Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

“Mullet The Bug” a bugs story.
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
AlmostHeavenWV_VW Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:22 pm    Post subject: Re: “Mullet The Bug” a bugs story. Reply with quote

Xevin wrote:

Indeed.
It’s refreshing to see someone who cares about thier craft and workmanship. Not just because we bros. It’s just how he is. He treats the bug clients like his Porsche clients. I’m fortunate to have friends like him.

Always good to have a guy who cares about the work at hand. My Bug took a bit longer than expected at the BugShop too. The end results were worth it though. Engine is solid and strong, transmission shifts smooth.

Now I just hop in, pick up Ms. AlmostHeaven, and we go cruising out the windy roads without a care in the world. Very Happy
Bosch DVDA 205AJ Distributor
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:44 pm    Post subject: Re: “Mullet The Bug” a bugs story. Reply with quote

Mullet

Went out to the Dub Ranch last night. On my way there I get a text from Xatie who had no idea I was going out there. The text says.

“Am I really just never going to get the bug? Seriously just tell me. Because it literally puts a knot in my stomach when I think about it.”

Embarassed Geez, I feel rotten. It’s been a F’ing year. Oh I have plenty of excuses. Like I work on weekends, my buddies shop is 40 minutes away, my buddy has other clients that pay, Xatie and I live two hours apart and I go up there mid week, we spend time screwing off, various camp trips, I’m lazy, work on the buses, yard work, etc etc etc. But she’s right. It’s been way to long. I hate disappointing her. Feeling rotten and bummed out. I dicked it. I should have just bought a crate engine and slapped it in the there. She doesn’t care about OEM parts, painted engine compartment, and all the other details. She just wants to roll. Sure hope I can wow her with a proper performing bug.

So. What’s left. Install tarboard, engine compartment seals, rebuild CVs, paint heater boxes. All which I will do Saturday. Wait for new heads to arrive, more mock ups, assemble long block and I’m sure other things. Every time I think we close. Something comes up.

I have done a terrific job of “Over promising and under delivering” Guess I’ve learned more then just the internals of a Type 1 engine on this build. Confused

On the heads. We couldn’t find anything locally that I liked or suitable for this build. So I did some shopping. I went with Roy’s MOFOCO stock 040 heads. He took my builders info and set them up for me. They should be in the mail this week. I went with Roy for a couple of reasons. His price was inline with my budget, he interacts with Samba members, Everybody pisses on China products why not support Local, and he’s always been good to me.

There’s Mullet, shrouded in my shame next to the gorgeous red bug.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

My bro filing in some pinholes in the heater boxes getting ready for paint.

Harvested some cylinder head tin deflectors. Suprise GEX omitted them from the heads on the old engine but I had a few VW heads that all did.

Play list of the night Wink

Link

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:44 pm    Post subject: Re: “Mullet The Bug” a bugs story. Reply with quote

I'm going to reach out to Katie with some aggressive, mean, nasty divorce lawyers phone numbers.

I hope you like the bus and enjoy living it it as it's all you'll have left when the lawyers are done.

Your welcome!

Wink

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 4:36 pm    Post subject: Re: “Mullet The Bug” a bugs story. Reply with quote

Well only had a half day Saturday. I encouraged my buddy to join his family at the pumpkin patch festival. Family time way more important then bro time working on cars. But it was fairly productive.

We rebuilt CVs. I thought we were going to just slap on new joints. No no no, We rebuilt them. I was skeptical that we would find pitting and would need new ones. But no. They were near mint VW stamped. Just perfect. So why did we even bother in the first place. I had a torn boot. And since we replacing. Might as well clean up all the CVs.

So tarboard. I have a replacement kit from WW. But I wanted to save the sides. The material is just so much more beefy and all the contours and cut outs already done. When cleaning one corner came off. I used commercial Duct tape an HVAC tech gave me and put it back together. I did all the other corners too. Why not. Pictures not so good but they look great. Hope it works

The bug didn’t have a stinger/spike/pointy thing? to keep the hood locked from inside. Had no idea how that latch worked. What a little PITA. But it works great. Pops up just like it should.

Should get some more time Tuesday night and next Saturday hopefully heads show up this week.

Clatter wrote:

SGKent wrote:
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 10:47 am    Post subject: Re: “Mullet The Bug” a bugs story. Reply with quote

Got some little things done last night. Or should I say redone. My buddy just wasn’t satisfied with the shroud and tin that I painted. The PO really made a chunky mess of them when he painted them. So when I cleaned them up, I half assed it and focused on the tin that would be seen. You cant see a lot of the shroud with that Clunky air filter box anyways and the job I did looked pretty good. But it was bugging my bro. He took them to his other shop and blasted them clean. Boy what a difference. Shocked

And the heads came in Dancing

Probably not going to do much with the engine tomorrow. Sounds like he’s going to lock himself up in the “Engine Room of Solitude” Monday if all goes well. So Saturday, going to replace rear window seal. Replace right exterior door handle rubber. Replace rear brake lines. Clean up some engine wiring (Blue butt splices drives my buddy crazy). Install tarboard. Overall get this bug ready for engine installation.

Clatter wrote:

SGKent wrote:
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 11:00 am    Post subject: Re: “Mullet The Bug” a bugs story. Reply with quote

Hey Kevin,

The tin looks fantastic. Good on your bro to have a flash of OCD and do them right.

Give us some feedback on the MOFO heads. I hear good things about them and it certainly doesn't hurt that were not bolting China parts to our engines. Wink

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 10:27 am    Post subject: Re: “Mullet The Bug” a bugs story. Reply with quote

Ok Clatter. You satisfied now! Laughing

Clatter wrote:

SGKent wrote:
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 6:48 pm    Post subject: Re: “Mullet The Bug” a bugs story. Reply with quote

Thermostat?
Flaps?

Razz

What’s That Noise?!?
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 10:17 am    Post subject: Re: “Mullet The Bug” a bugs story. Reply with quote

“Honey, I really want to make sure we don’t have to do this again”.

“Making sure that we only have to do this once”.

“Just really want to be 100% sure everything is right on it”.

“You don’t want to be broken down on the side of the road, right?”

“This way, it will last for many years”

“NOW is the time - when it’s all apart”

I use these techniques to justify a big stroker crank or flowed heads or something,
But the application is the same... Wink

If there was ONE thing that I would want for my girl to have in her driver,
It would be a working T-stat and flaps.
When she gets in and starts it up, without taking the time to really warm the motor up correctly, it will still run well, and make heat, and keep the windshield clear...

Make doubly sure that heat-riser tube, that comes from the exhaust, up across the manifold, under the carb, is clean and clear.
That’s a free fix right there -no money expenditure required.

With earlier cars, with pea-shooters, (like yours?) you have to stick the little chrome muffler tips in just the exact amount.
It’s in the Bible..
If the tips are the perfect depth, then the exhaust is vacuumed thru the heat riser,
It flows well and good, to make proper heat, and doesn’t get clogged with soot.
So there’s another free fix for you.. Cool

Keep at it, brother!

Doing the right thing ain’t always easy.
And especially isn’t always obvious to the fairer species.

ALL of those crate motors are GEX as far as I’m concerned.

And,
None of them are gonna last or work right if they ain’t dressed down properly,
Which you’re gonna have to do anyway!

Sucks how these days, the cars are so old, and so many corners cut,
That all of the shortcuts that can be taken, have have been taken.
Now,
All of the hard things to do are all needing done;
Not just the easy/obvious, but the hard and hidden..

Chin up!
Keep at it...!

You’re building a keeper, for a keeper.
(Try that one on her, see if it flies.. Laughing )

What’s That Noise?!?
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 2:18 pm    Post subject: Re: “Mullet The Bug” a bugs story. Reply with quote

Clatter wrote:
“Honey, I really want to make sure we don’t have to do this again”.

“Making sure that we only have to do this once”.

“Just really want to be 100% sure everything is right on it”.

“You don’t want to be broken down on the side of the road, right?”

“This way, it will last for many years”

“NOW is the time - when it’s all apart”

“Yes, I think adopting a Pot Belly pig is a great idea”

I use these techniques to justify a big stroker crank or flowed heads or something,
But the application is the same... Wink

Fixed that for you Clatter Twisted Evil

Clatter wrote:

SGKent wrote:
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 4:19 pm    Post subject: Re: “Mullet The Bug” a bugs story. Reply with quote

Trying to do my due diligence to get all the cooling tins in place. I ran into an issue with the Cylinder head deflector tin. It didn’t fit the Mofoco heads. I had asked Roy if “All” The tin and thermostat gear would work with the heads or have to modified. Well this one needs to be notched to fit the taller fin.

This morning I emailed Roy. He said the deflector tin was not necessary with his heads. In the bin they go. No biggy. I appreciate Roy responding back to me so quickly with any questions I have had. Even before I was shopping for heads.

Tarboard install came out great. So much so that my buddy is going to blast all the tin and pulleys for fresh paint.

Yesterday’s play list. Dee Snider’s House of Hair Radio .\m/ Laughing

Link

Clatter wrote:

SGKent wrote:
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 9:27 pm    Post subject: Re: “Mullet The Bug” a bugs story. Reply with quote

Popcorn

2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDi 6 speed manual

206-841-7324
[email protected]
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 1:31 am    Post subject: Re: “Mullet The Bug” a bugs story. Reply with quote

I have an odd schedule this week at work. Can’t get out to Dub Ranch for awhile. I took inventory of little bits I wanted to procure. Not necessary for engine rebuild but why not since this rebuild has turned into semi restoration. Bug will never be a show car. But dang it. I enjoy the thrill of the hunt, finding parts. So Sunday I made a list of random stuff I’d like to find. I combed through the WW catalog to place an order for some bits and stuff to find at the local ACVW shops that have collections of reclaimed OEM parts. Today I was driving past

https://www.averysaircooled.com/

Stopped in and rattled my list off. Knowing full well they wouldn’t have it all. Here was my list.

Misc Bug things.

-3 quantity Bosch SVDA distributor dust shield covers
-Older German Bosch distributor cap and rotor
-Working 74 Speedo. Or replacement speedo glass and gears to fix odometer.
-Rear apron body plug.
-OEM Jack
-Left rear Hella German 74 taillight lens
-Yellow Bosch repop coil label sticker
-3 quantity fresh air tube rubber grommets
-Hood release ( in glove box) plastic cover
-Split window bus parcel tray. Fat lip or skinny lip.
-Fresh air hose rubber to tin thingys.
-Pick up Bluetooth Stereo head unit.
-Passenger interior door pull
-Extra speedo bulbs
-Clips for plug cables.

And this happened. Didn’t need WW after all. Shocked

Stereo I got at local car audio shop. The only thing on my list Avery’s didn’t have was the old school distributor cap and rotor but Bill is going to send me one. Right? Twisted Evil Laughing

Hey, what’s with the white distributor dust cover? It’s stamped Bosch Germany
1230 500 096. Same as the black ones. Think

I drop the the Avery’s link because I want you guys to support them. Sure I’d like to horde all their parts to myself Wink but I need to keep the locals in business. Some of you don’t have the luxury of rolling up to a FLAPS to get this kind of stuff. But you can always call or email them. Just use code “Xevin” for free gift with purchase Wink (I’m kidding)

Clatter wrote:

SGKent wrote:
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 6:42 am    Post subject: Re: “Mullet The Bug” a bugs story. Reply with quote

https://www.averysaircooled.com/
Has always been my "go to" when it comes to OEM parts. I've been going there for well over twenty years. Even when they were on hyway 4 years ago.

If you get to know the staff. They just point you to the pile of parts that you are looking for. Then you get to select the level of quality that suits your needs.
I was there early last spring for a set of sled tins I intended to modify(J tubes). I was shown the shop with all the tins. Fairly well organized, and selected a set that were dented and in need of a good cleaning. Perfect for my application.

Avery's ships world wide. So for you folks that are searching for that hard to find part. Give avery's aircooled a shot. They may have what your looking for.

Great post Xevin!

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
AlmostHeavenWV_VW Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:17 am    Post subject: Re: “Mullet The Bug” a bugs story. Reply with quote

Xevin wrote:
-
And this happened. Didn’t need WW after all. Shocked

So nice of them to give you a free beer with purchase, Xevin Wink
Bosch DVDA 205AJ Distributor
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 6:52 pm    Post subject: Re: “Mullet The Bug” a bugs story. Reply with quote

Thermostat?

Flaps?

And assorted linkage..?

Wink

What’s That Noise?!?
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 8:45 pm    Post subject: Re: “Mullet The Bug” a bugs story. Reply with quote

Clatter wrote:
Thermostat?

Flaps?

And assorted linkage..?

Wink

If you're asking me. No! But I probably should.
But my case does not have the stud to mount the thermostat bracket. So that's an issue.

If you're asking Xevin. I'm sure he's gonna install them.

If you're wondering if Avery's has them. Yes they do. Give them a call.

Good Luck.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 11:52 pm    Post subject: Re: “Mullet The Bug” a bugs story. Reply with quote

Photo dump from my buddy.

“No leakage between cylinders and heads. Some past valves but normal till we run it and get the valves to seat. Feels and looks good so far. Next I am gonna disassemble the rocker shafts and set them up.”

Clatter wrote:

SGKent wrote:
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 4:09 am    Post subject: Re: “Mullet The Bug” a bugs story. Reply with quote

Dang, it takes juevos to run leakdown tests on a virgin engine. I prefer the "ignorance is bliss" approach, and just try to dot my i's and cross my t's…

You're going to have a startup party right? I mean, give it a cam break in, oil change/valve adjust, and Xatie should be doing burnouts right off the bat. Cool
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 2:07 pm    Post subject: Re: “Mullet The Bug” a bugs story. Reply with quote

I’m on vacation. This old fuck is about to turn fitty this week and his younger wife turns another year as well. My buddy blasted ALL THE TIN and gave me some homework. I need some old skool hip hop for this yo Cool
$$ bill y’all

Link

Clatter wrote:

SGKent wrote:
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
Jump to:
Page 5 of 15

Jump to: