Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

White smoke out heat exchangers and buring oil smell...
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
74superTN
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:17 am    Post subject: White smoke out heat exchangers and buring oil smell... Reply with quote

So once I complete a long hot drive, let's say for an hour or so, my engine will start smoking out of the heat exchangers and it smells like burning oil. I don't see any physical leaks around the valve covers or the push tubes, so this means it's going to be my rings correct?
Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:22 am    Post subject: Re: White smoke out heat exchangers and buring oil smell... Reply with quote

If it were your rings, I'd expect to see white smoke out the tailpipe. Especially on startup and under hard acceleration. Less so once it is warmed up (the rings and everything have time to heat up and expand to fit). I'm guessing it is just a small leak and is covered by tin and being re-directed. Just a hiding oil leak. Or perhaps oil in the heat exchanger from a previous leak still burning off.
Other cars: 2003 F150, 2003 Jetta GLI vr6-6sp

Sambastic: adj; the quality of being nit picky, elitist, expecting everyone to do things the way they believe is best with no regard to situation, "sambastic"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:42 am    Post subject: Re: White smoke out heat exchangers and buring oil smell... Reply with quote

The heater boxes are likely full of old oil, very common problem. I like to just remove the accordion tubes and seal off the ductwork heading forward when I get a new van and let time clean the heater boxes up. Sadly most any oil leaking onto the heater boxes from anywhere above them on the engine seems to be able to work is way inside. This includes the valve cover gaskets, the pushrod tube seal, the distributor o-ring, the oil pressure switch, the oil cooler seals, and other sources as well.
74superTN
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:13 am    Post subject: Re: White smoke out heat exchangers and buring oil smell... Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
The heater boxes are likely full of old oil, very common problem. I like to just remove the accordion tubes and seal off the ductwork heading forward when I get a new van and let time clean the heater boxes up. Sadly most any oil leaking onto the heater boxes from anywhere above them on the engine seems to be able to work is way inside. This includes the valve cover gaskets, the pushrod tube seal, the distributor o-ring, the oil pressure switch, the oil cooler seals, and other sources as well.

It's been like this for a few weeks now, some days more than others.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:18 pm    Post subject: Re: White smoke out heat exchangers and buring oil smell... Reply with quote

74superTN wrote:
Wildthings wrote:

It's been like this for a few weeks now, some days more than others.

If you are not getting more oil entering the boxes it will eventually clear itself. Trips with long hill climbs help. If you do still have leaks, the leaks need to be fixed or the smoke will continue indefinitely.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: