Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1993 Eurovan Coolant Leak, Please Help
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
gratefulVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:26 pm    Post subject: 1993 Eurovan Coolant Leak, Please Help Reply with quote

Long Time Lover of "The Samba", first time post here...

My beloved Caribbean Green 1993 Eurovan has a coolant leak...
sorry to sound like a broken record, but I reviewed a lot of forums on here with no luck...
This van is a well maintained California vehicle, or has been most of its life, until my recent relocation to South Carolina. I drove the van across the country with no issues, and no leaks. Had it inspected by a VW mechanic halfway along the way and everything checked out.
Now, I get to SC, it sits for about a month in a garage. I start it up today for a quick ride and when I stop again, a ton of coolant leaked out!?

I removed the belly pan and started to look around for what it could be, as I thought maybe a critter or something got to a hose.

It seems like the coolant is leaking from a screw, this screw is on the hose going into the engine block.
In the photo, the screw has pink coolant on it.

**Does anyone know what is happening here, or how to fix this leak**?

Thank you, any question, LMK

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Gruppe B
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:38 pm    Post subject: Re: 1993 Eurovan Coolant Leak, Please Help Reply with quote

On my 1992 Eurovan the same part developed a crack and was leaking coolant. The part was still available from VW 3 years ago and came with new orings to seal against the block. Not sure if the orings for the senders came with it too...
subdewd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:38 pm    Post subject: Re: 1993 Eurovan Coolant Leak, Please Help Reply with quote

Pull that flange off and replace the o ring between it and the head. Or better yet just replace the flange
Gruppe B
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:41 pm    Post subject: Re: 1993 Eurovan Coolant Leak, Please Help Reply with quote

Make sure to top up the coolant and then start it up and look for leaks to make sure that this is what is causing the serious leak.

It should be easy to see, make sure to watch coolant levels when checking.
gratefulVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:53 pm    Post subject: Re: 1993 Eurovan Coolant Leak, Please Help Reply with quote

Gruppe B wrote:
On my 1992 Eurovan the same part developed a crack and was leaking coolant. The part was still available from VW 3 years ago and came with new orings to seal against the block. Not sure if the orings for the senders came with it too...

THANKS SO MUCH!
So that little Flange box that connects to hose to the block needs to be replaced and re sealed mostly?
I will further diagnose and make sure that is where the leak is coming from.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:05 pm    Post subject: Re: 1993 Eurovan Coolant Leak, Please Help Reply with quote

Everywhere you see the white residue has been seeping coolant

I would replace the whole plastic manifold and all the Orings for the sensors.

Dont get the metal one - thats to relieve fools of their money.

You should consider a cooling group refresh - hoses, water pump, Orings if you want to drive the car on a preventative maintenance basis, rather than run to fail. Both models are valid, you choose based on the consequence of down time in your personal situation.

Well maintained and your picture don't exactly match too well, btw.
gratefulVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:08 pm    Post subject: Re: 1993 Eurovan Coolant Leak, Please Help Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
Everywhere you see the white residue has been seeping coolant

I would replace the whole plastic manifold and all the Orings for the sensors.

Dont get the metal one - thats to relieve fools of their money.

You should consider a cooling group refresh - hoses, water pump, Orings if you want to drive the car on a preventative maintenance basis, rather than run to fail. Both models are valid, you choose based on the consequence of down time in your personal situation.

http://www.gowesty.com/product/cooling-system/24799/coolant-flange?v=

Is this the "whole plastic manifold" you are referring to?
I see some mention of sensors being involved in this flange replacement...is anyone aware of how involved this is?

thanks!
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:20 pm    Post subject: Re: 1993 Eurovan Coolant Leak, Please Help Reply with quote

You have to pull those clips and pull out each sensor from the old manifold and put them in the new. Its about a 3/10 on the difficulty scale

I think you get new Orings in the manifold, don't reuse the old ones.

The purple stuff on one of the bolts is from someone bodgering a leak fix - the flange should seal on the ring without sealant or other crap. That could be the bad part of this job - what you find underneath that.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: