Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Yet another WBX oil drain time-sert fix thread
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
boxer74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:06 am    Post subject: Yet another WBX oil drain time-sert fix thread Reply with quote

My newly rebuilt 2.1 WBX has stripped oil drain threads. I've got the Time-sert 1415C kit on order with 9.4mm inserts. From reviewing old threads, it looks like if the counterbore tool is used until it bottoms out, it results in the insert being too deep. See first pic below. Looks like somebody else made a custom tool to prevent this from happening. See second pic below. Has anybody come up with a way using the supplied time-sert counter bore tool to prevent this from happening. I suppose you would need to stop short before bottoming out but how to ensure it is the correct depth for a flush installation. I have never done this type of work before so want to make sure I get it right.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

stormforge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:17 am    Post subject: Re: Yet another WBX oil drain time-sert fix thread Reply with quote

I've done a few of these and noticed the same issue. My approach was to just go slowly and check frequently to make sure I wasn't too deep.

The timesert is a great solution but there is another issue to be aware of -- from a post a few years ago:

There is a bit of a "bug" I think in the timesert installation process. The tool which flares the insert for a tight fit is the same one which is used to install the insert into the newly tapped hole you've made. The danger here is that if the insert doesn't screw smoothly into the new hole (for example if it binds on a little chip from the tapping) then you risk flaring the insert before it is fully seated in into the shoulder recess you've cut.

My approach was to thread a 14x1.5 nut onto the insert tool to hold the insert in place on the tool while it is completely seated into the new hole. Then take the nut off and run the tool through the insert to flare the threads and lock it in.

-Bill
'89 Syncro
boxer74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:27 am    Post subject: Re: Yet another WBX oil drain time-sert fix thread Reply with quote

stormforge wrote:
I've done a few of these and noticed the same issue. My approach was to just go slowly and check frequently to make sure I wasn't too deep.

The timesert is a great solution but there is another issue to be aware of -- from a post a few years ago:

There is a bit of a "bug" I think in the timesert installation process. The tool which flares the insert for a tight fit is the same one which is used to install the insert into the newly tapped hole you've made. The danger here is that if the insert doesn't screw smoothly into the new hole (for example if it binds on a little chip from the tapping) then you risk flaring the insert before it is fully seated in into the shoulder recess you've cut.

My approach was to thread a 14x1.5 nut onto the insert tool to hold the insert in place on the tool while it is completely seated into the new hole. Then take the nut off and run the tool through the insert to flare the threads and lock it in.

-Bill
'89 Syncro

And how are you measuring the depth when you check frequently? By holding the insert up to the countersink?

As for the nut trick, that's a good idea. To ensure I understand correctly, you spin on the nut and then the insert and tighten the nut down onto the top of the insert while on the tool. Then drive the insert in. The nut allows you to overcome any chips and allows the insert to full seat?
stormforge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:43 am    Post subject: Re: Yet another WBX oil drain time-sert fix thread Reply with quote

Yup -- I just eyeball the insert depth -- it certainly doesn't need to be perfect, if you end up a tiny bit high/low it won't make any difference.

For the nut that's right -- the idea is to prevent the tool from starting to flare the insert until you're ready (which is when you take the nut off).

Best,
-Bill
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:07 am    Post subject: Re: Yet another WBX oil drain time-sert fix thread Reply with quote

No experience on the oil drain fix, but worth noting that if you insert it too deep it would prevent the last of the oil from draining by having a bit of the insert protruding up proud of the oil pan inside.
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
boxer74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 7:42 am    Post subject: Re: Yet another WBX oil drain time-sert fix thread Reply with quote

Just completed this yesterday and there seems to still be a wee bit of oil seepage. The time-sert is not 100% perfectly perpendicular to the engine case, but it's close. Perhaps at the factory torque of 18 ft-lbs with a tubular copper crush washer, it didn't crush enough to seal over the outer threads on the time-sert. I also forgot to add red loctite.

This morning, I torqued it even more to 36 ft-lbs (same as factory spec on my newer vehicles with steel oil pans) to see if that would seal better.

If not, my next step may be to try the nylon washers that have been discussed by tencentlife. I hope the fact that the time-sert is not totally perpendicular will not be an issue. It's not off by very much at all. When I used the tap guide, I made sure to keep it level with the case, so not sure how it ended up being a tiny bit off. Hard to keep it perfect when working on the ground under the engine.

Hopefully I haven't just created a major issue for my van. Thoughts and input appreciated. Thanks.
mikemtnbike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 7:49 am    Post subject: Re: Yet another WBX oil drain time-sert fix thread Reply with quote

My timesert fix weeps the littlest bit itself. Like, less than a 1/4 qt between oil changes- and this is combined with my very slightly weeping oil pump cover.

So, my input is I decided to not worry about that, its a lot better than a stripped drain plug hole. I will be attemping to reseal the oil pump cover sometime this next year, but I'm going to live with the drain plug as is except will try a different washer at next oil change.
boxer74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 7:54 am    Post subject: Re: Yet another WBX oil drain time-sert fix thread Reply with quote

Seems we're not the only ones with this issue:

https://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e39-m5-e52-z8-di...-plug.html
featherfreak
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 10:13 am    Post subject: Re: Yet another WBX oil drain time-sert fix thread Reply with quote

Hey guys and gals
I’m about to give this one a go, just want to make sure I’m understanding things.
As far as using the time sert tools, use a drill to bore out and then counter sink. Once that is done use a tee handle to tap and then thread in the time sert. Is that correct?
Any particular grease to but on drill bit, etc. that works better then another?
Thanks
marcotheturbosteamengine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Yet another WBX oil drain time-sert fix thread Reply with quote

aberg83 wrote:
My newly rebuilt 2.1 WBX has stripped oil drain threads. I've got the Time-sert 1415C kit on order with 9.4mm inserts. From reviewing old threads, it looks like if the counterbore tool is used until it bottoms out, it results in the insert being too deep. See first pic below. Looks like somebody else made a custom tool to prevent this from happening. See second pic below. Has anybody come up with a way using the supplied time-sert counter bore tool to prevent this from happening. I suppose you would need to stop short before bottoming out but how to ensure it is the correct depth for a flush installation. I have never done this type of work before so want to make sure I get it right.

The last pic is mine that I time-sert all the drain plugs, I made a tool that actually uses the timesert threads as a guide and It cuts a nice new flat seat , so no mator how crooked you put the timesert in it will always seal perfectly.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: