Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Stock Engine eating cam gears
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 2:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Stock Engine eating cam gears Reply with quote

Did a WWW search and found these results:

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=.24mm+VW+flywheel+shims&t=canonical&ia=products
Dwayne1m
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 6:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Stock Engine eating cam gears Reply with quote

I have a variety in sizes of shims, along with a few .24mm/.010 shims and none go that thin. I'm leaning towards taking the flywheel to a machine shop and having them shave .005 off to give me wiggle room for clearance, then if need be I can always add thicker shims to get to where I want to be.
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 6:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Stock Engine eating cam gears Reply with quote

Two shims is ok.
You should not check the end play on an assembled engine with no shims, there is no way to know if the flywheel is touching the bearing, OR if some other part has hit first.
Dwayne1m
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Stock Engine eating cam gears Reply with quote

modok wrote:
Two shims is ok.
You should not check the end play on an assembled engine with no shims, there is no way to know if the flywheel is touching the bearing, OR if some other part has hit first.

I tried it with the 3 shims and it wouldn't budge. I felt no movement at all, so then I decided to try with no shims and attached the dial indicator to get an exact measurement so I would have an idea of end play. I even measured end play without the flywheel on and it was the same. I don't have the pistons on yet so it's easy to push the crank back and forth. I remember a topic about going with 2 shims and the consensus seemed to be a bad idea that the 3 shims were needed for the specific reason that 3 shims create less friction then 2. If I was certain that 2 shims would work and not cause me any more headaches then what this engine has already given me, I would go with 2 shims in a heartbeat.
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Stock Engine eating cam gears Reply with quote

I hate to say it but this is another one of those things that can be figured before the case gets closed up. But since you are beyond that point your idea of taking some off the flywheel would work. Not sure about using 2 shims never had to do that. I suspect bearing is made a little too thick causing loss of clearance.
Dwayne1m
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Stock Engine eating cam gears Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
I hate to say it but this is another one of those things that can be figured before the case gets closed up. But since you are beyond that point your idea of taking some off the flywheel would work. Not sure about using 2 shims never had to do that. I suspect bearing is made a little too thick causing loss of clearance.

I just figured it's the same case, flywheel & crank so the same 3 shims that measured .030 SHOULD work. It does sound like the thrust bearing is on thicker side which would prevent proper endplay.
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 9:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Stock Engine eating cam gears Reply with quote

It is less confusing to set the end play before assembling the engine.

To check the end play with the engine assembled, used two thin shims, because the crankshaft clearance without the flywheel may be as low as .020

Will two shims work ok? yes.

Consensus? Wink
I don't worry about that.
Dwayne1m
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:34 am    Post subject: Re: Stock Engine eating cam gears Reply with quote

Did the 20 minute break-in on Sunday, then did a 6-7 mile drive yesterday and all seems well so far. Going to change the oil, and check the valves and I'll give it a go from there.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:34 am    Post subject: Re: Stock Engine eating cam gears Reply with quote

Thanks for the update! Will keep fingers crossed....
Dwayne1m
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Stock Engine eating cam gears Reply with quote

Changed the oil and.....more aluminum. Sad I flushed everything real well before putting it back together. I can only hope it's residual and/or normal wear of things breaking in. The oil was much darker then what I think it should be for being run only about an hour. After changing the oil I took it for about a 25 mile run. It runs like a champ, but for how long is the question.
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Stock Engine eating cam gears Reply with quote

I was hoping you solved it.

Was it just a bit of a sheen in the oil? Or more?
Dwayne1m
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Stock Engine eating cam gears Reply with quote

You could see on the oil sump cover a silver sludge.
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Stock Engine eating cam gears Reply with quote

Dwayne1m wrote:

Yeah that's not a good sign Crying or Very sad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Stock Engine eating cam gears Reply with quote

Pruneman99 wrote:
Dwayne1m wrote:

Yeah that's not a good sign Crying or Very sad

Did you use the same oil cooler? Did you remove oil gallery plugs and really clean case? Might just be residual contamination from before. I’d buy some cheap 10w30 and flush it several more times. It’s not uncommon to see some stuff after first run especially if you aren’t running full flow filtering. Don’t throw in towel
Dwayne1m
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Stock Engine eating cam gears Reply with quote

I removed both pressure relief plugs and flushed it the best I could for quite a long time. I used the same oil cooler and flushed that several times as well. I'm not using an oil filter. Still the stock filtering system. I'm using Valvoline Racing Oil 10W 30 which is high in zinc. Used that for the break-in and for the first oil change. Not cheap.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Stock Engine eating cam gears Reply with quote

It’s normal to see some stuff first change or two. I’m glass is half full optimist here.
Dwayne1m
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Stock Engine eating cam gears Reply with quote

I hope you're right.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Stock Engine eating cam gears Reply with quote

Hopefully you have an oil filter/pump installed.
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Stock Engine eating cam gears Reply with quote

Dwayne1m wrote:
... I'm not using an oil filter. Still the stock filtering system. ...

Cbperformance MaxiII is a big improvement over the stock screen.

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Stock Engine eating cam gears Reply with quote

There are real benefits to having a filter but I’ve built many an engine without just like VW. So Without the filter I’d buy some name brand but not fancy or expensive 10w30 and flush it several times. It should settle down after 2 or 3 changes. What have you got to lose?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8

Jump to: