Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

34 pict-3 will not idle
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
supdave66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:11 pm    Post subject: 34 pict-3 will not idle Reply with quote

I am at my wits end. I have tried everything I can not get my bug to idle when it’s warmed up. It runs fine until the choke kicks off, then nothing. Everything was running great a month ago and then it started stalling at stop signs and red lights. Nothing has changed and only thing I have done, was change the fuel lines.
This what I have tried.
Rebuilt carb- new everything, even float.
Checked timing
Adjusted valves
Checked for air leaks
Need the VW gods on this one.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:05 pm    Post subject: Re: 34 pict-3 will not idle Reply with quote

supdave66 wrote:
I am at my wits end. I have tried everything I can not get my bug to idle when it’s warmed up. It runs fine until the choke kicks off, then nothing.

Adjust the choke position when the engine is at operating temperature.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
bnam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:12 pm    Post subject: Re: 34 pict-3 will not idle Reply with quote

Did you try cleaning the idle jet again?
1966 Fiat 1500 Cabrio (with 1600 Twin cam)
1952 Citroen TA 11BL
supdave66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:23 am    Post subject: Re: 34 pict-3 will not idle Reply with quote

Idle jet has been cleaned twice now. The first time I took the carb off that is all I did, clean everything out real good. Second time I did a complete rebuild and hit all the jets again. I also played with the choke did nothing.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:51 am    Post subject: Re: 34 pict-3 will not idle Reply with quote

Is the carb a German Solex? Bocar? Chinese knock-off? How old is the carb? You said you checked for air leaks - did you find any?

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 4:23 am    Post subject: Re: 34 pict-3 will not idle Reply with quote

More details pls....

supdave66 wrote:
This what I have tried.
Rebuilt carb- new everything, even float. [Did this "rebuild" include soaking the carb body overnight and blowing all passages clear with 90psi compressed air?]
Checked timing [What make/model# distributor are you running? How did you set the timing (static/idle/total advance; hoses connected or plugged)?]
Adjusted valves [To what gap?]
Checked for air leaks [See below...]

My first guess from your descriptions is you have a vacuum leak somewhere. The leak is being masked while the choke is ON. When the choke turns OFF the mixture goes lean and you get rough idle.

To confirm it is a lean condition....
    Warm up the engine until the choke is OFF.
    Use the fast idle cam to keep the engine idling. Rotate the cam just enough so the engine remains running for this test.
    Place your flat hand with closed fingers over the top of the carb, sealing the opening. Cover 50% of the opening.
    Slowly slide your flat hand over the carb opening closing off more and more of the opening. This will begin to choke off the air flow.

Normally, as you start to restrict the airflow the idle rpms will slowly drop. It is the same as closing off the air-fuel mixture flowing into the engine. But if you find that the engine idle smooths out or goes UP then you have found a lean running condition (usually caused by a vacuum leak). Blocking off the air flow causes the mixture to go rich. But if the mixture is already lean from an air leak you end up balancing the mixture closer to ideal and the idle rises.

If this test suggests you have a leak try the following test to see if your throttle shaft bores are leaking....
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

With the engine idling, break out the carb cleaner and with the red straw attached spray just to the right of the red lines. The red lines highlight the throttle shaft flanges. To the right of the red line is the narrow gap between the shaft flange and the open end of the carb throttle bore. Focus your spray at this gap while you listen for the idle to change. You might even try pulling the throttle arm to the left to open the gap more.
Do the same to the opposite side of the carb.
These bores wear out over time and open a path for air to leak into the intake. Normal spraying around the carb will NOT highlight the leak. You often need to focus the spray with the straw and purposely hit the gap for any change to be heard.
If this causes the idle to change (up or down)... you have a vacuum leak at your throttle shaft. You will need to send your carb out to have the shaft bores "rebushed" to repair the worn bores.
'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}
supdave66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:53 am    Post subject: Re: 34 pict-3 will not idle Reply with quote

Very nice write up. Thank you
I will give it a shot tonight
71whitewesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:11 am    Post subject: Re: 34 pict-3 will not idle Reply with quote

My two cents and I just had the same problem with it idleing rough after warm up and wanting to stall at stops signs etc. my issue was a barley noticeable vacuum leak at the dp manifold gasket. Replaced the gasket and it’s good as new again.
1969 Tucker Sno cat 542
2017 VW Alltrac
71 tin top stock 1600 DP (project but runs)
Twin 71 White Westy, Bus 2, that I pulled from a 15 year slumber in a dry eastern WA field in 2015.
1966 Sundial Camper "Boomer"
JaimeReyes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 4:28 pm    Post subject: Re: 34 pict-3 will not idle Reply with quote

71whitewesty wrote:
My two cents and I just had the same problem with it idleing rough after warm up and wanting to stall at stops signs etc. my issue was a barley noticeable vacuum leak at the dp manifold gasket. Replaced the gasket and it’s good as new again.

i had this same experience but my volume control screw had a torn o ring so air was getting in. replaced the o ring and all was well again.
bnam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:10 pm    Post subject: Re: 34 pict-3 will not idle Reply with quote

Timing, dwell all checked?
1966 Fiat 1500 Cabrio (with 1600 Twin cam)
1952 Citroen TA 11BL
supdave66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:17 pm    Post subject: Re: 34 pict-3 will not idle Reply with quote

My manifold gaskets look good, but was going to try that just to check that off. I did put a new rubber o-ring on the volume control screw, did not help.
supdave66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:19 pm    Post subject: Re: 34 pict-3 will not idle Reply with quote

bnam wrote:

Timing has been checked
supdave66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:22 pm    Post subject: Re: 34 pict-3 will not idle Reply with quote

bnam wrote:

Electronic ignition
Ran great last month, problem just started
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:37 pm    Post subject: Re: 34 pict-3 will not idle Reply with quote

Did you measure your float height? Most rebuild kits for the 34-3 have the wrong washer under the needle shut off valve. This measurement is critical for these 34-3 carbs.

Also, how did you adjust the carb? Many people get stuck in the 2.5 turns open from fully closed. Sometimes the engine needs more so you open the volume screw up to 3 turns out or more.

I've found the only way to really clean these carbs is to put them in an ultrasonic parts cleaner. The vibration removes all the junk from the tiny passages inside them. I had a carb do the same thing you're experiencing. I soaked it in Berrymans, blew the passages out with carb cleaner. Only after I fully disassembled it and cleaned it in the sonic cleaner, did it clean it out and it would idle off choke.

http://www.vw-resource.com/34pict3.html

Here's a good write up to double check your adjustments.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
supdave66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:43 pm    Post subject: Re: 34 pict-3 will not idle Reply with quote

ashman40 wrote:
More details pls....

supdave66 wrote:
This what I have tried.
Rebuilt carb- new everything, even float. [Did this "rebuild" include soaking the carb body overnight and blowing all passages clear with 90psi compressed air?]
Checked timing [What make/model# distributor are you running? How did you set the timing (static/idle/total advance; hoses connected or plugged)?]
Adjusted valves [To what gap?]
Checked for air leaks [See below...]

My first guess from your descriptions is you have a vacuum leak somewhere. The leak is being masked while the choke is ON. When the choke turns OFF the mixture goes lean and you get rough idle.

To confirm it is a lean condition....
    Warm up the engine until the choke is OFF.
    Use the fast idle cam to keep the engine idling. Rotate the cam just enough so the engine remains running for this test.
    Place your flat hand with closed fingers over the top of the carb, sealing the opening. Cover 50% of the opening.
    Slowly slide your flat hand over the carb opening closing off more and more of the opening. This will begin to choke off the air flow.

Normally, as you start to restrict the airflow the idle rpms will slowly drop. It is the same as closing off the air-fuel mixture flowing into the engine. But if you find that the engine idle smooths out or goes UP then you have found a lean running condition (usually caused by a vacuum leak). Blocking off the air flow causes the mixture to go rich. But if the mixture is already lean from an air leak you end up balancing the mixture closer to ideal and the idle rises.

If this test suggests you have a leak try the following test to see if your throttle shaft bores are leaking....
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

With the engine idling, break out the carb cleaner and with the red straw attached spray just to the right of the red lines. The red lines highlight the throttle shaft flanges. To the right of the red line is the narrow gap between the shaft flange and the open end of the carb throttle bore. Focus your spray at this gap while you listen for the idle to change. You might even try pulling the throttle arm to the left to open the gap more.
Do the same to the opposite side of the carb.
These bores wear out over time and open a path for air to leak into the intake. Normal spraying around the carb will NOT highlight the leak. You often need to focus the spray with the straw and purposely hit the gap for any change to be heard.
If this causes the idle to change (up or down)... you have a vacuum leak at your throttle shaft. You will need to send your carb out to have the shaft bores "rebushed" to repair the worn bores.

Loves this write up. There is a lot of good information. Thanks Brother
This what I found so far.
With engine warmed up and on the fast idle cam ( great idea). I sprayed carb cleaner on throttle shaft and rubber manifold boots. Idle did go up on both spots even though boots looked great. I decided to replace boots first. When I took everything apart I could see why they leaked. The aluminum manifolds had oxidized where the boot goes. I did get everything back on, but ran out of time to test. I will button everything up tomorrow and keep you posted.
tisius
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 7:10 am    Post subject: Re: 34 pict-3 will not idle Reply with quote

so what happened, did it take you this long to test it further? Laughing Wink
I hope you resolved it.

Just curious to hear what the cause was, because I have a similar issue going on and I suspect an air leak on the throttle shaft.
Thanks in advance for your explanation!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mdwman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 2:30 pm    Post subject: Re: 34 pict-3 will not idle Reply with quote

I'd like to bump this up; interested to hear the results.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: