So...recently a few updates. Nothing too exciting.

- Installed new speakers in the rear. 4" speakers - had to cut apart the original stock speakers and JB-welded the upper ring to the new speakers. This allowed me to install them in the the factory brackets. There was not much left of the stock speakers, and they were not even hooked up. Nice to have some sound in the back. I can always take some photos if people are curious. The JB weld job is not really pretty, but with the factory grill back on there - you can't tell.

- Installed a new head unit. I just went with a single din media only unit. Since it is much shorter than a CD player unit, I didn't need to cut/modify the bar behind the dash. I don't really use CDs in vehicles much anymore...

- I added some window sealing foam beneath the edges of the front half of the upper bunk. The original seals were so blown out and I was quite tired of the knocking and noise when driving. Muuuuch better.

Otherwise, mostly been driving the van to trail heads and such. Now that we have a little one it is so nice to have the space as an HQ on hiking outings.

Oh...I also bought a parts van. GL with a 5-speed. Still runs quite strong at 250k, but the body is beat and has some rust. Going to store this in a barn until I need parts. Future manual conversion if/when we lose the auto.

VAEV1993
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2020 7:47 am    Post subject: Re: 93 Weekender - AT - Hula Reply with quote

Gosh...it has been a long time since I've posted an update about our Van.

So...for fun here are some notes and pictures over the past while. We've had some work done...done a little ourselves.

Some normal work that we have had done lately were ball joints, front pads and rotors, tie rod ends, and neutral safety switch.

Our shop (Valley Westy!) did find there was a crack in the exhaust manifold. I was able to source a ACU manifold and downpipe to upgrade from the old AAF parts. Below is a photo of the parts when delivered. Thanks to Slavic for these nice refurbished pieces.

I also took some time to dig into the original ECU to try my hand at replacing the failed MAP sensor with one I purchased from Europe via ebay. Below is a picture of the ECU with the original sensor, and the second photo shows the back solder points after I did the repair. Continuity all checked out, and after swapping back into the van and clearing the old stored codes, it has been running really well. Way better than it had ever really run before.

We had an ECU in there from a junk yard (correct p/n)...that was running pretty decent but had started showing some similar issues. I found it was showing the same MAP sensor failure code now too (of course). The van will run on this one, so for now I am keeping it in the van as a spare. Maybe I will replace the sensor in this one someday too.

Aside from that, we have been using it quite a bit. I've been driving it to work some, out for mountain bike rides, and we've been camping in it as a family on three occasions recently. So, we've been able to get out and enjoy it.

Maybe now I can finally get around to working on some rocker panel rust repair...fingers crossed.

Have a good weekend out there.
VAEV1993
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2020 11:36 am    Post subject: Re: 93 Weekender - AT - Hula Reply with quote

A slight update in look for the van with some later model EV wheels...

Hah, the lighting in this photo sure does make the paint look nicer than it really is.
VAEV1993
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 9:27 am    Post subject: Re: 93 Weekender - AT - Hula Reply with quote

Have not updated this in quite a while, but I am still around. Van has been running really well. Recently made a few updates.

Pulled the gauge cluster apart to touch up the solder on the typical points since I was having temp gauge and fuel gauge issues. Was also getting a blinking coolant light, but no issues.

Also replaced the voltage stabilizer. Now my gauges work great, and no blinking coolant light.

About four years ago now, I refinished the top that was in bad shape and went the Monstaliner approach. I really liked the material and protection, but decided I was not happy with the black. At the time I was hesitant to try a color, not being an experienced painter/mixer. In retrospect, I should have just gone for it.

I was never quite happy with the way it looked and felt, and yeah, it did get pretty hot to the touch in the summer sitting in the sun.

I wanted to go a different color, white or maybe trying to match the original color, but Monstaliner is way out on product right now due to supply issues. I decided to go with the Interlux Brightside that a lot of the Vanagon folks use, and just go white. A friend of mine locally had painted his Vanagon top that way recently with good success.

After two coats of the Pre-Kote and three coats of the Brightside, I'm very happy with how it turned out. It has a textured look to it with the Monstaliner beneath it, but I kinda like it. Certainly helps to hide imperfections in my DIY paint job.

And...out in the wild.

Still have a little rocker rust to tend to sometime...and blend doors....the list continues.
snowsyncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2021 6:19 am    Post subject: Re: 93 Weekender - AT - Hula Reply with quote

Just seeing this thread now.

I love the red van -- I have one just like it!

Sorry to hear it is for parts though. Where I live, that is showroom quality.

RonC
VAEV1993
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2021 12:23 pm    Post subject: Re: 93 Weekender - AT - Hula Reply with quote

Thanks! Good to see your red van.

It was running and driving well when I put it away but the rust is kind of beyond being manageable! The pictures make it look a lot better than real life. It went through several of my friends for quite I while before ending up with me.

The 5 cylinder, 5 speed tin top really is a fun driving machine. If I could find a nice clean one it would be great to have.

Cheers.
VAEV1993
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 10:19 am    Post subject: Re: 93 Weekender - AT - Hula Reply with quote

So, I have had the stuff to put a roof rack up on the van for well over a year, and finally found the time and courage to do so.

I found the towers and bars used locally, and was able to get hold of the widebody brackets a while ago. It took me a while to get them even over a year ago, since everyone was out of stock.

For now I have installed it in the "flipped bracket" style that a fair number of others here have done to reduce the overall height.

Was able to mount our cargo box up there too to check that out and have it available for this season.

Took Hula out up the steep dirt road to access an area here on Second Mountain where my friends and I get out to boulder.

volkybus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2022 8:58 am    Post subject: Re: 93 Weekender - AT - Hula Reply with quote

Thanks for all your information. The starting when warm problem is mine also but...on my 95 Jetta..& it happened when the failed Ecu was changed in Jan...thanks as this car is my other. Car here in Puerto Rico..but back to my 93 Eurovan..Where did U find the Mass Airflow sencer?? I've changed and checked everything elso out so I'm ready to try that out. Mine fouls out the plgs thnx Bill in PR
snowsyncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2022 10:53 am    Post subject: Re: 93 Weekender - AT - Hula Reply with quote

volkybus wrote:
Thanks for all your information. The starting when warm problem is mine also but...on my 95 Jetta..& it happened when the failed Ecu was changed in Jan...thanks as this car is my other. Car here in Puerto Rico..but back to my 93 Eurovan..Where did U find the Mass Airflow sencer?? I've changed and checked everything elso out so I'm ready to try that out. Mine fouls out the plgs thnx Bill in PR

volkybus there is another DIY thread just below about replacing the MAP sensor. Says that Motorola part is NLA and hard to find, and suggests a Bosch replacement.

Here:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=754716

RonC
VAEV1993
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 6:45 am    Post subject: Re: 93 Weekender - AT - Hula Reply with quote

snowsyncro wrote:
volkybus wrote:

volkybus there is another DIY thread just below about replacing the MAP sensor. Says that Motorola part is NLA and hard to find, and suggests a Bosch replacement.

Here:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=754716

RonC

Sorry for the delay, was out camping with the van this weekend!

I have sourced two of the BOSCH units via ebay. The first one for my replacement, and I also bought another recently for a backup ECU that I have. This is where I bought my latest one from which is a good price.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/393617388567?epid=27039055665&hash=item5ba56cb417:g:oZ8AAOSwLu5hXxXe
VAEV1993
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 7:03 am    Post subject: Re: 93 Weekender - AT - Hula Reply with quote

Got out with the family for the weekend at our local fun-zone Stokesville Campground. If you are close to this area and are into mountain biking then it is the spot for you.
http://stokesvillecampground.com/

Spent the hot parts of the day with the kids at this swimming hole on the North River. Both my wife and I were able to rotate getting in a bike ride and watching kids.

A quick shot rolling out from camp. A little storm blew in just as we had almost finished packing up. Hid in the van to wait it out. Had to a do a quick trash and inventory check before rolling out - snapped this picture...

Here is a photo of the past camp stop at the Stokesville store for treats for the ride home. Shark gummies was my daughter's choice this time.

We don't really all sleep in it as a family - too many car seats to move multiple times. We currently operate out of a big tent but use the van as a good space for baby naps, storage, and hiding from a pop-up storm. Sure is easy to load it up and get out there.

Had a little hiccup on the way out. When driving up a hill and kicked down to third gear, there were a few moments where suddenly the van lost power and the RPMs fell way down. The engine remained running each time, and this only occurred momentarily, and then everything came back.

Where we were going was only 25 minutes away, so we pressed on and the issue did not return. Overall it happened on three occasions. On a few remaining hills heading out there, I shifted into third manually which did not have a problem. Whether it has anything to do with that, I don't know yet. The issue did not reappear on our drive home....well....something else to study on...if I ever figure that out, I will report back.
TheOneTrueQuux
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 8:24 am    Post subject: Re: 93 Weekender - AT - Hula Reply with quote

Has the fuel pump ever been replaced? This is sort of what they do when the wear out.
VAEV1993
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 8:35 am    Post subject: Re: 93 Weekender - AT - Hula Reply with quote

TheOneTrueQuux wrote:
Has the fuel pump ever been replaced? This is sort of what they do when the wear out.

Thanks - to my knowledge it certainly has not. I was wondering if maybe that was something to consider. Thank you.
TheOneTrueQuux
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 11:23 am    Post subject: Re: 93 Weekender - AT - Hula Reply with quote

VAEV1993 wrote:
TheOneTrueQuux wrote:

Thanks - to my knowledge it certainly has not. I was wondering if maybe that was something to consider. Thank you.

Also, while you're in there, the Main fuel injection relay and fuel pump relays are cheap, and can sometimes wear out such that they don't quit, but have high resistance, which leads to low voltage powering the ECU or pump.

I got the relays from RockAuto, and the pump (VDO brand, which is quite good) from AutoHausAz.
VAEV1993
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2022 6:13 am    Post subject: Re: 93 Weekender - AT - Hula Reply with quote

Well - closing the loop here on this thread. We've passed this van along to a new owner. It has been a fun project for me, and we have some great family times with it. I've enjoyed being part of the Eurovan group here, and appreciate all of the support and information.

Here is one last photo of me with Hula and a picture of her leaving with the new owner!

I'm sure I will still read and post around on the forums, and may own another van in the future. Cheers!

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: