Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Off road modifications for your bus FAQ
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 73, 74, 75 ... 90, 91, 92  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kombijeepman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 6:13 am    Post subject: Re: Off road modifications for your bus Reply with quote

hrtm wrote:
My personal favorite off-road Bay ....

https://www.youtube.com/embed/WBXRlmnSdL0

video claims it's a stock '74 w/ modified transmission (how so??) & obviously some AT/MT tires.

wish I could find more detail on what changes were made to the transmission (Peloquin diff perhaps?).

Hi there, that is my bus! Just saw your post. Back then it had a 4.38:1 1st gear, stock 2nd, 3rd and 4th and stock open diff with 31" BFG mud terrains rear and 215 75 15 BFG all terrains front. Suspension is lifted 1"
Jim Bear
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 6:33 am    Post subject: Re: Off road modifications for your bus FAQ Reply with quote

Back then? What is the kombi looking like these days?
'85 Vanagon Westy - George In the Stable 2020-?/'74 Weekender - Ophelia In the Stable 2007- ?/'69 Beetle Convertible - SOLD 2017-2020/'67 Beetle - September SOLD 2013-2016 Sad /'67 SO42 Westy - Sage SOLD 1996-2001 Sad Sad/'69 Transporter - Baby Blue SOLD 1995-1995/'72 Westy - Nelly - SOLD 1990-1995--STOP FRACKING
Kombijeepman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 7:21 am    Post subject: Re: Off road modifications for your bus FAQ Reply with quote

I should have mentioned it is actually a '79, the gearbox is an 091 and the engine is a 2 litre type 4 with Kadrons. It still looks pretty much the same today give or take a bit more rust and a few battle scars but gearbox now has a 5.38:1 diff, 0.85:1 top gear and a Syncro diff lock vacuum actuated. It is still my daily driver. Rear tyres are currently 30" mud terrains but I have been wanting to fit 16" tyres for a long time. 15s get too wide before they get tall; not keen to cut the body, 31's fit in the rear but that is pretty much the limit. I did run 33 10.50 15s on the rear for a while but they only cleared on the street. My current wheels are 15x7 rear and 15x6 front on stock 14" centres. I really like this look but I have not been able to find a way to have 16s that look like stock 14s and can fit the stock hub cap. I really want to fit 235 85 16s in the rear. I have a set of factory Syncro 16 inch wheels but they don't look stock so haven't gone there yet. I haven't figured out how to post pics on here yet.[/youtube]
bnko
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 12:27 am    Post subject: Re: Off road modifications for your bus FAQ Reply with quote

Here is my 1973 Baywindow , V6 powered (ford cologne from an old bronco) .

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

[/img]
frenchymanxter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 3:41 am    Post subject: Re: Off road modifications for your bus FAQ Reply with quote

bnko wrote:
Here is my 1973 Baywindow , V6 powered (ford cologne from an old bronco) .

[/img]

love your bay... Dancing
inhabor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Off road modifications for your bus FAQ Reply with quote

Now I have the power to go off road.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ImAddicted
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 6:25 am    Post subject: Re: Off road modifications for your bus FAQ Reply with quote

inhabor wrote:

Now I have the power to go off road.

And apparently make it look nice before you leave...

Laughing
Original condition, which means something different on this forum than anywhere else!
KrisBalfe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 5:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Off road modifications for your bus FAQ Reply with quote

Oh hey.
guzzirider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 8:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Off road modifications for your bus FAQ Reply with quote

I have run General Grabber 27 x 8.5x 14 with good results. They rubbed until I did a 2" lifted spindles and cranked up rear

[/url]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
guzzirider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 8:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Off road modifications for your bus FAQ Reply with quote

I have run General Grabber 27 x 8.5x 14 with good results. They rubbed until I did a 2" lifted spindles and cranked up rear

[/url]
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 8:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Off road modifications for your bus FAQ Reply with quote

Those tires should not rub up front at stock height. You may have some broken torsion leaves.
inhabor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 5:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Off road modifications for your bus FAQ Reply with quote

Winch install and finally found out how heavy she is.

jacwri
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 5:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Off road modifications for your bus FAQ Reply with quote

Tell me I'm crazy but I may have begun solving the big issue with lifting buses: CV angle. If we could make bolt on portal axles: thus the outer cv joint would connect like 4 inches higher, we could lift way higher before the angle became a wear issue.

Obviously custom fabrication cost and all that, but why wouldn't this work? Axle comes out, connects with standard CV joint at top of portal axle, drives meshed gears directly downward (two types: one with standard direction of 091 transmissions, then one with reversed direction for subaru/other transmissions). where the bottom gear connected to the hub at the same spot the outer CV normally does.

Tell me I'm crazy and shouldn't look into this more.
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 5:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Off road modifications for your bus FAQ Reply with quote

jacwri wrote:
Tell me I'm crazy but I may have begun solving the big issue with lifting buses: CV angle. If we could make bolt on portal axles: thus the outer cv joint would connect like 4 inches higher, we could lift way higher before the angle became a wear issue.

Obviously custom fabrication cost and all that, but why wouldn't this work? Axle comes out, connects with standard CV joint at top of portal axle, drives meshed gears directly downward (two types: one with standard direction of 091 transmissions, then one with reversed direction for subaru/other transmissions). where the bottom gear connected to the hub at the same spot the outer CV normally does.

Tell me I'm crazy and shouldn't look into this more.

Myself and a few others discussed this in the split bus forums a few years ago, in an effort to gain more ground clearance. CV angle wasn't the issue there, but the same basic physics apply.

I had thought of a double roller chain system with a direct ratio, but it proved to be an issue for highway speeds.

There is an agricultural machine known as a spra-coupe. They are still built today, but when they were first developed in the 70's they used an industrial type 1 style engine with a 3 rib bus tranny. Those axles were connected to a (I think) roller chain drive system that allowed the machine to sit high above the row crops it need to spray. As I recall, the center-to-center of the CV axle and the drive axle was nearly two feet. I'll dig for a photo.
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 5:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Off road modifications for your bus FAQ Reply with quote

Here's an old spra coupe. You can just make out the high rise transfer case/portal axle thingy inside the rear wheel.

1970fun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Off road modifications for your bus FAQ Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:
Here's an old spra coupe. You can just make out the high rise transfer case/portal axle thingy inside the rear wheel.

That thing looks like the Colonial Viper spacecraft in the Battlestar Galactica Wink
airkooledchris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:18 am    Post subject: Re: Off road modifications for your bus FAQ Reply with quote

KrisBalfe wrote:

Oh hey.

How much of this is actually Vanagon?

EDIT: nevermind, I checked your gallery. The only thing I can't (and don't want to) picture is where you store the balls it took to tackle this project.

absolutely killer!
KrisBalfe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:00 am    Post subject: Re: Off road modifications for your bus FAQ Reply with quote

How much of this is actually Vanagon? Just the parts that had to be.

It actually went pretty well all things considered. If I were to do it again I think I could save myself some time and headaches... if I bump into the right syncro my wife's hightop is doomed.
jeronimovw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 11:27 am    Post subject: Re: Off road modifications for your bus FAQ Reply with quote

Hi, who at home has installed a rack and pinion on are t2
Thanks
Gubdonem
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 10:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Off road modifications for your bus Reply with quote

jokgel wrote:
How much you have on your offroad- bay?

Take a picture in the same fashion . Laughing

Is that the T2 Synchro Bus?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 73, 74, 75 ... 90, 91, 92  Next
Jump to:
Page 74 of 92

Jump to: